Glad I found this site!

Info, pictures, advice...
oppy

Glad I found this site!

Post by oppy »

I have been looking for a while now for an additional 9x18 to go with my much liked CZ82 and just ordered a P64 today. Despite the trigger pull I have read so much about, it seems to be a great size and good quality pistol.

I look forward to gathering a great deal of information, and perhaps sharing some eventually. My only question for now: is a spring kit something recommended immediately, or does the DA trigger pull vary from unit to unit?
The Trouble with trouble is that it always starts out as fun.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Glad I found this site!

Post by normsutton »

oppy

WELCOME

to change the springs is your choice

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
manicmechanic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Glad I found this site!

Post by manicmechanic »

Welcome oppy! I have 2 1972 round hammers that have D/A & S/A triggers that are quite workable for me. The 1974 and 1975 triangle hammered ones are a different story. The 74, which is my non-winter carry, was almost impossible to pull in D/A when I first got it. I've since changed it to a 20# trigger spring and the 22# recoil. The D/A is still a good safety, but I can pull it without moving my grip around inorder to, which I had to do prior to the trigger spring change. The 75 remains unfired by me, I've dry fired it with snap-caps and the D/A is similar to the original 74's pull. In S/A both are fine, but when lighter springs are installed they impove also. When I first got my 74 I fired it unaltered to see what I could do with it, and after 200 rounds I lightened the trigger and increased the recoil. So there may be a little lower D/A in the earlier round hammer versions, but not 100% sure. Again welcome and let us know which one you get and as papabear says," We love picturers!".
Here's a link to the springs.
http://www.gunsprings.com/SemiAuto/PolishNF.html
Last edited by manicmechanic on November 9th, 2008, 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Glad I found this site!

Post by anjdrifter »

welcome I was a hold out for a long time and had left the springs alone. then I decided to give the spring change a try, and never looked back. While the change doesn't make this a "match" trigger it does ease it somewhat and found my first shot accuracy improved greatly. Basically in a carry weapon that is the most important shot..I have always found the S/a ,both before and after alteration to be more then acceptable. so just for my physical characterizations and abilities it has been worth the change. Bottom line is it is an easy change(follow Norms instructions and pictorial) and one that is reversible if you find you dont like it,and no expense to speak of and no gun smithing charges.
Last edited by anjdrifter on November 9th, 2008, 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Glad I found this site!

Post by papabear »

oppy,

Welcome aboard, you will find darn good advice here for your P-64. Most have made spring changes in their 64's and are quite happy with it, as for me I have not, I prefer the heavy DA trigger, having shot both of my P-64's over a 1.000 rounds each, the DA trigger is fine for me, but that is me, I like the heavy DA, for me its my safety, just as there is no safety on a revolver, I carry the P-64 with 6+1 with the safety off, but the heavy DA acts as my safety, the SA for me is light and very smooth, so I have not changed the springs.

Papa
POINT SHOOTER
petquality

Glad I found this site!

Post by petquality »

I recommend the spring change. It's easy to go back if you don't like it, and the springs are cheap.

I found with my 1972 P64 that the first shot accuracy was poor, mostly because I had to squeeze so hard that I was pulling way to one side by the time the shot went off. I put in a 16# PPK spring and - presto, much much better. It's still heavy enough to prevent accidental discharge but way more manageable.

Keep in mind that the spring replacement will change both single and double action weight, so both will become lighter.
oppy

Glad I found this site!

Post by oppy »

Thanks for all the input. Springs and grips (tbd source) are on my short list.

In case some don't know, this site is referenced in multiple locations across the web; High Road, Glocktalk, TFL, Gun and Game and others as a great source for all things P64. In fact, that is how I found P64.

That seems to speak to the quality of P64 website.
The Trouble with trouble is that it always starts out as fun.
dbsoundguy

Glad I found this site!

Post by dbsoundguy »

Welcome Oppy.. :)
This is a great and helpful forum.

That seems to speak to the quality of P64 website.
You re right about this forum being known on other forums..
I was told from from Taurus Armed..and it mostly came from Staff ;D