Some Observations

Info, pictures, advice...
kempin

Some Observations

Post by kempin »

Hey gang,

Just picked up p-64 #2 yesterday; a beautiful, new, twin of the 1975 that I already owned. (Congratulations--you made me do it!)

I took the time to read through the little manual that came with it and found that, having a little experience this time, I noticed a few things that I had missed the first time through.

First, as I looked at the "specs" of the pistol, I saw that it was designed to shoot a 71 grain jacketed bullet at just over 1000 fps. That is nearly 20 grains lighter than the lightest Mak bullets on the market today! I felt pretty good in my earlier conclusion that typical Mak loads are more than this pistol were designed for. It is chambered for the Mak dimensions, and is able to handle Mak loads (as per USSR specifications), but it was DESIGNED for a different load.

As a hand loader, this makes me think that I am on the right track to be loading down for this pistol. What I would really like to know is where I can get some of those smaller bullets. If this pistol performs this well with factory Mak loads, what will it do if you shoot the loads it was designed for?

For what is is worth . . .

Also, I noticed that in the "demo" pictures, the trigger of the demo model--which looked very "factory--had grip lines on it. My p-64s have smooth triggers. Were the triggers different in different issue years? Just curious.

God bless and Straight shooting,

-Kempin
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Some Observations

Post by abwehr »

Kempin,

My face is RED! I never noticed this bit of information either. Great post to let us know about it. I am with you, where can we find these bullets? I wonder if we were to take a standard Mak bullet (round nose), and cut the "business end" off until the correct weight was attained, it would work OK? Or, cut the tip off and drill out the lead center until the weight was correct? This would take some time, but for a test, it might be fun. Unfortunantly, I can't do this as I will be leaving for Washington State for several weeks.
kempin

Some Observations

Post by kempin »

I understand that LEE will make custom bullet moulds, but I am not personally set up for casting. (In fact, I've never done it, and wouldn't know where to begin.)

Any expert help available?

Any sources of old surplus bullet in Poland?

This could be interesting . . .

-Kempin
bzinggg
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Some Observations

Post by bzinggg »

http://www.dakotaammo.net/products/glaser/powrball.htm

Take a look at the Makarov round listed on this page! 8-)

This is the answer, and WHAT a round!!! Of course, most of us can't afford to blast away hundreds of these at the range, but the size is perfect , bullet-wise, and these will probably feed better than any other bullet. Great personal defense round.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Some Observations

Post by normsutton »

KEMPIN

LEE all ready makes a mould # 90466 its a conical mould they say the wt. of the bullet is 95 grn. but waigh the bullet after it's cast to make shure.

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
kempin

Some Observations

Post by kempin »

Norm,

I know about the 95 grain bullet mould, though I don't yet cast my own. I was wondering about a lighter bullet, in the 70 grain range. Ideally, I would like to try a jacketed bullet, but cast may be the only practical option.

God bless and straight shooting,

-Kempin
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Some Observations

Post by normsutton »

KEMPIN

I'll galdy send you 5 or 6 of these bullets cast from my mould to try out
at no cost to you
thats what I carey in my guns

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
kempin

Some Observations

Post by kempin »

Norm,

That is a very kind offer!

I am currently shooting 95 grain cast bullets, though I don't do the casting. If yours are lighter, I would love to try them.

-Kempin
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Some Observations

Post by normsutton »

KEMPIN

I useing the 95 grn. lee mould but becaues of scrap lead Iam useing they weigh about 100 grn's

but I am glad some one else shoots cast bullet's too

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage