Handgun/Rifle Storage

Info, pictures, advice...
fritzhund

Handgun/Rifle Storage

Post by fritzhund »

;)

How do you store your arms?

I know some can afford elaborate humidity controlled safes and such, but how do the rest of you store your collections?

Mine are stored in wooden crates for the most part, with silica gel packets to control moisture. My house, thankfully, is always warm, so I'm not too worried about rust.

Just throwing the thought out there. Maybe there are some really good ideas I'm not aware of............

Fritzhund
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"
Hunter S. Thompson: Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
commandercob

Handgun/Rifle Storage

Post by commandercob »

I generally store mine the same as Fritzhund, in cheapo padded cases with silica gel packets. I live in a dry desert climate, but in the winter I do run humidifiers because of our near worthless baseboard heaters. After cleaning, I try to make sure my weapons are exposed to good dry heat for a while before putting them away.

P.S.
I am notorious for "excessive oil" on my guns, but a couple of weeks ago I found rust on my Sig P225 magazine. I flipped out, and everything got a good new oil bath. I think that rust problem probably had more to do with a shoddy finish on the Sig rather than my conditions.
olympus

Handgun/Rifle Storage

Post by olympus »

I keep my guns in a handmade oak gun cabinet. I too keep my excessively oiled. I keep a nice sheen of Rem Oil all over every one of them!
big54r

Handgun/Rifle Storage

Post by big54r »

I have my weps in a cheapo safe from a big box sports store but it is way to small for all my junk other than the weps and ammo!

I hope to take a welding course and I wanna use a big metal box and a cpl "gun cuffs" from san angelo to make a secondary "cheap" but quality/strong long arm "safe".

also a very good alternative to an xpensive safe is a industrial tool box commonly called a "gang box" from lowes or home depot etc.
dwd

Handgun/Rifle Storage

Post by dwd »

I read on the Makarov website that a guy was using Reynold's new Handi-vac. Where you buy the specially made ziplock bags, vac them down and they should be sealed tight and free from humidity. I think he was throwing in silica pouch.
I liked the idea so much I got one. I thought I would clean and oil it thoroughly, throw in a silica pouch(not touching the gun) and vac it down. I just never got to it. I was never too impressed with the Handi-vac on other things. Sounded like a good idea for hand guns, I don't know if there would be a similar system for long guns?
[url=http://drugstore-onlinecatalog.com/]drugstore-onlinecatalog.com[/url]
barnett3006

Handgun/Rifle Storage

Post by barnett3006 »

For my normal storage I wipe my guns down with RIG. My safe contains several large desiccant packs and a 7 watt florescent light that I keep on all the time to keep it warm and dry in the safe.

For long term storage the best thing ever is to use a Food Saver vacuum packer. The rolls of bag you buy for the food saver are made of very thick, durable plastic that has a wide, strong seal along the long edges of the bag and you can put as many seals on the open ends of the bag as you want. Not to mention that one roll can be used to pack several long guns separately and one roll can be used to pack, I would imagine, at least a dozen handguns if not more. Just wipe your guns down your favorite preservative oil and put them in a Food Saver bag and let the Saver do its thing. I see no need for a silica pack inside the bag, though.
bob

Handgun/Rifle Storage

Post by bob »

I'm glad I listened to my cousinlaw And put an ac duct in my garage.It's nice to work out there and keeps humidity levels low.My firearms are in plain cardboard boxes with the tops open.After 10 yrs living there no problems.Also I think it helps with the elec bill.Garages in Fla can get sweltering.That heat bleeds into the house thru the wall and eveytime you open the door to go out there.Sorry to stray off topic but we have to think green nowadays.
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

Handgun/Rifle Storage

Post by blinddog »

I keep my hand guns in a box inside a safe with silicone pack all in it. I keep my rifles in a silicone lined "socks" that I bought at Wally World. I like Rem oil also, lots of rem oil.
weetabix

Handgun/Rifle Storage

Post by weetabix »

Two cheapo Stack-On security cabinets. One in the basement with a dessicant jar. One in the attic. The attic one is new, and I haven't put a dessicant jar in it yet.

Handguns are sitting on the top shelf of the basement cabinet (lying, gently-placed, about 2 deep ::) ). I really ought to do something about that...

Like buy more handguns so they're stacked 3 deep!
big54r

Handgun/Rifle Storage

Post by big54r »

I need to put some silica/dessicant gel in my American Eagle safe and in my "gang boxes" to help with my humid climate here in the SWest. >:(
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Handgun/Rifle Storage

Post by papabear »

Fritzhund and All,

I don't have a gun safe and I store all my handguns, rifles and shotguns either on a wall or on a gun rack in a open closet in my gun room, I have over 50 guns in all and I found it hard to keep em clean and dry year round, even here in KY we have a lot of humidity in the summer. I solved the rust/finger print/cleaning/protection problem a few years ago with a product called Eezox from Warren Custom Outdoor and let me say I have "no connection with the Warren Co". They carry a full line of gun cleaning and protection products and I have had zero problems with rust period. I clean all my guns, collectibles and shooters with Eezox, its a synthetic 3 in 1 gun care product that is a solvent - lubricant - rust preventative, there is no oily film and dry to the touch. I'm only on my second 4oz can and I get it locally for $5.95, its simply works, it does what it says it will, I still use Hopper's #9 and Rem Oil but for pure protection and cleaning especially for storing, I don't use anything but Eezox.

http://www.eezox.com/index.html

Papabear
POINT SHOOTER
trace

Handgun/Rifle Storage

Post by trace »

That Rem Oil is pretty nice. I've got my Grand pop's double barrel that's about 100 years old leaned up in the closet like it probably has been all it's life. He used 3 in 1 oil and white gas. I have always liked oil on metal and don't leave my tools out in the rain. With guns, like my wife, I take them out once in a while and sleep with them!
nimble1

Handgun/Rifle Storage

Post by nimble1 »

I live in SW Fla next to a salt water canal. Not the best environment for guns...LOL My pistols are stored on metal racks in the gun safe. Of course my house is climate controlled and I always wipe the guns down with BreakFree. I have had no rust problems at all. I do check them about once a month to be sure.
Last edited by nimble1 on December 30th, 2008, 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.