Decocking lever problem

Info, pictures, advice...
jrc

Decocking lever problem

Post by jrc »

I purchased a P64 from MCS two weeks ago and have been able to take it to the range twice. The weapon was field stripped, cleaned and lubed before firing. To practice double action firing, I would use the decocker to drop the hammer and then push it back up (safety off).
On my first trip to the range, the safety would not come off even though the lever was pushed up (red dot showing) on two occasions. I fired 50 rounds went home soaked my finger and ordered a Wolf 20# hammer spring.
I experienced the same problem with the new hammer spring about 15% of the time. The trigger pull was greatly improved with DA and SA being fine for me. I fired 100 rounds with probably 60 of them being fired DA.
Any guesses why the safety would remain on even though the red dot was exposed (decock lever pushed up).
To reset the decocking lever to its proper way of functioning, I would remove the magazine, clear the chambered round and reinsert the magazine and rack the slide. It would function fine for six or seven rounds and then the problem would return.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
I don't think changing the hammer spring has anything to do with it.

Thanks
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Decocking lever problem

Post by normsutton »

jrc

you may have a crack safety , if you can move the safety leaver up and down and the safety doesn't change

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
jrc

Decocking lever problem

Post by jrc »

Norm,

It only acts up about once every six or seven times using the decock lever to drop the hammer. If it was a cracked safety lever would it work occasionally or not at all?

Joel
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Decocking lever problem

Post by normsutton »

Joel

the only way I know to tell for sure is to take the safety out and if comes apart in two pieces you will need to get a new safety or send the gun back

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
stibnite

Decocking lever problem

Post by stibnite »

It sounds like the same old "Safety Dropping" problem, if you're shooting and all of a sudden the safety engages. Does the lever physically move a little? (doesn't have to be much).
jrc

Decocking lever problem

Post by jrc »

The safety fails to disengage if I use it to drop (de-cock) the hammer. With the hammer cocked, I engage the safety to lower it. When the safety is taken off, red dot exposed, it still acts like the safety is engaged. This happened about every sixth time I used the safety to drop the hammer.
I will try to remove the safety and see if it comes out in two pieces.

Thanks,

Joel
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

Decocking lever problem

Post by blinddog »

I had the same problem once..shoot a while and the safety would drop. It was the safety detent was rounded too much and falling out of the slot when it was fired several times. Not even a clip full. Might want to check that out. Welcom jrc.
jrc

Decocking lever problem

Post by jrc »

I tool the safety out yesterday and everything looked good. I cleaned it again and got it back together. If the weather holds, Tropical Storm Fay is looming, I will take it to the range and try another 50 - 75 rounds through it and see what happens.

Joel
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Decocking lever problem

Post by normsutton »

Joel

glade to hear the safety isn't broken sure sounded like it was, maybe this will help

http://p64.proboards67.com/index.cgi?bo ... hread=1582

I think is another thread on this subject just can't find it right now maybe stibnite know where it is

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
stibnite

Decocking lever problem

Post by stibnite »

Yep, here's one of the original threads on the topic:

http://p64.proboards67.com/index.cgi?bo ... hread=1046

When you get to the range, I would also try firing without worrying about dropping the hammer with the lever, i.e. take that out of the equation and see if you still have a problem.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Decocking lever problem

Post by normsutton »

stibnite

thanks
there are 3 more pages to that thread Joel

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
jrc

Decocking lever problem

Post by jrc »

Norm,

I found that thread while researching my problem. This site and the pictures posted on it have been invaluable to me in helping with questions about my P64.

Joel
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Decocking lever problem

Post by normsutton »

Joel

s your problem salved

thanks to stibnite for most of the pix

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976