Q about ID'ing the P-64

Info, pictures, advice...
daysleeper

Q about ID'ing the P-64

Post by daysleeper »

I know what the p64 looks like but I don't know much about other pistols, so how do I know when I'm looking at one that it isn't a similar weapon? I ask because I'm always checking the pistols on TV and the movies to see if anyone's carrying the 64. I've never seen anyone do it so far, but it has to be starring in something somewhere, or soon to be starring, or soon to pop up on the news.

In the fleeting glimpses of guns on film I always check for the short barrel protrusion beyond the trigger guard, then the guard itself to see if its round, then I'll look for the striations on the slide grip to line up with the gun grip, then I check for the raised rear sight and the protruding mag. I generally can't detect markings. Without knowing the calibre, would these characteristics be enough? What other pistols look similar at a quick glance?
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Q about ID'ing the P-64

Post by abwehr »

This is just an opinion, but the P-64 does resemble the Makarov at quick glance. But the one pistol that most resembles it to me is the Walther PP.
tunnelrat

Q about ID'ing the P-64

Post by tunnelrat »

The one pistol that most resembles it to me is the Walther PP.
Yup, watch those old James Bond movies. His Walther PPK is about the closest thing to a P-64 that you're likely to see.

These little guns were hidden behind the Iron Curtain until the early 1990's, and weren't imported into the States until the turn of the new century. It is not likely that any Hollywood producer, director, or actor has heard of them yet.
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Q about ID'ing the P-64

Post by himmel »

Saw one of those Sho Kosugi movies once, Jean-Claude van Damme played a Russian agent--took a couple of shots with a smallish pistol, I wonder now if they had enough sense of realism to use a Mak...