Going to buy a P-64 and have questions...

Info, pictures, advice...
rick9plus

Post by rick9plus »

Thanks for the answers about Wolf ammo, Norm. I am new to shooting and can use all the information I can get. So far, I have not had any issues with the Wolf Classic, but I shoot far less than a lot of you guys.
torpeau

Post by torpeau »

scottthegerman wrote:rick9plus

I recently purchased 1,000 rounds of Wolf 9X18 Wolf also, so don't feel bad. Had I known what Norm said, I would not be using it. I guess I have been lucky. I have used Wolf 9X18 for years in my Makarov's with no problems.
Maybe Norm was talking about the 100 gr or 109 gr Wolf. I've had no problems with their 95 gr 9x18 ammo. I shot a 100 rounds of their .45 acp today -- a bit smoky and it smells, but it worked fine.
"The only time we see the middle of the road
is as we run from side to side." R.O. Clark
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

torpeau

I mean all steel cased ammo from wolf , other brands of steel cased ammo are all right, wolf gold is alright too ,its loaded by Prvi Partizan .

but its your guns shoot what

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
tim

Post by tim »

What about brown bear or silver bear ammo?
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

tim wrote:What about brown bear or silver bear ammo?
tim

good ammo
and WELCOME

NORM
Last edited by normsutton on September 25th, 2008, 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
6x6pinz

Post by 6x6pinz »

I got tagged at the range the other day for using silver bear. I think the guy was more turned off by the nice tight groups from the P64 than anything. I have shot almost two cases of silver bear at the range with no issues over the past few months. The range master came up and asked to see one of my rounds then went away with it. When he came back he told me I could no longer use it there as it was steel core.
I am going to check on the S&B rounds to see if they are steel core or not. Need to find some ammo that I can shoot at the range which is not steel core.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

6x6pinz

it's not steel core its steel jacked copper plated as most Russian ammo is you might pull the bullet on one and cut it in half and show it to the range master.

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
primarchbentley

Post by primarchbentley »

Pretty sure there's no steel in S&B (my own 'round of choice' for the P-64 when I want to put accurate rounds to paper).

Sounds familiar. My range gives a spot check with a magnet when I bring in a box of ammo they're not familiar with, and 'guess-timate' if it's a steel core or jacket due to how strong the reaction is. Having no ready access to tools up to the task of cutting bullets in half, I've just tailored my ammo for that range accordingly.
nero

Post by nero »

Thanks for all of the helpful and informative replies.

I apologize for taking so long to respond, but I've been so busy at orienting/learning a new job (I'm a RN on a acute psychiatric unit at a VA hospital) that I haven't had a chance to check this forum/thread again until now.

Again, thanks and I'll stay away from the Wolf ammo.

nero (Jerry)
p64owner

Post by p64owner »

No one said anything about Self Defense loads: so here is my 2 cents worth. I am a big fan of the Hornady 9X18 MAK 95gr JHP/xtp. They are accurate and feed well in both my P-64 and PA-63. I use Norinco for Range rounds (till the supply dries up), I have been paying 8 dollars a box and I bought (and used)about 750 rounds with no problems. I agree with everyone else NO STEEL CASE WOLF in these guns. I use Steel Case Wolf in my SKS and also in my 9mm carbine but not in these blow back type guns.
Last edited by p64owner on September 28th, 2008, 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by blinddog »

It is always good to see new members ..so welcome aboard and happy shooting. I don't think you can go wrong with a P-64, they are super guns and more and more people are finding about them.
redfestiva

Post by redfestiva »

I've had nothing but great experiences with Silver Bear 9x18 rounds. For carry ammo I use Silver Bear hollow points. I find they feed as well as the SB ball ammo. I have not used the Brown Bear but I'd like to hear opinions about it.
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by blinddog »

I with p64owner, I really like Hornady ammo. It seems to feed really well in my pistoles.
hairypolack

Post by hairypolack »

torpeau wrote:
scottthegerman wrote:rick9plus

I recently purchased 1,000 rounds of Wolf 9X18 Wolf also, so don't feel bad. Had I known what Norm said, I would not be using it. I guess I have been lucky. I have used Wolf 9X18 for years in my Makarov's with no problems.
Maybe Norm was talking about the 100 gr or 109 gr Wolf. I've had no problems with their 95 gr 9x18 ammo. I shot a 100 rounds of their .45 acp today -- a bit smoky and it smells, but it worked fine.
I have read on many occasions to stick with the 95gr rounds for the PA-63 and the P-64. I have used the Wolf Military Classic 95gr rounds before and have not had any problems with them at all.