feeding problem

Info, pictures, advice...
darrell

feeding problem

Post by darrell »

I bought my P 64 in January finally got to take it out and shoot it, but had some feeding problems. I initially thought it was a recoil spring problem. The gun store had told me if you put the spring in wrong the gun would jam and not feed right. I got home and looked it up and the spring was in right so I guess I will take it to the gun smith. It had to be working in January as the gun smith did a trigger job. Guess I will find out what went wrong in a few weeks.
Darrell
Last edited by darrell on June 3rd, 2006, 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bzinggg
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

feeding problem

Post by bzinggg »

Hello darrell,

May I ask what ammo you were using?
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

feeding problem

Post by abwehr »

darrell,

Welcome to the Forum, we are glad you came here and I know some of the guys will be able to help.

I will take a shot at some of the most obvious...... Has the pistol been TOTALLY cleaned? there is a light rust preservative that comes on the pistol, and until all of it is removed, the pistol is a little sluggish.

What is happening when it does not feed? How often does it not feed? Did the gunsmith polish the feed ramp? Were you shooting round nose ammo? With a little more information, we should be able to help.
darrell

feeding problem

Post by darrell »

What I believe the problem was I needed to lubricate and clean the slide. I lubricated the slide and cleaned it. What was happening was that every few rounds the slide would not completely cycle and I could not pull the trigger. It looked like the slide was not completely closed. I would remove the round and it would cycle a few more rounds. One thing that kind of threw me off was the gun shop told me if I put the recoil spring in backward it would cause the same thing to occur. I checked the rcoil spring and small end was at the base of barrel. There is no visible damage to any of the compents. The gunsmith cleaned it and did a trigger job in january so I know it worked fine then. He used part of the wolf ammo and I used the rest, all the ammo did shoot when I could pull the trigger. The slide felt like it did not have any lubricant on it. Does this sound reasonable. If so I will go out and shoot a few rounds to check it out. (Went out and fired a couple magazines no problem)
Darrell
Last edited by darrell on June 4th, 2006, 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

feeding problem

Post by abwehr »

darrell,

Glad the pistols working OK now. I figured it was in need of cleaning and forgot to mention lubication!

One thing I like to do is use some polishing compound and polish the feed ramp. Just a polish and not remove any metal. This helps initially with feeding, but with time, the feed ranp will naturally polish itself from the rounds feeding in.

How is the accuracy of your pistol?
darrell

feeding problem

Post by darrell »

The accuracy is good. The recoil is a lot less than I thought it would be it. I had heard it was pretty sharp but it was not really any more than my CZ - 52. I have realitively small hands so that probably helps too.I just felt it in my palm instead of my fingers. The toughest part of the pistol is getting the slide back on the frame. I guess I just need to break the pistol in a little more. It takes considerable effort to get the slide back on. Maybe it will get a little easier with use. The pistol I got does not appear to have been used. It is in excellent condition and made in 1972 so it has the modified hammer. When I lubricated the slide the first round did not fully chamber so I got it out and the next 10 rounds went through great. I think it is a combination of lubrication and breaking it in..
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

feeding problem

Post by abwehr »

darrell,

I have small hands too and the recoil does not bother me either. Getting the slide back on 2 of my 3 pistols is easy, but 1 of them takes a couple of tries before it drops in place. It appears the tolerances are close in this area. Actually, for a ComBloc pistol, all the tolerances were held pretty close.

Most new handguns do need a little "break-in" period before they soot perfect. There are always a few burrs, sharp edges, and some crud you seem to never find. After firing, the burrs disappear, the metal smooths up and it runs great. Proper lubrication is imperrative with any firearm. my rule of thumb is sliding parts get grease and other parts get oil. I normally use Break Free oil and Castol Wheel Bearing grease (the green stuff in a tube). There are a LOT of greases on the market, but plain old waterproof high pressure grease is low cost, and works. I live in the South and Winter is not much problem with the heavier type greases, but if you live in a COLD area, a thinner grease may be needed when cold.

A friend of mine just gave me 2 tubes of a Shell synthetic grease that really looks promising. It seems to stay put better than most. To me, lubrications is paramount to a firearm operating properly.
kempin

feeding problem

Post by kempin »

Hey Darrell,

Don't forget to take into account that this is probably a "new" gun, and needs to be broken in.

My first few times I took mine to the range, I was afraid that I had wasted my money on a "lemon." With a little usage, however, it broke in to the point where it feeds reliably and cycles "like butta." Be patient.

There is some ammo that has a reputation for not feeding well--Silver Bear 115 gr jhp in my experience.

God bless and straight shooting,

-Kempin
bzinggg
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

feeding problem

Post by bzinggg »

Hey Kempin,

I, indeed did have some trouble with the Silver Bear 115gr HP
when I first loaded up with it.
I discovered that the length of the lips on the magazine is the issue with this round.
Out of 12 magazines that I own, 4 of them needed trimming.
Observing the Silver Bear 115 HP in comparison with other cartridges that fed well, I noticed a little added length at the crimp at the base of the Silver Bear cartridge.

I had no problem with the cartridge in my Bulgarian or my East German Makarov.

Using a fine file, I smoothed just a 32nd of an inch, maybe even less, of the forward corner of the mags that wouldn't feed, as illustrated here:

After filing, I polished the bare place with 600 wet-or-dry sandpaper, then applied cold blue to the shiney spot.

All of my pistols feed this super self defense round in reliable fashion, now, and I shoot it at the range as well. The modification did not affect how my pistol fed other rounds whatsoever.

I'm hoping J&G Sales or AIM gets some more in because I can't find it anywhere and I really like it. It is a hotter round than most, but not unreasonably so. Consistency is great and produces good accuracy.

As far as felt recoil goes, it's there, but being a cabinetmaker, metal worker, mechanic and remodler for years, I have strong, medium sized hands. I love shooting it and it makes my pistols
function great! 8-) :) 8-)
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

feeding problem

Post by abwehr »

bzinggg,

I have found the same "fix" you performed on other magazines too. I have a semi auto Sten that works reasonably well, but 80% of the magazines needed just that little bit of material removed to feed reliably. I think the edges of these magazines are sharp and want to create a lot of friction as the round is feeded. The smoothing of the edge does indeed help many magazines. A great illustrated post, thanks!