recoil same,worse or not as bad as 357 revolver

Info, pictures, advice...
gumby99

Post by gumby99 »

Hi, wanted to introduce myself and ask a recoil question. Great site by the way. I live only a few miles from J & G guns sales in Prescott, and will be picking up a p-64 tomorrow(made the decision to get it from reading a lot of the posts on this site). Ok anyway on with my question. I have a Ruger Security 6 that I usually fire 357 ammo through instead of the easier to handle 38 ammo, is the recoil on the P-64 equivalent to the revolver?
Thanks Jason
deboog93

Post by deboog93 »

Jason

really is hard to answer since we all experience things differently. My opinion is it is less then a .357 ammo. I would say more on the lines of a 38 special. Some boards I have read where it sounds like people have almost killed their hands shotting 50 rounds through their guns. I found the gun a joy to shoot very accurate nice trigger pull on single action. The sights could stand to be a little larger though just my 2 cents.

de boog
Last edited by deboog93 on December 13th, 2008, 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by blinddog »

gumby99, I find the recoil a little stiff but I don't have any problem cranking off 50 rds or more. It is a very manageable little
pistole (IMHO).

blinddog
bob

Post by bob »

For my 2cents I have to agree with deboog93.Not as bad as a 357.When I have not shot my sp101 in 357 for while I really feel the sting the first time although I do use 158 gr.180 forget it.Not so much sting with the 64.For some shooting the 64 the first time they are thinking 380.Then,it's like wow with 9x18.Yes similar specs for the two but the xtra fps makes the diif in "feel".
bob

Post by bob »

For my 2cents I have to agree with deboog93.Not as bad as a 357.When I have not shot my sp101 in 357 for while I really feel the sting the first time although I do use 158 gr.180 forget it.Not so much sting with the 64.For some shooting the 64 the first time they are thinking 380.Then,it's like wow with 9x18.Yes similar specs for the two but the xtra fps makes the diif in "feel".
big54r

Post by big54r »

hey gumby I just started shooting my 64 after having it locked up for several years and found I love the thing and can easily shoot 50rnds thru it know problem.

I also shoot my wife's .357 snubby rossi and it is stiffer than the 64 but again not bad either with .38spl +p's.

you'll love the 64 as a carry gun...know I just gotta settle on the right "defense" ammo for it.
davebaird

Post by davebaird »

As far with me with recoil, the weight of a handgun and the size of the grip surface contribute a lot to my sensing "recoil". The weight of the P64 is heavy enough, but because the grip surface is small (to me), it adds to the bite when firing. I shot full frame .357 handguns for years and don't think the 'bite' is as harsh as the one from my small gripped P64. But, that's just me. We all tend to look at things differently.

Dave
ronc

Post by ronc »

As stated recoil is kind of a personal thing. I have several magnum revolvers and I feel the recoil differently. I have to say, the two most unpleasant handguns to shoot for me is a short-barreled 41 magnum and the P-64. The recoil of the P-64 was totally unexpected; I would expect a blowback operated gun to absorb more recoil than a locked breech but it doesn't appear to be so. And for an underpowered round, (compared to 9mm Luger) it was really a surprise.

I perceive the P-64 recoil like someone hitting the web of my hand with a stick, a sharp whack. I have shot bigger guns and the recoil is like a hard push into the palm.

ymmv
james832

Post by james832 »

I agree that recoil is different for different people. I replaced the recoil spring (#22) before shooting it. I found the recoil to be almost mild, however the handgun I usually shoot is a 10 inch barrel contender in 357 maximum with early style grip.
shinerjohn

Post by shinerjohn »

Jason, I envy you living so close to J & G! It's probably best that I don't live that close!!
I have a Ruger Security Six 6" barrel, Ruger Blackhawk 6 1/2" bbl, and a Rossi M462 2" bbl. Like you, I shoot 357 rounds in them. I don't think the P64 has worse recoil than my 357's. It's just different. Just as the recoil of the Blackhawk is different from that of the Rossi. I agree with ronc that the P64 smacks me in the web between my thumb and index finger. The 357's recoil is delivered to my entire palm. For me, the width of the grip and design of the frame seems to determine the severity of recoil. My FEG PA-63 bites me worse than the P64!
For functional reliability, I currently use the stock recoil spring. But I do have a 20 lb on order from Wolff.
The P64 is small, reliable, and so amazingly accurate, that I carry it for self-defense. If I ever have to defend myself with it, I doubt I will notice the recoil.
Since you are anticipating noticeable recoil, you may find that it's not so bad after all.
Let us know your opinion after you shoot your P64.
And welcome. I'm new too and the people here are great!!!
electross

Post by electross »

This past weekend I shot both my .357 and brought out the P64 and shot it. At one time I recall advising someone that the re-coil from a P64 was the same as a .357 revolver. Well, not so in my opinion, The .357 from out of a SW model 65-6 was not my idea of a picnic. I don't like the sharp recoil from that round. Out of something else it might be different but out of mine, I did not care for it. The P64 is closer to .38's with a little sting for the hand gripping the pistol. It (the P64) does jump a little with each round fired but is managable, with a set of good wood grips, it should do better. Something that small in a blowback design is going to have some kick. But its going to be accurate also.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

Jason,

First, welcome aboard, its good to have ya with us.

Comparing the P-64 to a .357 is somewhat subjective, by this I mean are we comparing the P-64 with a 3.3" barrel to a 3" barreled .357, what loads are being used in both etc, etc. I have a S&W 4" model 28-2 that with full 158gr loads in my opinion shoots smoother than the P-64, but I also have a 3" S&W model 13-3 and its recoil is much harder than the P-64, I don't have a Ruger Security Six and I'm assuming its a 4" bbl to compare, but I sure wish I did, better yet I'd love getting a 4" Ruger Speed Six or Service Six. So there are lot of factors to consider. However, I can appreciate your question, the best answer I can offer you is you will need to compare them for yourself, but in general for me the .357 has a much heavier recoil than the P-64.

I do understand that some have problems because of hand size and the smallness of the P-64, I really never had the "Bite" some have experienced, and I believe its because the way some hold the P-64, but that is just my $0.02 worth, but I have found that by replacing the import mandated grips or the original grips with "ZEE Grips", it did help reduce the felt recoil and also helped me with fit and feel and the P-64 doesn't slip around in my hand nearly as much, again thats my $0.02 worth.

At one time I thought so much of them I had six sets of Zee grips, I have since given one P-64 to a son in law and sold two others of my P-64's and now only have two P-64's, and I carry one or the other much of the time.

I think you will find that others that have the Zee grips feel pretty much the same way. BTW, Zeeborg is making his grips again and you can find them on here.

papabear
Last edited by papabear on January 6th, 2009, 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
POINT SHOOTER