P-64 to the gunsmith....bummer

Info, pictures, advice...
volfandan

Post by volfandan »

I bought a P-64 for a great deal off of Auctionarms.com back some time ago. It was missing the trigger guard, but no big deal....I live 15 minutes from TN Guns. So Ryan hooked me up with a trigger guard, and today I finally took it to the range.

I loaded up a mag with 6 rounds of 94 gr. FMJ Brown Bear....and it wouldn't feed the first round. Just kinda stuck...bound up against the ramp. I hadn't cleaned this gun, like I generally do with mil-surps, but it had been cleaned and fired here in the US, so it wasn't cosmo packed or anything.

Anyway, the indoor range where I shoot sometimes is the same place my gunsmith works. He's the guy that TN Guns paid to go up to the US Customs house in Louisville, KY to "serrate" the triggers on many of the P-64's.....as to import specifications. So, needless to say, I left it for Shannon to check out. Hopefully he'll call me tomorrow and just tell me that he had to file or polish the feed ramp.

Any thoughts on what the issue might be?
manicmechanic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by manicmechanic »

If polishing the ramp doesn't get it, I'd have to say maybe a stronger recoil spring and a good thorough cleaning just to be sure. Whadda ya say Norm? Is it the original spring Dan?
volfandan

Post by volfandan »

Don't know if it has the original springs or not, Manicmechanic. Like I said, this one was a "pre-owned" P-64, and had obviously been shot since it got into the US. So I don't know whether or not it had been tinkered with.

My gunsmith called early this morning, and said that he didn't see a problem. He asked what kind of ammo I tried, and I told him that it was 94 gr. Brown Bear FMJ. Then he said, "So did you try putting 7 rounds in the mag.....because the only hold 6."

Nope, checked and double checked.....I only had 6 in the mag. He said that it loaded (chambered) fine for him, but that he just manually let the slide go froward to chamber the round.....instead of just letting it go. However, he said that you obviously should just be able to "rack it back and let it go" to chamber.

Weird. So, he said that he'd give it a good cleaning and lube (ultrasonic clean I bet! Oh yeah!) and polish the ramp. I bet he calls tomorrow.

I'll keep it updated.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

guy's

I completely clean all my guns before ever firing them even if they are used ,brand spanking new, even if someone says they cleaned it and on all autos I routinely high shine the feed ramps , that will save on brake in time & ammo, I think I would change the recoil spring for the reason that the gun you got didn't have the trigger housing on it I would assume it broke and had a weak spring in it to begin with

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dfunk »

NORMSUTTON wrote: I completely clean all my guns before ever firing them even if they are used ,brand spanking new,
+100