This is amazing;)

Info, pictures, advice...
karat007

This is amazing;)

Post by karat007 »

Hello everyone ;). I am a freshman here, so firstly I will make a little presentation of me;).I am a Polish firearms instructor and I work for Polish Police ina the Police Academy. What I see, when I am reading this forum, You are so enthusiastic about P-64!!! This is really amazing for me. P-64 is, I am searching for a right word;), rather less attractive for my students, than for You;). It is small, uncomfortable in using, it has only 12 cartridges. And I could write and write about defects of this gun in day-to-day usage. Some of us say, that P-64 is a very good gun, but after a boomerang;) It is a joke of course;). Please, tell me, why are You so addicted to P-64?
Last edited by karat007 on November 5th, 2008, 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
petquality

This is amazing;)

Post by petquality »

Hi Karat,

Welcome to the board. I'm new here too and just recently bought a P64. I'll tell you why I like it. It's very small and compact, so good for concealed carry. The trigger pull is very heavy but can be improved with a lighter spring. The cartridge it fires is more powerful than a .380, and the overall build quality is very good (mostly steel as opposed to many other small pistols that are plastic). I find it comfortable to shoot, though it's certainly not as comfortable as some other guns. But overall I feel it's a very good compromise between size, power, and reliability.

Also - they're very inexpensive. Mine was $165 which I consider an excellent value in a small carry pistol.

I'm sure other people on the board have their reasons for liking them but those are mine.
Last edited by petquality on November 5th, 2008, 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

This is amazing;)

Post by normsutton »

karat007

WELCOME

we all love the P-64

petquality

an your are WELCOME too

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
doyle

This is amazing;)

Post by doyle »

If you are shooting un-modified P-64's then I'm sure much of your dissatisfaction comes from the bad double-action trigger pull. People on this board have long ago figured out the way to make the trigger pull very nice.
fritzhund

This is amazing;)

Post by fritzhund »

Hello karat007

Hello petquality

This pistol is a favorite because of the size, caliber, and machining. It is not a Walther, nor a Makarov. There are a lot of modifications that can be made, and a lot of things that are just fine factory stock. In the States we tend to improve existing designs and tweak them to our individual tastes.

Some of us, in the USA, like a small, concelable 9mm that we can trust. This group has been a fan of the P-64 for quite a while.

What pistols are you using during your instruction?

Are you still using the P-64 in class?

Can you sell me a P-83? HAHA

Greetings, Fritzhund

P.S.
Anjdrifter and I would appreciate it if you would send us the remaining Crvena Zastava Mod. 70 magazines that remain in storage somewhere in Europe....We know there must be some.

:)
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"
Hunter S. Thompson: Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
torpeau

This is amazing;)

Post by torpeau »

It is small, uncomfortable in using, it has only 12 cartridges. And I could write and write about defects of this gun in day-to-day usage.
What defects are you referring to?

My trigger finger took a beating today firing my P-64s, but that's the price you pay for firing a small, fairly powerful pistol. My P-64s are accurate and very reliable. That heavy double action is like a safety feature -- in normal shooting I always use single action.
"The only time we see the middle of the road
is as we run from side to side." R.O. Clark
karat007

This is amazing;)

Post by karat007 »

What pistols are you using during your instruction?

Are you still using the P-64 in class?

Can you sell me a P-83? HAHA

Hello, and thanks for Yours answers:)

What I am saying is, that P-64 is not suitable for the military organisation, as the Police. Unfortunately, during my classes I must use this, instead of Glock (in Polish Police it is Glock 17, 19, 26) nor P-99 (a model of Walther with anti-stress system). It is hard to reload this gun, specially for the new students (I mean reload with the tactical rules, when You have a pistol in Your dominate hand, and You keep the back side of the slide in Your second hand. More less,you keep it near the chest. Then You push your dominate hand with the pistol away, but Your second hand is left near the chest. After that You must add Your second hand to the dominate hand and shoot. There is a problem with the safety trigger (left side of the slide), You can hurt Yourself, or You can on the safety trigger.

I think that I might be funny for You, but I am rather practical.
I am impressed about Your knowledge about P-64. But here, in Poland You can not do any changes in Your gun. In my Academy, we have quite old models of P-64, made in 1968, 1969 and so on.I am also a competitor, in shooting of course, and I would not shoot with this gun before competition on my classes. Only because I am affraid about a condition of my hand after the shooting.

Dear Fritzhund,
I can not sell You P-83, I am very sorry;). I think I might be spend the best years of my life in prison if I do that :D

Crvena Zastava Model. 70 is Yugoslav model, I will check my library I will try to find the magazines You are telling about. But I do no think, I have them.

Thanks again for Your anwers,

Greetings, Ola
Last edited by karat007 on November 6th, 2008, 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
mirother

This is amazing;)

Post by mirother »

Welcome Karat,
As you can see, your words have caused a lot of thinking. You are right that as a police holster weapon, the P-64 is not a great weapon; in fact, it is barely adequate when compared to the Glock 17 and other possible substitutes. However, as a civilian Concealed Carry weapon, it is great. First, we have the luxury of modifying the firearm. Also, I am sure that few of the people on the website will carry only one extra clip. Personally, I like at least 3 clips with me, including the one in the gun.
Sometimes a bad military weapon becomes a great civilian one. In U.S. history, the Krag in .30-40 caliber was a bust as a military rifle. It was soon replaced by a rifle that could go toe to toe with the Mauser system. However, the Krag had a second career as a deer rifle in civilian hands. In that category, it had few peers. I see the P-64 in the Krag tradition, a better civilian gun than a military.
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

This is amazing;)

Post by dfunk »

Welcome karat007 and petquality! We're very glad to have you here.
I think the reason the P64 took off is because it's accurate, reliable, small enough for anyone to conceal effectively, adequately powered, and priced right under $200 USD. Plus, modifications, and soon to be released concealment holsters ( ;) ;) ) make it a pistol anyone can enjoy. :)

mirother, I carry zero extra magazines - the likelihood of you reloading is slim to none and with the Euro catch, for me at least, is pretty much a deal breaker under stress. Regarding your ammunition count, my uncle used to say, "If you can't do it with 6, you can't do it." I guess I agree with that to an extent.
manicmechanic
Veteran member
Veteran member

This is amazing;)

Post by manicmechanic »

Yes,welcome karat007 and petquality!
karat007, the reason that I'm so addicted to the 64 is, it is the pierogi pistol, and with a little sour cream, it's the bomb!!
mirother

This is amazing;)

Post by mirother »

Dear Dickfunk,
I defer to your greater medal count, but as for me, I like to have extra ammo and I do practice reloading the pistol. I certainly will try to settle things with 7; I carry one in the tube plus a full mag. However, I feel it is better to die trying to reload than be empty and have no possibility. Even the humble Kel Tec P-11 can now shoot 13 before running dry with the new high cap mags. In a world like this, I carry extra. I certainly would not want to be a Polish cop and be issued the P-64 with 12 rounds.
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

This is amazing;)

Post by dfunk »

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with you carrying extra mags (or high cap mags when available ;) )- I'm just saying that for me, the catch on the bottom isn't something I can work with great finesse under stress, thus eliminating the point in extra mags. If you can reload that puppy fast, then I see no reason not to carry them.

I wouldn't want to be issued a P64 for duty, either. Under-powered in too many ways. Would(does) make a great BUG, though!
trent
Veteran member
Veteran member

This is amazing;)

Post by trent »

greetings Karat!

I am a police officer in the US and although I'd never want to be issued this weapon as a primary I do carry the p-64 as a backup weapon. It's hides really well (I keep mine in a holster attached to my kevlar vest) the ammo is pretty powerful compared to pistols of similar size and weight and it is very accurate (especially for the purposes of a "get off of me" gun)
retiredsailor

This is amazing;)

Post by retiredsailor »

karat007 wrote:Hello everyone ;). I am a freshman here, so firstly I will make a little presentation of me;).I am a Polish firearms instructor and I work for Polish Police ina the Police Academy. What I see, when I am reading this forum, You are so enthusiastic about P-64!!! This is really amazing for me. P-64 is, I am searching for a right word;), rather less attractive for my students, than for You;). It is small, uncomfortable in using, it has only 12 cartridges. And I could write and write about defects of this gun in day-to-day usage. Some of us say, that P-64 is a very good gun, but after a boomerang;) It is a joke of course;). Please, tell me, why are You so addicted to P-64?
Welcome to the Forum! I'm glad there is someone in "Polska" (I know some Serbo-Croatian) that can be a valuable resource for us American P-64 owners.

I love mine; it was made in 1971. Yes, as an American, I made some minor changes by changing out the springs, staying as close to the way it is designed; after all, it sat in a box for 30+ years. I consider this a repair, not a modification.

Yes, the double action is a bit heavy, but I consider it an added safety feature. The recoil is a bit much as well, but not to objectional to me for what I bought this wepaon for. Pocket carry for personal protection.

I think what we are all trying to say is, we in America do have the right, by our Constitution, and upheld by our Supreme Court, the individual right to carry arms. Yes, we that do have to go through bureaucratic "red-tape" for us to get that permit in order to exercise our right to be armed. I am lucky to have gone thru less paperwork in my state and county than others in other states who also hold a Concealed Carry permit. :-*

One last thought..........I sure as hell wouldn't want to have a P-64 as my primary duty sidearm. I also carry my Beretta M9, something I am used to having as duty sidearm, as I have recently retired from our Navy. But I do like the P-64; for it's size, it shoots a pretty powerful round and the accuracy is phenominal.

Again, welcome :)