Sort of Off Topic

Info, pictures, advice...
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Sort of Off Topic

Post by abwehr »

Hey guys, I found this website that has some good information about "true" ballistics. Most of this is for rifle rounds, but a few pistols are included. I thought you might be interested. The website is: http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/theboxotruth.htm
space
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Sort of Off Topic

Post by space »

That's a great site. I love the "box of truth" when using the 45/70 :)

"Don't get in any gun fights with buffalo hunters. There ain't no such thing as cover."
oldtanker

Sort of Off Topic

Post by oldtanker »

That is kinda what that elk must have felt like when my 45/70 hit her last dec. Just looked up picked up her front let to take a step and fell over dead. I have used my 6.5X55 Sweed, a 308 180gr. Bronze tip in a 300 win mag and now a 45/70. Hope to have the wife use a M-44 russian I put a light stock on and use a 7.62 Nagant in 180 gr. and I will use one of the 45/70s again this year. The little 6.5 did a great job also and leaves all that great meat.
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Sort of Off Topic

Post by abwehr »

Speaking of the .45-70, this is the caliber I used to hunt deer with! The rifle was a single shot Trapdoor Springfield. What a great cartridge for up to 100 yd shots. Any animal will drop immediately when hit. Since the Trapdoor was original, I stopped taking it hunting and bought a Marling .444. It was great. The funny thing is I like bolt action rifles, but hunted with a singe shot or a lever action. WHere I hunted, a 100 yd shot was loooong range.

I thought you guys might enjoy that website. While being off the P-64, here is a photo of my latest build that I finished yesterday:

Last edited by abwehr on May 13th, 2006, 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
space
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Sort of Off Topic

Post by space »

How many deer tags do you get :)

I have a Marlin 1895GS in 45/70. It's probably my favorite but it's a little expensive to use for plinking. (I'm not into reloading yet but I have all my brass)

P64 is a lot cheaper to plink with and nearly as much fun but you can't blow up stuff like you can with the 45/70
Last edited by space on May 13th, 2006, 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oldtanker

Sort of Off Topic

Post by oldtanker »

Only one DEER tag per hunter. Plus if you are lucky and draw out then you might get a ELK tag. Now even a cow elk is 450 lbs up to 650 lbs. Several years ago my partner got a 1100 lb. Bull over 800 lbs of meat. I put in for both cow and bull for myself and my wife. I will usually draw the cow tag as the Bull tags are saught after by about ten times as many hunters for trophy's and non-residents. I am still eating good elk from last dec's hunt. So if both of us tag out and are able to each get one elk that can be a lot of meat.
tunnelrat

Sort of Off Topic

Post by tunnelrat »

I thought you guys might enjoy that website. While being off the P-64, here is a photo of my latest build that I finished yesterday:

What is that? A cloth belt .30-06, Browning, 1917a1, water-cooled,...?

At first I thought it was a Vickers or a Maxim, then I saw the pistol grip.

I actually worked with some Marines one time on the machine gun range at Ft. Ord, CA. I taught the M-60, but they came out with their own 1919a2, cloth belt guns...! Yeee Haw!!
kempin

Sort of Off Topic

Post by kempin »

Hey Abwehr,

Cool site! I spent a couple of hours taking it in. The only thing more fun would have been to be there at the range and see the water sprays. Interesting too, though. I think the biggest surprise for me as far as "conventional" wisdom was the penetration of the .357 mag.

Very cool project as well. I, myself, am not knowledgeable about machine guns and would appreciate anything you could tell me.

Hey tunnelrat,

Been meaning to ask you, but where are you in Toledo? I spent ten years in Monroe, just up the road, and only moved away this year.

Plus, I give you points for using greek on the bottom of your posts.

God bless and straight shooting,

-kempin
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Sort of Off Topic

Post by abwehr »

tunnelrat,

Sorry for long in the reply, but I was in Washington State last week and had limited time for the internet, so here is some info on the Browning

It started life as a WWII Saginaw built 1919A4 Air Cooled gun. The Water Jacket is new made and fits perfectly to the 1919A4. It is close to the 1919A1 except the Rear Sight is different on the two. The 1917A1 has the sites mounted on the Top Cover. I COULD make that happen, but the sights are very rare and cost a small fortune. I will leave it as a Franken1917A1, LOL. I can run cloth belts or links in this one and the caliber is .308.

I was hoping to get to the range for a trial run last Saturday, but I was too pooped after the all day trip home. Since this coming weekend is a holiday, I will get to the range to test fire for operation. Then very soon, I will add water to the gun and have some real fun! The 1917/1919 family actually runs a little faster than the Maxim or Vickers but not much. This one is SA of course, but I do have a crank fire unit which allows me to legally fire about 450 rds./min.

I also added a cone type Flash Hider this weekend and that make it look even better. I will post some photo next weekend at the trial run.