Can't resist bragging . . .

Info, pictures, advice...
kempin

Post by kempin »

Went to the range yesterday and took some of my "custom" target ammo--95gr lead bullet over 3.3gr Hodgdon Universal powder. Shot a 1" group, standing, at about 21 feet. That was with trimmed luger brass, random headstamp, and I wasn't even really trying for the best group. (As I said, I was standing.)

Don't know about anyone else, but I consider that pretty good for a "pocket pistol," especially one I got for around $150. Imagine what it could do if someone really took it seriously!

There really is something to the idea of matching the ammo to the firearm. This seems to be a pretty good p-64 load, but the quest for perfection always continues . . .

God bless and straight shooting,

-Kempin
p64

Post by p64 »

Sweet Shooting!
Remind me to stay on your good side ;D
butch50

Post by butch50 »

Steady hands and good eyes and natural talent and cool nerves are also required, don't sell youself short! Great Shooting!
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by abwehr »

kempin,

Great job! So far, and I may be wrong, but the P-64 appears to be one of the most accurate small pistols I have seen. I wish one of the gun writers would do an article on this pistol and show how accurate it can be. This might quite down the folks that "throw stones" at this fine pistol! Yes, the trigger pull is heavy in DA, but we know why, and what can be done to remedy this!
kempin

Post by kempin »

Thanks guys.

Heck, I bought the pistol on a lark, because I was Polish and because of the price. I thought it would be one of those novelty guns that I could pull out of the safe every now and then and say, ". . .but have you ever seen one of these?" Maybe I'd even shoot it occasionally, but not very often. (Especially after I fired some of those over powered loads the first time out.) I never thought I'd be serious about working up a target load or using it for carry. It has really grown on me as a quality pistol--once you get to know its particular quirks.

Dog gone, now I may have to save my pennies and buy another one as a parts back up and to satisfy my wife. (She claims this one.) I'd better hurry, though. If I don't get one soon, I might not be able to afford one!

God bless and straight shooting,

-Kempin
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by himmel »

"Straight shooting" indeed!!!
tunnelrat

Post by tunnelrat »

Went to the range yesterday and took some of my "custom" target ammo--95gr lead bullet over 3.3gr Hodgdon Universal powder. Shot a 1" group, standing, at about 21 feet.
[/quote]Here is a challenge from our brethren in Poland. They sent us a copy of their target and gave some very strict rules for some very good shooting.

I am not able to compete in their league, but your shooting may give you something of an edge.

Hi
Lets make some competition.
Here is Drill #1 in polish army for firing with P-64 pistol. When You go to range next time try to shoot this drill. Write here Your score. My hi score with P-64 was 49 but only once, most time was 40-45points.
DRILL #1 :
Target: target number 23p dimensions are 0,75m x 0,75m(0,75m is 29,52 inch)( on the picture - target is four times smaller than original so You must larger it four times before printing).
Range: 25meters
Position: standing one hand caring.
Ammo: 5rounds
Time: no time limit.
Grades:
(5)Very good – 40 points and more.
(4)Good – 35 to 39 points.
(3)Enough – 30 to 34 points.
(2)Not enough – 0 to 29 points.

Drill #1 was basic and most frequently shooting in polish army and police.

Good luck

bartos

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

1st ;D 8-) place: {novgarod} score: 45 (10,9,9,9,8)
1st ;D 8-) place: {mikethewreck} score: 45
2nd :D place: ???
3rd :) place: ???

4th place: ???
5th place: ???
kempin

Post by kempin »

In the interest of honesty . . .

. . . I took the target out of my range bag and actually measured. The group was more like 1 1/4". (They were all touching the center 1" circle. I'm not really sure how to measure an "official" group size.)

Don't get me wrong--I'm still as pleased as can be! Just don't want to embellish the facts.

Tunnelrat, I think I'll try to see if I can get that target made. I'm sure I won't be in their league, but longer range shooting is something I really enjoy. 25 meters! Wow!

-Kempin
b52stan

Post by b52stan »

FWIW, a generally accepted way to determine group size is to measure from center to center of the two shots that are farthest apart.
I shoot sub 1/4 inch benchrest groups at times with rifles, but don't do well enough with pistols to worry about it. It's a tremor problem. Consider yourself blessed with that great pistol shooting ability!
novgarod

Post by novgarod »

Hey, kempin, glad to see some competitive interest back in the Polish drill and it looks like you should get a 50 at 25 meters (27 yards). The CZAK is a truly accurate small, but mighty pistol as you have shown.

Here's an easy target to make that accurately depicts Bartos' target dimensions: Start with a 9" paper plate and, with a compass, draw a circle with a radius of 2 inches - that is your 10 ring; next draw a circle with a 4 inch radius (nearing plate edge) - that is your 9 ring. Based upon your 1 to 1-1/4 inch grouping at 7 yds, you should make that 10 ring real nervous!

My CZAKs shoot about 6 inches high at 25 meters, so I used a 2 inch red dot as a floater until I grouped in and about the Polish 10 ring. At a later time I tried shooting with two hands, but found out I actually did better with the extended single arm stance as Bartos suggested. I scored with NRA rules - a round will score as a 10 if the majority of the hole breaks inside the line.

Good luck and have fun! :D
Last edited by novgarod on May 8th, 2006, 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

YOU can download targets at http://www.makarov.com/funstuff.html thier not polish but printable and free

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage