Safely selling a gun...

Info, pictures, advice...
arex

Safely selling a gun...

Post by arex »

I'm planning on selling my P64. The slide tears up my hand, and it kicks too hard for my wife to use.

Trouble is, I've never sold a gun before, only bought them. I'm assuming there's a standard, legal, and safe way for a gun to change hands, but I don't know what it is. Since the P64 is an "odd" gun, I'm not even going to try to sell it locally.

How do I do it?
ourbigbluehouse

Safely selling a gun...

Post by ourbigbluehouse »

You might try searching for a local gun show or many shops will buy or take in trade. It will give you a chance to look for something more to your liking.
pshootr

Safely selling a gun...

Post by pshootr »

Firearm transfers between unlicensed persons must be processed by a licensed firearms dealer (subjecting the prospective purchaser to a background check) if the transfer occurs at a gun show. See the Colorado Gun Shows section. Otherwise, private firearms transfers (i.e., transfers by non-firearms dealers) are not subject to a background check requirement in Colorado, although federal and state purchaser prohibitions still apply. See the Colorado Background Checks section.

Pursuant to Colorado Revised Statutes § 18-12-108.7, a person is criminally liable for a felony who:

Intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly provides a handgun to any person under age 18;

Knows of a juvenile's unlawful possession of a handgun and fails to make reasonable efforts to prevent the juvenile's conduct;

Is aware of a substantial risk that a juvenile will use a handgun to commit a felony and permits the juvenile to possess a handgun; or

Is aware of a substantial risk that a juvenile will use a handgun to commit a felony and fails to make reasonable efforts to prevent the commission of the offense.

In addition, a person who sells, rents, or transfers a long gun to a juvenile without the consent of his or her parent or guardian commits a misdemeanor. Section 18-12-108.7(3). The same applies to a person who allows unsupervised possession of a long gun to a juvenile without the consent of his or her parent or guardian. Id.
http://www.firearmslawcenter.org/states ... ivateSales
dwd

Safely selling a gun...

Post by dwd »

I have never sold a gun online before either but I have bought several. I would suggest running an ad here on the "Buy, Sell, or Trade" forum and maybe Slim Tim's Makarov Trader on gunboards forum. When you attract a prospective buyer have him send the funds and a copy of an ffl that you are to ship the gun to. when you receive the ffl, go to the ATF website and verify that it is indeed a valid ffl. ship the gun via UPS or Fedex and the rest is up to the firearms dealer you ship it to. oh by the way, you might keep track of who you sell it to or at least who you shipped it to in case someone asks in the future. If anyone sees anything wrong with this please post so I'll know.
[url=http://drugstore-onlinecatalog.com/]drugstore-onlinecatalog.com[/url]
donw

Safely selling a gun...

Post by donw »

hi dwd,

I had these same concerns myself,So I called the local BATF office. The agent I spoke with was an ok guy,was talking about all kind of stuff relating to firearms.

Anyway,He told me what you just stated.You can put a rifle,or pistol on gunbroker,AuctionArms etc.,as long as it ships to an FFL.The agent suggested what you said also;to look up the FFL on their website to verify current status.Also he said towritedown who I was(who's selling it)Heck,"I already know the amswer to that one",I told the agent,"I am"
Last edited by donw on September 13th, 2008, 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Safely selling a gun...

Post by dfunk »

There is usually a fee to be paid for shipping that will seem unreasonably high, as I'm pretty sure handguns have to be overnighted. I think UPS stopped doing them, so FedEx might be yor only choice. Call the carrier before you list the item to get an accurate rate as to what shipping will be.