Need help!

Info, pictures, advice...
kempin

Need help!

Post by kempin »

Ok, guys, I need some assistance.

No, it has nothing to do with technical knowledge or shooting experience--it is purely psychological.

My problem is this: Don't have much money for gun stuff right now, and what I did have was spent on a 1938 Mosin Nagant 91/30. (Shoots like a dream, by the way.)

I am very happy with my p-64. Shoots well, carries comfortably, and I found a load for it that I just love. There is no practical reason that I need a second one for backup or parts, is there?

Now don't get me wrong--I'm not just looking for an excuse. I really don't have the money to spend right now. But I also know that the supply is starting to dry up (Didn't see a single one at the gun show last weekend), and the $139 price at SOG is like a hanging curve ball.

Here is the psychology: Little voices are telling me to buy another one while I still can. The problem is that I can't tell if those are the voices of reason and wisdom, or just a symptom of the gun buying "fever" that I am sure we all know too well.

Can you help a guy sort out his little voices?

God bless and straight shooting,

-Kempin
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Need help!

Post by dfunk »

The fever catches everyone at one time or another. But in your "little voices'" defense, I occasionally search Gunbroker.com for deals and "just to see" and upon my last search for P64, I only found a few and they all started at $150.

This board is a double-edge; as the word gets out about how great and easy to work on this gun is, more people buy 'em up. I would listen to the voices and at least buy one more for parts. The prices will rise and the quantity will fall. Strike while the iron's hot.
Last edited by dfunk on May 31st, 2006, 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Need help!

Post by abwehr »

I hace to agree with "dickfunk" on this point! These pistols are drying up and I have seen the prices rise in the past 6 months. If you can get them for $150 including the tax & transfet fee, buy it!

I have a NIB E. German Makarov that I got about 6-7 years ago and I paid $139 from AIM. Since this pistol in mint condition, I should be able to sell for $350
larry

Need help!

Post by larry »

"sog" has them "new unissued" 139.00, good luck.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Need help!

Post by normsutton »

BUY 2 AND MAKE $20.00

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
amd6547

Need help!

Post by amd6547 »

Abwehr is right. I also bought an East German Makarov several years ago for about $150. After several years of shooting and carry, I sold it last year for $350.
I think the P64 could hit $300 after the supply dries up.
"I was so much older than, I'm younger then that now..."
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Need help!

Post by abwehr »

I honestly feel the pistols will definetly go up in price. From the first one I bought, the last one cost me $25 more. Once the supply from the dealers are gone, the price will go to at least $250-300.

Get some for shooting and fun, and the others as investments! A win-win situation. You should not lose any money on the shooters.
kempin

Need help!

Post by kempin »

Well, I ordered one.

SOG was the last remaining place I saw them for $139, unissued. (Most dealers now have them in the $165 range) $20 shipping and $15 transfer, and I can't complain. I only wish I had the money to buy more, buy hey, I'm not a dealer or an investor. I hope to get many years of use and enjoyment.

(Okay, if they spike to the price of Lugers, I might consider selling ONE of them, but I have to keep one to honor my Polish heritage.)

Congratulations. You finally turned me into a multiple p-64 owner.

God bless and straight shooting,

-Kempin
kempin

Need help!

Post by kempin »

By the way,

Speaking of prices going up, I noticed that the Rock Island 1911's at Sarco went up $25. Glad I bought mine when I did.
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Need help!

Post by abwehr »

kempin,

Congratulations on the purchase! Please let us know when it comes in and how it looks.

Speaking of the Rock Island 1911A1, I got mine from a friend who bought it for $289 (I think that is close) and I got the pistol, GI magazine pouch and 4 spare magazines for $300 cash. That was a good deal for me! I really like the RI .45, it is made as combat pistol should be made.
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Need help!

Post by himmel »

Hey, amd, where did you sell that Mak?? I have one of those, maybe I should sell it and get two CZAKs...
tunnelrat

Need help!

Post by tunnelrat »

Well, I ordered one.
Yup, casting all caution to the wind...

We knew you couldn't hold out (that's why I recently got another P-64 myself...).
steve98664

Need help!

Post by steve98664 »

kempin,

I just have the one P-64 but I was very happily surprised to see the "like new" shape when it showed up. I've had mine for 6-9 months, no complaints to speak of.

With a surplus pistol, no spare parts and not too much documentation outside of this board out there, its probably a good idea to have a 2nd just for comparison if something gets broken or mis-assembled. I have considered it for this reason and the low price.

Last time out to the range, I noted the great accuracy. This pistol is on par for me with my CZ-82 and my Mak for accuracy up to 15 yards.