Wolff Springs Starting To Piss Me Off!

Info, pictures, advice...
olympus

Post by olympus »

So I got in my recoil spring and my hammer spring for my P-64. I ordered the 22 lbs recoil spring. I know there were some people who had mentioned that there's wouldn't fit and had to do some modifications. Well apparently I'm going to be in that boat too, however, I don't know what I need to do to fix it. I put the spring on the same way the other one came off. It's tapered so I put the tigher end on first which is how the old one came off. I put the new spring on and push the slide back as far as I can, but it won't fit into the groves in the frame. I've even tried having someone else hold the grip while I pushed on the slide and that didn't work either. What exactly do I need to do in order to make this stupid thing fit?
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
olympus

Post by olympus »

doc,

i suggested flattening the ends of the 22# spring when we first got them, I found I didn't have to. I simply push the slide on using the edge of a table or counter, doing this gives me just enough pressure get the slide to pop back over the rails.
Well this is exactly what I did. I didn't even get a chance to read it and try it though. I got frustrated and had to leave it alone for a while. I came back to it a little later and thought up the edge of the table idea and it worked like a charm. I took it all apart and clean it real good and I guess my hands were a little too slick with solvent to do it by hand. But anyway, I got it on without having to do any sanding or dremeling. Hopefully it will still shoot.
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dfunk »

Glad you got the slide back on. Springs can be a real PITA.

On that same token, I'd like to say to anyone reading this thread - please, please, please - shoot your P64 stock without any modifications first. I personally see no reason for a new recoil spring and think it's a waste of money and time. A new mainspring is the only mod I'd even consider, and I've been here long enough to know what works and what doesn't. My pistol is bone-stock - I see no reason to change anything.
Just my opinion.
trace

Post by trace »

I just put the extra power recoil in my p64 and had no problem what so ever. Same wih the hammer spring. Didn't notice any real harder pull with the slide. I heard this problem from many on this site and expected to have to wrench it on. Mine is a '73. The new spring is heaver thickness but relatively the same length and seemed slightly stiffer. I need to get to the rance to test and see if I get any noticable recoil differance. The hammer spring is great with the 18lb. I did not put the firing pin spring in and won't bother if the primer looks like a good strike.
Good luck.
olympus

Post by olympus »

It might depend on the size recoil spring you put on too. I don't know. But I could tell the 22 was a lot beefier just by looking at it compared to the stock one. Once I put it on, I could definitely tell a big difference. It was a little bit longer and quite a bit stiffer. Once I got the slide on, I could even tell that it took more effort to pull the slide back. It might just be that I had a really stiff 22 spring or a really weak stock spring.
shinerjohn

Post by shinerjohn »

I put the 18 lb hammer spring and 22 lb recoil spring in. I ended up with ftf and fte problems even after grinding the poop out of the end of the recoil spring. I went back to the stock recoil spring and she now functions perfectly. The recoil isn't that bad at all. My 2 snubbies (38spl and 357 mag) have worse recoil. So does my PA-63 with a Wolff spring. I may try the 20 lb hammer spring. Single action with the 18 lb is almost scary!!!! I agree with dickfunk: try the pistol with stock springs before you buy Wolff.
olympus

Post by olympus »

Would have been good advice had I heard it before I ordered the springs. I was going to order the hammer spring anyway so I thought if I was going to have to pay shipping on that little thing anyway then I may as well order the recoil spring too. I read on here that a lot of people had went with the 22 so I decided to as well. Now you've got me worried about the FTFs and FTEs. I haven't shot it yet, but I think after work tomorrow I'll swing by the range and let loose 100 rounds and see what happens. Maybe if I shot enough, I'll break the spring in and not have any problems.
Last edited by olympus on December 30th, 2008, 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shinerjohn

Post by shinerjohn »

I'll be interested to know how it goes for you. I feel sure that I can eventually remove enough of the 22 lb recoil spring to make it work fine. As it is, with it being stronger and a tad longer, the slide just wasn't moving far enough for consistent functioning. That's my theory anyway. I needed to get this girl into service so I could send my Ruger LCP in for the recall. I have to carry deep concealment for various reasons/locations and the P64 will be my every day carry for a couple of weeks.
I hope it goes well for you. Keep us posted.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

that's one reason I suggest the 20# recoil spring no cutting on it
I have 4 P-64's 2 with stock recoil springs and two with the 20# all have the 18 # hammer springs

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
shinerjohn

Post by shinerjohn »

Norm,

With the 20 lb recoil spring, did you have to flatten the muzzle end? That's what I'm doing to the 22 #. As I dremel more off, it seems to work a bit better. Evidently, I just haven't flattened it enough yet.

Thanks!
John
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

shinerjohn wrote:Norm,

With the 20 lb recoil spring, did you have to flatten the muzzle end? That's what I'm doing to the 22 #. As I dremel more off, it seems to work a bit better. Evidently, I just haven't flattened it enough yet.

Thanks!
John
John

NO

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
trace

Post by trace »

Just got in from the range. 200 rounds with the extra power recoil and 18 lb. hammer from wolfs, Not a problem one! Recoil is a little bit better. I need to get some better grips, like the ones on the main page. Great accruacy with the silver bear. My thumb knuckle callous is getting bigger though after 1000 rounds!!
shinerjohn

Post by shinerjohn »

That's great news, trace! I went to the range yesterday and fired 100 rounds without incident. I am using the 18 lb hammer spring and the stock recoil spring. The recoil is a little more abrupt than I prefer, but it sure doesn't hurt the accuracy! I did order the 20 lb recoil spring today. I have total confidence in this little lady and she is now my main carry.
trace

Post by trace »

shinerjohn, let us know if you have any problem with the 20 lb. recoil. I had none but others seem to have had problems racking it or fitting it. Good luck with yours, I hope your experience is like mine. My problem with this gun is the back frame that ends above the grip. That flat sharp squair end has built a calouse on by web thumb knuckle. I read one post somewear that the guy filed and re-blued it to fix the same problem. No one else commented. At the range the other day I let a young Navy Seal try out this curious p-64, he was wearing gloves and all geared up with is Sig Combat. On DA, with the 18lb, he kinda looked at me and said this one takes a little getting used to! For a carry gun, I use this p-64 with the safty off and a 6 rnd mag in place since I expect to rack it and shoot in SA. That is how I have been practicing. I did DA's and could ot get the accuracy that I want. My carry is the Mil Pro 111 9mm Tarus. I'm spoiled with the comfort but miss tha accuracy. Maybe, I'll end up just laying out the $$ and get a Walther PPK 9mm. I plan on trying some grips for the p-64 before I basterdize the frame with a file. Any sugestions?