Newbie Here

Info, pictures, advice...
olympus

Newbie Here

Post by olympus »

Hey everyone, I'm a newbie here. I stumbled across this site doing a little research on a future gun purchase. I started off looking for Makarovs but have found them to be hard to find in my area and the prices on GunBroker are a little too steep. Then I migrated towards the PA-63, but eventually decided that I don't care for the looks of them. Then I came across the P-64s. For some reason I'm just drawn to these little guns! Now I just have to have one! I've read every article and forum post practically available so I think I get a pretty good idea about what these little guns are like.

My question is where can I get one? I live in the Kansas City, MO area and found one dealer in the area that has one for $220 and he won't come off the price a bit. First question is, can I buy one any cheaper than that? Second question, where should I look to get one that's in the absolute best condition? I'll look forward to joining your ranks once I find one to buy!
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Newbie Here

Post by normsutton »

olympus

welcome

there is only two places to get them now cheap

http://mcsfirearms.com/store/index.php? ... 08b30b388b it looks like MCS is all sold out now

http://www.jgsales.com/index.php/handgu ... ath/16_385

NORM
Last edited by normsutton on November 28th, 2008, 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

Newbie Here

Post by blinddog »

olympus, If it makes you feel any better I bought 3 and each one cost $199 bucks and each was purchased from a different shop. I suppose that given the rise in cost of things maybe $220 isn't so bad after all. Just MHO. And welcome!!

blinddog
olympus

Newbie Here

Post by olympus »

Thanks for the info. What would you call the condition of the ones that come from J&G? The one that the guy at the gun shop had he called "surplus new" which it looked like it had never been fired but there were some scratches on the muzzle end of the slide. It only came with one mag and no box or manual or anything. What can I expect from J&G? Will it be in better, same, or worse condition? It sounds like I need to be making my purchase within the next week or so.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Newbie Here

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Olympus, welcome aboard, good to have a new member.
G.R.
olympus

Newbie Here

Post by olympus »

Thanks for the welcome! I'll probably call the gun shop and see if the ole boy will take $200 cash for his. His is a TN import that has the markings underneath the muzzle. I think I can deal with the scratches and will probably get a lot of wear on it myself. I'd like to use it as a carry.

Is there an official picture thread around here? I'd looked but haven't found anything except a misc pictures here and there. If there's not one, someone definitely needs to start one. Picture threads are my favorite way to pass the time. I love looking at how people customize theirs to their taste. Plus, it gives me some ideas as well. Where can I find a pic thread?
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Newbie Here

Post by normsutton »

olympus
this a good of place as any

http://p64.proboards67.com/index.cgi?bo ... 149&page=1

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
olympus

Newbie Here

Post by olympus »

Thanks for the link!
olympus

Newbie Here

Post by olympus »

I'm making the purchase tomorrow from J&G. I guess I can deal with the import billboards. I had my FFL send a copy of the license, but J&G says they get so many in per day that I should call back tomorrow and make sure they get to it by then. I'm going to go ahead and pay an extra $10 for them to hand pick the best one. Should I do that or not? Someone (maybe fritz) said he checked with them and said they were a week or two behind. So I asked them and they said they have plenty in stock and they said the gun will ship the same day the sale is made and will take either one or two days to get to the dealer. Looks like I'm going to be officially joining the P-64 family by the end of the week.
davebaird

Newbie Here

Post by davebaird »

Congrats! Let us know how the transaction goes and definately if you like the pistol! Dave (I really love mine!)
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Newbie Here

Post by normsutton »

sure would like to see some pix of all these new guns coming in
don't let the gunny get you

http://p64.proboards67.com/index.cgi?bo ... hread=1542
NORM
Last edited by normsutton on December 1st, 2008, 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
olympus

Newbie Here

Post by olympus »

Yes, I'll be sure and take pictures of it when I get it. I made the purchase today. I didn't really want to wait. I didn't buy from the gun shop though. I decided to buy from J&G. I was going to pay the extra $10 for a handpicked one, but they guy I talked to told me that it really would be pointless. He said they're all basically in the same condition, and that almost all had never been issued. So I broke down and bought one. $181 and some change was the price which included shipping. I found an FFL that would do the transfer for $15 so I'm looking at $196 total tax, shipping, and FFL fee. Not too bad I thought. They said it would take 2 weeks to ship because they were backed up. The person I talked to earlier they said probably wasn't in the sales department because she told me it would the day of the sale. Apparently they have so much stuff going out that the UPS truck can't take all of it at one time. So give me a couple weeks and I'll have pictures up.
dwd

Newbie Here

Post by dwd »

I guess I got in on this a little too late, looks like you have already bought.
Did you check with showmeshooters in Claycomo? The last time I was there they had the best buy on PA-63s and I think they had p64s, don't recall though.
I've had good experience with J&G too.
[url=http://drugstore-onlinecatalog.com/]drugstore-onlinecatalog.com[/url]
olympus

Newbie Here

Post by olympus »

I've literally called every gun dealer in the big KC Metro yellowpages. Not one single real Makarov, which was what I started out looking for. Only one place had a PA-63 and that was the Olathe Gun Shop and it was showing some rust spots and I wasn't impressed. The only other Makarov caliber was a P-64 in Tonganoxie, KS for $220, no extra mag or box or manual. I stopped and looked at it and it was decent, but the guy would not come down a single dollar from the price. So after calling every gun dealer, there were only Makarov caliber guns and nobody had any plans for getting any more in. And from what I'm hearing from everyone who's bought from J&G, their P-64s sound like the best around. That's why I went with them.