Firearms and political trends

Info, pictures, advice...
primarchbentley

Post by primarchbentley »

As I wasn't really in the firearm buying market last time we had a political swing like this, I'm curious about how things were like last time (when it was known Clinton was coming into office, with a Democratic majority in the House and Senate) since I know a few of ya'll are a bit more "old hands" at this, especially in the mil-surp market.

I know politics are often a subject to be avoided on forums like this, but I'm curious as to what the impact was like 16 years ago.

Thanks to Wikipedia, I know in the two-year block between when Clinton came into office (start of '93) and when the Republicans took back the House and Senate (in the start of '95), we saw such things as Brady and the "Federal Assault Weapons Ban." So I have an idea about how things may go for legislation in the next 2 years (ie. a re-instatement of the "Federal Assault Weapons Ban" for starters, as seen in legislation such as http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c110:H.R.6257:)

But what about the last months of '92, before the actual change of power in '93?

I went by my local store and range Sat., and the owners said that weekday sales had increased about 3 times what they were since the election. When I went by Sun. to actually spend some time at the range (to try out my new (to me) P-6), they were so busy I couldn't even find a place to park. As I had intended to fill out my own collection a bit before the end of the year, I wonder how it may be affected since the elections. :(

So based on previous experience, what can I look forward to until Jan.? If the trend follows, will there be a major 'rush' on firearms and ammo? Will it be likely that certain firearms (say, semi-auto military surplus rifles) will see more of a rush than others? Also, in '92-'93, did the "panic" settle down after a while, or did it extend well into '93? In this "rush," are we likely to see to see price increases as well?
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

primarchbentley

a big increase on ammo and gun prices and its already started

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
pshootr

Post by pshootr »

A 2009 Christmas Carol:

When all of a sudden/There arose such a noise/I peered out of my window/ Saw Obama and his boys.

They had come for my wallet./ They wanted my pay/ To give to the others,/ Who had not worked a day!

He snatched up my money /And quick as a wink /Jumped back on his bandwagon/ As I gagged from the political stink.

He then rallied his henchmen,/ Who were pulling his cart./ I could tell they were out /To tear my country apart!

They took off for his cause, /And as he flew out of sight,/ I heard him laugh at the nation, /Who wouldn't stand up and fight!
barnett3006

Post by barnett3006 »

I was a kid when Clinton came to power, so what I say here is not first hand experience but rather me learning on my own trying to understand what happened and how it took place.

From what I understand about his campaign races he indicated several times that he favored an "assault weapon" ban of some sort. However, seeing as how gun ownership is a constitutionally guaranteed right and that this mass communication network (internet) did not exist, very few people believed that congress could pass such a ban and that a president would even sign that ban into law. The "panic" and "rush to the gun store" didn't happen until months before the ban went into effect. I clearly remember those few months, my dad wasn't even interested in the kinds of guns that would be banned until the ban passed...then he realized he needed those kinds of guns because in a few months he wouldn't be able to get them anymore.

Now, everyone KNOWS that that kind of law can and will be passed again. I read some new gun ban naysayers on the net now, they think that because of the Heller and Hamden court rulings that now "assault weapons" ban can survive constitutional muster because the SCOTUS will just rule them unconstitutional. Yeah, well...what happens when Obama gets to appoint his 3 new judges to SCOTUS? I can guarantee you that those judges are not going to be NRA A+ rated judges that are going to give a damn about Heller, or the 2AD for that matter.

Not to mention that the President, at any time, can ban the importation of foreign guns, ammo and accessorize. THAT kind of ban doesn't even require a Congressional sub-committee roll call vote, it only requires a stroke of the presidential pen.

Needless to say, we know what happened and we know it can happen again...the "panic" started months ago...
dbsoundguy

Post by dbsoundguy »

Yeah, well...what happens when Obama gets to appoint his 3 new judges to SCOTUS? I can guarantee you that those judges are not going to be NRA A+ rated judges
This is my big concern also.... :(

The day after the election, my wife ordered bulk ammo from Cabelas and it is on a 2 week back order..This happened real fast >:(

One of the links that Norm gave me on ammo is gone ..I checked it that night and went to show my wife the next day and it was a different ammo

I know that ammo went up 7.00 more the week of the election at my gun store..these guys were not happy..It is already expensive to buy...

It feels like troubled times ahead ::)

Not to mention that the President, at any time, can ban the importation of foreign guns, ammo and accessorize. THAT kind of ban doesn't even require a Congressional sub-committee roll call vote, it only requires a stroke of the presidential pen.
Now that is interesting.... :o
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by blinddog »

I'm one of the old guys ( like a few others :D ). When there is even a percieved threat to the 2nd gun and ammo go up, sales go up and sometimes with good reason. I know the guy that is voted in to be Commander in Chief does not like for us to have guns, of any kind. I don't care what your political preference is but sometimes it is good to listen to ther real people. JMHO

blinddog
oppy

Post by oppy »

My local gun store owner has been telling me for a couple months about what he perceives is a near 'run' on guns. J&G now has a banner that states shipping may be delayed due to unusually heavy demand. They also have a big statement at the bottom of their web page about living through these times etc etc etc.

My question is, does anyone else think some of this is being stoked by sellers, National organizations or the industry? I am in my 40's, so certainly old enough to recall the 'assault weapons ban' in the '90. But some of the..." 'they' are going got take our weapons" statements I hear and read seem near hysterical. Certainly high capacity magazines may be at risk again but those distinctions are never made.
The Trouble with trouble is that it always starts out as fun.
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by blinddog »

No, there are some that can read the writing on the wall. Still MHO. :o
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by himmel »

MHO, they'll raise taxes on guns and ammo to make it more difficult to buy, restrict imports with the same object in mind, then start with other restrictions that 0bama can call "common-sense"--number of guns one can purchase at once, expanded background checks, etc etc. Only much later, when the pool of owners is being reduced, will they start in with the registration and confiscation stuff...