I didn't know that Hercules was Polish?!

Info, pictures, advice...
nero

Post by nero »

....Cause that DA trigger must of been designed with him in mind! :o

I recently bought a 1972 vintage P64. It's in excellent condition (just a few lite scratches on the grips), with a nicely aged brownish-plum slide. As soon as I dry-fired it for the first time, I found out that folks weren't exaggerating about the P64's heavy DA trigger. Good grief! That's one heavy trigger! After about 10 times dry-firing it my finger was sore, after a couple of dozen times my index finger was so sore and fatigued that I literally was struggling to dry-firing it in DA!

Anyway, this morning I took my P64 to the range for the first time, and put 150 rounds of S&B 95gr FMJ through it. First, this gun does have a very snappy recoil. After a few mags, the web of my hand was sore, and the skin on top of my thumb joint was rubbed raw. However, the pistol functioned flawlessly, was very, very accurate, and despite the snappy recoil, I could shoot about 4-5" groups at 7 & 10 yards shooting very rapidly. Overall, I'm very happy and impressed with my P64!

I did however just order a 20lbs recoil spring and a 18lbs hammer spring from Wolff springs, and I'll replace the factory springs with these as soon as they arrive.

I think I've got a new CCW. ;D

nero
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by anjdrifter »

Just a little suggestion buy snap caps the firing pin will thank you
electross

Post by electross »

nero, springs will make a big difference in the double action and single action. Many don't change a thing. The 18# was a little to light and I had some light hammer strikes with some ammo. I moved up to a 19# in one and a 20# in the other. It was fun playing around with it until I got it the way I liked it. I also polished some surfaces and I really like the difference. I have read about someone leaving the hammer cocked back and of course unloaded to break in the hammer spring. Don't know if this works but I have always wanted to try it or read about someone else's experience doing this. As you probably already know, wolff springs has all that you need. Nothing like a little finger exercise eh. ;D
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Nero, let me suggest that you spend some time practicing with the single action trigger after you change the springs, on more than one occasion I have had rounds go off before I was ready to fire, it made me stop and rethink the spring change. I've become a believer in the factory hammer strut spring for carry, but I do agree a heavier recoil spring and firing pin spring change is a must for comfort of use. My concern is that when under stress I don't want the hammer to drop until I have the bad guy in my sites, dead and wounded by standers don't set well with the local constabulary no matter how Innocent the mistake.
G.R.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

+1 with gunnyrabbit, I haven't found a need to change the springs, because I carry 6+1 with the safety off, the somewhat heavy DA for me acts as a safety, I treat it the same as a revolver. After over a 1,000 rds through both of my P-64's the DA is somewhat lighter & smoother, for me I like the way it was originally designed and intended for Police and Military use, just my $0.02 worth.

Papa
POINT SHOOTER
torpeau

Post by torpeau »

papabear wrote:+1 with gunnyrabbit, I haven't found a need to change the springs, because I carry 6+1 with the safety off, the somewhat heavy DA for me acts as a safety, I treat it the same as a revolver.
I agree 100%. I kind of like the idea of the heavy DA. I have only fired mine SA.
"The only time we see the middle of the road
is as we run from side to side." R.O. Clark
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by himmel »

Me too--that's why the CZAK is my preferred nighstand gun.