Ammo Question

Info, pictures, advice...
olympus

Ammo Question

Post by olympus »

I found an ammo thread on the very last page of this forum while I was looking for what people normally shoot. The threads were from 2005 and I didn't notice that at first. I started looking at the prices everyone said they were paying and I thought they much have found a gold mine. $6 for 50! That's freaking crazy compared to what ammo prices are now! I've been doing some searching online for the best place to buy some bulk cheapo ammo. So I thought I would just make a poll out of it since I haven't seen too many on here. The cheapest place I've found is Sportsmans Guide with Wolf being $194.97 for 1000 rounds which comes out to about 19 cents per shot. That's the cheapest I've found, even cheaper than Cheaper Than Dirt. Anyone else have any honey holes?
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Ammo Question

Post by anjdrifter »

I use Silver Bear the most because it is usually around at most wholesalers and always search for the best price.
my favorite for the range is the Norinco when I can find it.
also like the S and B. never ever never use wolf, see the threads about wolf on this site.
mikeh1

Ammo Question

Post by mikeh1 »

I use Barnaul brass plated, also have some Norinco "green box"
olympus

Ammo Question

Post by olympus »

I've read quite a few threads on Wolf on here and haven't really found anything bad. Other than the fact that it's dirty, other people have said they shoot it without problems. Why should I never ever shoot Wolf? Goes bang in my 1911 every time.

I've shot some Norinco .223 before and it was decent but it was given to me. I don't know where to look to find any more though.
Last edited by olympus on December 12th, 2008, 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
donnerwetter58

Ammo Question

Post by donnerwetter58 »

I've had good experiences with Silver Bear, Brown Bear, Mesco and MFS so far as factory loaded ammo.
The loads I shoot most are handloads. Reloading is part of the "hobby" for me and I enjoy it.
I load cast bullets, down loaded for comfort. I generally cast my own bullets with lead pulled from the berm (lead mine) at the gun club range. To this free bullet you add 2 to 3 cents for a primer and a penny in powder. So for less than 4 cents a round you can shoot quite a bit (comfortably).
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Ammo Question

Post by anjdrifter »

the problem I have and others I believe are stovepiping ,miss fires, and problems ejecting, I wont speak for others but it is my experience.as far as their other ammo dont know,with the exception of helping a guy at range who had 3 stuck cases in his ar. when he used other ammo no problems. as far as dirty dont think it is really all that much worse then some of the other ammo. Since any gun I use is cleaned within 1/2 hour the "dirty"
doesnt bother me this is just my own opinion
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Ammo Question

Post by normsutton »

I didn't want to get in to it about Wolf ammo some people get lucky with it, others not so lucky , fried firing pin's, blown out extractors , don't know what kind of powder they are using it doesn't smell right that should tell you something is miss right there

shooting wolf ammo is like putting balled tires on a corvette sooner or later your going to get a blow out and its going to be expensive

I'll shoot all others but I prefer my own reloads

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Ammo Question

Post by normsutton »

I hand load ,cast my own bullets, right now I have enough powder to last me a life time, I have about 4 to 5 hundred pounds of lead, brass I use range 9 mm pickups and cut them back to 9 x 18 , I buy primers a thousand at time , witch is about $25.00, (25 bucks not to bad for a thousand rounds of ammo )

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
olympus

Ammo Question

Post by olympus »

Well that's about my only options. I don't have any wholesalers that I know of in my area. So I'm pretty much forced to buy online if I want bulk. And I must not know where to look to buy other brands. I've tried doing google searches for Norinco ammo but haven't found any. I don't know where else to look for any other ammo either.
primarchbentley

Ammo Question

Post by primarchbentley »

I'm going to have to go with S&B. And no, it isn't because I sneeze out money or anything (if only...). :o

Granted, this is 9x18, and specifically in the P-64 I'm talking about. Why? Between all of my 9x18 family, I've had FTFs, FTEs, and stovepipes with just about every ammunition BUT S&B. So I plan to carry S&B in my P-64 (once the state processes my paperwork ::) ). If I plan to carry S&B, I figure I'm best off practicing with it as well. If I'm going to be placing my life on the line with my P-64, I need to be as sure about my ammo. So I keep shooting S&B, and it keeps delivering.

The P-64 isn't exactly a 'spend a long time at the range shooting' kinda firearm for me, so I usually only send 50 or so rounds downrange at least once every month (usually every other week). Using S&B, I consider it the price I pay to feel secure about my ammunition choice for carry. And my supplier probably loves me for it... ::)

Now my CZ-82 and Makarov, I don't feel bad about feeding them Wolf 'til the cows come home (no more Barnaul for me, my roomates have dubbed it 'stank ammo'. I don't know if was just those few boxes, but -man-, my eyes water a bit just at the memory of it...). But even with them, when I want to tighten up my groups for more 'serious' shooting, I'll usually go S&B.

I really need to get into reloading... Another advantage to the S&B when I do, they seem to have decent brass.
blacktop

Ammo Question

Post by blacktop »

I usually shoot Monarch brand ammo from Russia. I get it locally at Academy Sports for $8.99 per 50. It's a little bit dirty but I've never had any kind of problems It's steel cased, so no reloading but I stock up every paycheck. For the inevitable ban on imported ammo that will be coming...
mirother

Ammo Question

Post by mirother »

Good Discussion, fellows! I just saw that Aim Surplus has 9 X 18 back in stock. It is Silver Bear in FMJ and HP. The FMJ is just under $10 a box; HP is 11.50. I've never had any problems with the stuff.
olympus

Ammo Question

Post by olympus »

Yeah I think I may have to order some from AIM if they still have it after Christmas. I stopped by a gun show this morning and bought 100 rounds of Brown Bear. I guess I didn't know it but says it's Barnaul ammo. We'll just have to see how it shots. For $9 a box, it wasn't too bad I guess.
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

Ammo Question

Post by blinddog »

When I carry, I like either silver bear or hornady. I have had good luck with both. However I am stuck with 1000rds of wolf in 7.62x39 122gr HP, but I kinda got it for free. I really don't like wolf. Nasty stuff :(

blinddog
trace

Ammo Question

Post by trace »

Like blindog, the wolf is great for the ak-47 in 7.62X39 or 308 but I wouldn't shoot it in any pistol since you'd need a sandblaster to clean the barrel. It stinks like hell but like I say, it's great for those AK's and the like, I'v shot thousands without a fail. Ive shot the S&B out of the P-64 and I think it is ok if you get a good price on it. My favorite for this gun so far has been the Silverbear that I have paid around $10. a box. It's pretty clean and accurate and ejects well. I shot some Win. and can't really tell the difference between the two. Primer on Silverbear and S&B looks good too.