So what else are people shooting?

Info, pictures, advice...
cz83

Post by cz83 »

I usually use my 9mm then 7.62x39 to finish up the day the 22 LR.
preacher

Post by preacher »

I'll forgive ya this time erehwesle. Considering the large number of people who have never even heard of it.
I've heard of them. As a matter of fact if I hadn't overstepped my spending allowance at the last gun show(like who hasn't ever said that before ;)), I probably would have come home with one. I've been kicking that one around pretty hard.

I shoot 9mm a good bit, mostly because of the price of ammo. It is one of your more economical rounds. I have an FEG HiPower clone that I just love. Future purchases is a 1911 of some sort and a CZ52.
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by abwehr »

preacher,

The CZ52 is a great shooting pistol; a little on the hard kicking side, but if we can shoot the P-64, we certainly can shoot the CZ52. Right now the ammo for the CZ52 is the lowest I have seen it and I have been stocking up on it to make sure I have a nice supply. Of course, it has to be the "Winner of the Ugly Pistol Contest", but they do handle well, LOL! The best part is they are one of the best buys on the market for a hard hitting pistol.

I also shoot the 9mmP a good bit because the ammo is low cost. I usually buy the Winchester White Box from WalMart for just over $10 a box of 100 rds. I can't reload for that price.
tunnelrat

Post by tunnelrat »

There is one round listed above that has no votes and it is the .44 Special. I don't know if any of you have this caliber, but I have a Taurus 5" barrel revolver that has the best trigger pull I have felt on a revolver. The mild recoil of the .44 Special makes it a great shooter. This is the pistol I keep by the bed with +P rounds and my wife has a .38 Special on her side.
Yup, I gotta agree that .44 Special makes for a great home defense round. It has roughly the same external ballistics as the .45acp, but the revolver makes it more of a point-and-click interface device for my wife to use. It carries about twice the whack of a .38 Special, yet doesn't deafen and blind you like setting off a .357 magnum indoors.

The primary danger with shooting .44 Specials is that they are wholly addicting. Lotsa power with only a little recoil. If you're not careful, you're gonna wind up visiting fortyfour-anon meetings --

TunnelRat: Hi, my name's TunnelRat and I'm a .44 shooter.
Group (all together): Hi, TunnelRat...
butch50

Post by butch50 »

I have a Star BM 9mm that I like to shoot, almost as much as my SA 1911 45ACP.
pezzonovante

Post by pezzonovante »

Unfortunately, gun laws in Poland preclude most decent guys from legally posessing a gun, but on the other hand - there isn't any law forbidding shooting them, is it? ;)
Actually, I was - and still I'm - too lazy to apply for a license. To get one, I have to join the club, accumulate several years of membership (paying fees each year), and actively pursue the shooting sport by taking part in competition (and of course paying the starting fee every time). Does that sounds like fun to you? Neither to me, even when I have accumulated many years of membership, have a referee and firearms instructor papers, IPSC Range Officer papers, sporting licenses of every size, color and description. No, when I need to pump some lead downrange, I just pick up a telephone and arrange for a shooting session, parasiting on the poor guys who gone through all these ordeals to get their own guns.
Now I'm a deputy editor-in-chief of the Poland's longest-published gun magazine, the STRZA£ (Polish for "Shot"), and for some 15 years I have been earning my keep by writing about guns, translating military technical books - as well as Tom Clancy novels, history books on submarine warfare (including the Silent Victory) and even the paratrooper saga of the Band of Brothers. Over the years spent on the ranges, military R&D facilities, firearms manufacturers etc., I have shot a considerable array of mostly military type small arms, ranging from 4.6 mm HK MP7 we have reviewed for our magazine up to the 23 mm dual AA-gun.
Now if I'd to point out one favorite handgun round, that would be the .45 ACP. I LOVE the KA-BOOM noise it makes instead of sharp CRAACK of the smaller calibers, and I love the gentle rising swell of a 45 ACP pistol (be it a 1911, CZ97, HK USP, Mk23 or Para-Ordnance) as opposed to sharp wrist-bending jump of many other pistols.
7.62x25? In an SMG, yeah, why not. A good PPSh 41 can brighten the day of anyone who loves the smell of gunpowder in a morning. But certainly not in a vz.52 - sorry to break your hearts, fellas. The prorotype CZ491 of 1948 was a 9 mm Luger pistol, with SA/DA trigger, and could have been a good gun. Then came the Commies (Czechs called their "the Commanches") and ordered it re-built into this monstrosity, we now know - with an oversized, flat grip extended to accomodate for the long bottle-shaped case of the 7.62x25.
P-64? Yeah, she's sweat, but my fingers are too long and my palm's too big for her - when the pictureshack is back online, I plan to get myself an avatar, showing my hand struggling to get a grip on the Czak. The P-83 with it's longer grip was much more comfortable. And I loved the grip of the 1967 .380-chambered prototype P-64. Only a handful of these were ever manufactured, and I had the opportunity to handle S/N PB-01 and PB-03. The top is just like an ordinary P-64, but the frame was patterned after the "Czak W" prototype with a 7 rd magazine, and a decent beavertail (never bitten by the hammer of your sweet gals?really?). Again, when I got some free time, you'd get the photos of the .380 P-64, as well as "Czak W" and "Czak M".
I know a guy in Warsaw, who carries a P-64. It took him EIGHT years to get the personal protection (Polish equivalent of CCW) license, despite he is a firearms instructor, owner of ca. 20 rifles, pistols, revolvers etc. I knew a policeman, who shot IPSC matches (!!!!!) with a P-64! Poor Wojtek just wanted to play with us, the dynamic shooting crowd, and all he had was his duty P-64 with two 6rd magazines. When we had a shoot going on, he sweeped his unit's (Police garage) arms locker collecting all magazines he could muster. One time he was only able to get four and the string called for 32 shots. He had to holster his Czak and reload his magazines, while the clock still ticked on! Certainly he became the Red Lantern, but this shows his spirit. Later on his unit got Glocks, and he shot them as well as his P-64. Because, if you can shoot, you would shoot anything shootable - if not, you'd start to find what's wrong with the gun, not with your ability. I know, I'm one of those ::)
OK, I have to get back to work.
Last edited by pezzonovante on January 5th, 2006, 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lobo7oro

Post by lobo7oro »

I could not get over the "one pick" either. Since I was just a lad, I have always enjoyed the .22 long rifle more than any other. Other than that, I have enjoyed the .357 magnum almost as well. I shoot many others, but it is the most enjoyable.