Bind in slide?

Info, pictures, advice...
p64

Bind in slide?

Post by p64 »

If I rack the slide and "follow it" rather than letting it slam forward it seems to stick about 4/5 of the way.
Anyone else experience this or have suggestions?

Thanks,
George
hawkerjim

Bind in slide?

Post by hawkerjim »

P64.

Just read your note and tried it with my gun.

Does the same thing.

Noticed the exterior of the forcing cone is extremely rough. Damage? Factory?
Too much power in Sellier and Beloit?

Slide seems to be hanging up there.

Hawkerjim

Other than that ,gun is great!!!
space
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Bind in slide?

Post by space »

I had a burr in the "cup" area where the firing pin is. (shell fits into it and is locked in by the extractor, sorry for the crappy explanation).

When racking the slide, it wouldn't go all the way forward because the burr was keeping the shell from seating into the firing pin block. If I forced it, it would go but if I just pulled back and let go, 80% of the time it wouldn't go all the way forward.

Used a dremmel and got rid of it and all was well.
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Bind in slide?

Post by abwehr »

This is my opinion, but these pistols were made during the Cold War by the Polish Government under Communist rules. I don't think they took a lot of time to polish up the pistols and small burrs were left to be removed by firing????

The feed ramp on most of the P-64s can certainly be improved by some careful polishing. The rest of the pistol will sort of "work in" as it is used. I still feel the P-64 is as good or better than the Makarov (which is still a fine pistol).
kempin

Bind in slide?

Post by kempin »

Hawkerjim had an interesting thought: Will the continued use of over-powered ammo in the p-64 erode the rear of the chamber? I really don't know enough to make an intelligent guess. I know that the use of "hot" ammo in magnum revolvers can erode the forcing cone over time, and I know (wasn't hard to figure out!) that most factory 9x18 loads are more than what the p-64 was designed for.

Personally, I have gone to hand loads to avoid excessive wear and abuse on mine. (I only have one, so I have to take care of it!) I would guess that using "hot" ammo for anything but carry and occasional practice would take its toll on the pistol. Maybe I'm wrong.

Do any of you hve a p-64 that has fired a lot of hot ammo, and if so can you find signs of stress or erosion? I'm just curious.

The p-64 is certainly a good buy for an effective "carry" pistol, and for the price you can hardly blame someone for just "shooting it up" with cheap ammo. It does also have some unique value as a collector, though, and I would hate to see people inadvertently damage them, because once they are gone . . .

God bless and straight shooting,

-Kempin

p.s.-Maybe I should form a "P-64 preservation society." Anyone concerned that their pistol might be damaged by too hot ammo can send it to the care of the society. I promise to be humane, to exercise it regularly, and to only feed it the gentlest of loads!
hawkerjim

Bind in slide?

Post by hawkerjim »

Gentlemen:

Took subject pistol to gunsmith who noticed that ejector is digging in to the barrel at the forcing cone. Suggested solution is to de-burr the area and live with it.
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Bind in slide?

Post by himmel »

I tried it on mine, i can't find a problem--I apparently did have a burr or something that was rubbing the left side of the trigger, there is now a shiny spot on that side at the top of the trigger--
p64

Bind in slide?

Post by p64 »

Here is what I noticed yesterday.
This only occurs when the decocker is on, if the gun is in theready to shoot position the slide will go forward completely. I tried this about 20 times, 10 each way and slide works properly if safety is off (ready to fire)
Hopefully this will make some sort of sense.
p64

Bind in slide?

Post by p64 »

Last night I did a complete disassembly and soaking in cleaner, swabbed every nook and cranny, lubed.
This morning I went to the range and for the first time I was able to feed the P-64 anything, fmj, JHP, it ate it all without flaw, 100 rounds mixed ammo. The only problem was the safety dropping on, I noticed this usually occured with the JHP ammo.
All rounds impacted on 5" targets @ 25 feet. One more outing like this and I'd say I feel safe with this as a carry weapon as most shootings occur in this range or less. I would like to get 100 rounds without the safety dropping on though so may stay away from JHP on the next trip and see what happens.
As it is a 9x18 I might be better off with FMJ anyhow for superior penetration.
All in all, I'm pretty pleased with this outing even with one case of slide bite (my fault).