Harsh recoil

Info, pictures, advice...
davebaird

Harsh recoil

Post by davebaird »

Hi guys. :) I haven't had a day above 25 degrees to try my new P-64 yet, :'( so I speak as a newbie. Do we know why the P-64 has so much more recoil than a Makarov? I compared both guns and the P-64 is a little smaller and lighter, but is that all it takes to multiply the recoil? I have read horror stories on this forum about the recoil, including bruised and bloodied fingers. I never had a problem with the Makarov.

Thank you, Dave 8-)
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Harsh recoil

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Recoil is harsh, of that there is no doubt, that is why most all of the folks who buy these pistole's replace the recoil spring with a heavier one from Wolff Gun Springs. Frankly I can't imagine why the manufacturer built them with such light recoil springs other than to save dollars. The economics of post war era soviet block country's was abysmal, not exactly rolling in dough. My guess is that the pistol was not originally designed that way and the design was altered by the government to reduce cost.
G.R.

P.S.,
I have two that are unaltered that I shoot periodically and have never broken a bone or bloodied a finger. Those are the kinds of comments that are made by so called "Gun Experts" who have never handled one of these fine little pistole's let alone fired one.
G.R.
Last edited by gunneyrabbit on November 22nd, 2008, 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crzbiker

Harsh recoil

Post by crzbiker »

When I first obtained my P64 I was surprised by the recoil and the trigger pull. I replaced both the recoil spring and the hammer spring(bought from Wolf) and it shoots beautifully. On this site there are stickies that walk you through the process of replacing the hammer spring by Norm Sutton, our resident guru, gunsmith and all around expert. :-*
Instigator/Conservative Underground
torpeau

Harsh recoil

Post by torpeau »

davebaird wrote: Hi guys. :) I haven't had a day above 25 degrees to try my new P-64 yet, :'( so I speak as a newbie. Do we know why the P-64 has so much more recoil than a Makarov? I compared both guns and the P-64 is a little smaller and lighter, but is that all it takes to multiply the recoil? I have read horror stories on this forum about the recoil, including bruised and bloodied fingers. I never had a problem with the Makarov.
Assuming you have strong springs in both, the lighter weight of the P-64 and the smaller area where you grip it make for more recoil than a Mak. The P-64 is a favorite of mine, but I don't like to run more than 50 rnds thru one at the range. I'm constantly adjusting how I grip it, but still come back with a nick sometimes.
"The only time we see the middle of the road
is as we run from side to side." R.O. Clark
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

Harsh recoil

Post by blinddog »

I shoot mine as is. I replaced the springs in them at first, but later changed them to the origional that was in the pistole when I purchased it. I happen to like it that way, and after some time on the range one can get use to the recoil easily, just squeeze the you know what out of the grip at first. :'(

blinddog
davebaird

Harsh recoil

Post by davebaird »

You fellas are pretty great, thank you! ;D Evidently the smaller size is a cause, the smaller grip sure seems very plausible, and because the difference is so drastic from Mak to P-64, it must be something to do with the design as well, namely the spring tension. It is good to have the first shot as a safety......but that first shot needs to be placed properly.

Thank you all for your assistance and if anyone else has any ideas I'll be glad to hear them. I can't wait to get out and shoot mine. :'( My holster from Derek came today and it is a beauty. I think I'll use my belly band to carry it, but had to have an issue holster as well!!!

God bless, Dave
barnett3006

Harsh recoil

Post by barnett3006 »

davebaird wrote:I haven't had a day above 25 degrees to try my new P-64 yet
I don't think your gun cares how cold it is! ;D ;) Get out there and pop off a mags worth, if only at a tree stump. I hate to see a good gun go unfired. 8-)
pshootr

Harsh recoil

Post by pshootr »

I have both a P-64 and an F.E.G. R-61, which is like an S.M.C. - .380 only in 9mm Makarov. Both are virtually the same size, but the R-61 has an aluminum frame and is therefore lighter. Comparing the issue recoil springs the lighter R-61 has a considerably lighter recoil spring as well. Oddly, I find the lighter weight R-61 has considerably less felt recoil too.
trace

Harsh recoil

Post by trace »

I just picked up my p64 at a show here in portland oregon yesterday. I knew that the trigger pull was harsh but after finding this site and all the help form experts like norm sutton I tore down and cleaned, prepped and shot it today with 50 of the Silver Bear Russan ammo and my first 12 out of 12 were in the 8" and this gun rocks! I ordered the spring pack from wolff and I think that should do it. The casings look good post shot so even though it's a surplus cheep gun with cheep ammo that isn't too stinky and dirty I'll try and carry the hornady. I'm looking for more clips and grips. I don't think the mag extension is a good idea eather. Thanks to all for the site and selfless help.
You All Rock!!!
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Harsh recoil

Post by normsutton »

trace

Welcome to the wonderful world of the P-64, sounds like you are on the right path with your P-64, we like a lot pix here so show your's off

for the guy's and if we have any girls here this is how you post pix, http://p64.proboards67.com/index.cgi?ac ... ge=1#24473

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Harsh recoil

Post by himmel »

Just to add-- I kept my P64 in original condition-- and i have yet to bloody a finger, etc. But I do notice the recoil after a while...
davebaird

Harsh recoil

Post by davebaird »

Thanks guys. ;) I was hoping my Wolff springs would have arrived today, but they did not. :( But, it won't stop me from ducking out to the range Thanksgiving morning to try this bad boy out! :o ;D I have some Silver Bear and the Mesko Polish ball ammo to wring it out with. I cleaned it well....I use Dunk-it and a stiff toothbrush and Hoppes to clean it, then Militec to lube. I'll let you know how it goes!