shake, shake, shake

Info, pictures, advice...
mikeh1

shake, shake, shake

Post by mikeh1 »

Just had a medium sized earthquake here in So CA, a 5.8. Happened at 11:42 AM local time near Chino, about 60 miles east of L.A. So far no major damage. Hope any members in the "Inland Empire" here in CA are OK.

It was a slow rolling, kinda like being on a large swing, not real jerky
Last edited by mikeh1 on July 29th, 2008, 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
michaelap

shake, shake, shake

Post by michaelap »

It's always fun to hear folks around here freak out about "OHIO earthquakes"
trent
Veteran member
Veteran member

shake, shake, shake

Post by trent »

it's been all over the news here in Georgia, hope all you cali's are ok
mikeh1

shake, shake, shake

Post by mikeh1 »

a few older buildings lost their masonry fronts and there was a water main break near downtown L.A., but nothing much so far. This one was about 1% of the energy output of the 1994 Northridge quake. We are fortunate to have such strict building codes here, some other parts of the world would have major damage and many deaths from a measly (by CA standards!) 5.4 quake. Yet another bullet dodged.
donnerwetter58

shake, shake, shake

Post by donnerwetter58 »

I'm glad you're all OK out there.
I have very vivid memories of the '94 Northridge quake. The aftershocks went for weeks. That is something I'd rather not experience again.
So for now, I'm just waiting (well prepared of course) for that big Ohio shaker.
mikeh1

shake, shake, shake

Post by mikeh1 »

actually, the largest quakes in the lower 48 states were the New Madrid quakes of 1811 and 1812 in the Mississippi valley between St. Louis and Memphis, some parts of the Miss. River flowed upstream. That's pretty close to your neck of the woods, DW58

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/regional/sta ... 1-1812.php
beasleydano
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

shake, shake, shake

Post by beasleydano »

Just my luck! I grew up in LA County & San Fernando Valley areas on top of the San Andreas fault and am now in Horn Lake, MS just south of Memphis, TN on top of the New Madrid fault. We have the possibility of eartquakes and floods but at least I can sit in the front yard without cinders falling on me from fires in the mountains 200 miles away!
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

shake, shake, shake

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Haven't heard of any deaths and thank God for that. Hope that there was no serious damage to homes or business but I guess that is too much to ask for given the size of the quake. Happy to hear you and your families are all OK.
G.R.
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

shake, shake, shake

Post by blinddog »

You need to move to Arizona because the next one might be the big one and make that part of california the bay of arizona.(nice beach) Please don't take offence cause that just hit me and I had to pass it on.
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

shake, shake, shake

Post by blinddog »

I too hate to hear of any losses to any one. It really hurts to have an injured loved one or have to rebuild a business. Like I said I truly hope no one took offence to the comment I just made.