Reloading Products!

Info, pictures, advice...
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Reloading Products!

Post by gunneyrabbit »

This is probably the wrong place for this but it doesn't seem to fit anywhere else either. Any one else having a problem finding bullets, primers and powder? I went to several of our local sporting goods stores yesterday in search of hand gun caliber reloading materials and found zilch! The only calibers that were left were 30 carbine and the big boar revolver calibers and darned few of those. I just got into reloading and it looks like the entire country is running scared and hording every thing they can get their hands on. Like one fellow at one store said,
"you can't sell it if you don't have it"
Is this a glimpse of things to come or is it like this every year at this time?
G.R.
Last edited by gunneyrabbit on November 29th, 2008, 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Reloading Products!

Post by normsutton »

when I buy powder and primer's I buy at gun show or if I need it real fast I get at the range,
I shoot a lot of lead bullets so I cast my own, get mould's at http://www.leeprecision.com/ or http://www.midwayusa.com/ same with dies and some jacketed bullets , I don't like to buy brass normally get that at the range form pick ups

NORM
Last edited by normsutton on November 29th, 2008, 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Reloading Products!

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Norm, I bought several thousand lead reloads and the darn things lead up my barrels so badly that I no longer shoot them. I know that adding tin to the formula stops leading from happening. What percentage tin is necessary in the formula to stop leading from happening and where do you get your lead and tin from? I also note that molds come in heat treated steel or aluminum, which molds do you suggest?
G.R.
Last edited by gunneyrabbit on November 30th, 2008, 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Reloading Products!

Post by normsutton »

G.R.

for a beginner caster I would think the aluminum moulds are better because you get handle's with the moulds and they are much more easer to learn to cast with and cheaper too . I use wheel weights and drop them from the mold hot into cold water to harden the casting, use the right type of bullet lube , I cast rifle bullets and I get no leading for SKS, 303 brit. ,7.62 x 54 r ,

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
dolang1
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Reloading Products!

Post by dolang1 »

Gunneyrabbit, I use solder to mix with pure lead. It doesn't take much. A guy on another forum said that he was a brass whore before he became lead whore.

Normsutton, Do you use gas checks with 7.62X39 and 54R? I have not cast these bullets but that is my next step. I don't have a sizer. Just been using tumble lube Johnson Paste Wax. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Later Don
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Reloading Products!

Post by gunneyrabbit »

I read that when using carbide dies lube was not necessary, I gather from Dons and your entry's that lube is necessary to stop leading, I guess I need to read more books.
G.R.
P.S.
I'm ashamed to admit it but I believe the phrase brass whore may apply. ;)
G.R.
Last edited by gunneyrabbit on November 30th, 2008, 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
barnett3006

Reloading Products!

Post by barnett3006 »

Reloading supplies are going about as fast as high cap mags and "assault" weapons are going >:( MidwayUSA has damn near every reloading tool/component, in popular caliber, on backorder!

I have been reloading for awhile now, but I have only recently start casting my own bullets. I have molds for 9mm, 9mm Mak, 10mm, 45 acp and I have 2 .30 cal rifle molds. I havent shot any of my handgun cal cast bullets (I have cast a bunch of them though) but I have fired the 30 cal bullets in my Saiga 308. I have not fired for accuracy, I was trying to get the action to reliably cycle. The bullets from my 160gn mold, when gas checked and lubed, weigh in at 165gn and I got them running at 1800 fps but wouldn't cycle the action at all. The bullets from my 200gn mold , lubed and checked, weigh 205gn and I found that any load that runs above 1400 fps will cycle the action every time! ;D All that and not a single indication of lead in the bore 8-)

My molds are all Lee aluminum molds, I use a 50/50 mix of beeswax and extreme pressure molly grease as a lube for my rifle bullets, my lead is straight wheel weights and I use Hornady gas checks.

With carbide dies you don't need to lube the case to reload, however, any lead bullet that will be traveling faster then 600 fps (or so) NEEDS some kind of lubricant on the bullet. Glen Fryxell has a good article on what bullet lube does http://www.lasc.us/FryxellLubeCastBullets.htm He has allot of other useful articles on that website as well. Norm told me about this site http://www.castbulletassoc.org/forum/ lots of great stuff there to.