p-64 target load

Info, pictures, advice...
kempin

p-64 target load

Post by kempin »

Hi gang,

Just thought I would post my latest in the quest for the "perfect" p-64 load.

My wife and I were out yesterday and shot up about 100 rounds of 95gr lead bullets over 3.3gr Universal.

I was very pleased with the results. The pistol shot very comfortably, ejecting the brass at a consistent, reasonable distance. Very accurate, too. I think I may have a winner.

I tried the same powder load with the 95gr. XTP also. It was a bit snappier than the lead bullets, but still very comfortable. I may continue to experiment, but I was very pleased.

I know that you may want to carry hotter loads for personal protection, but there is no point shooting over-powered loads for practice. It beats up the pistol and abuses the hand. (Hands heal, of course, but not com bloc pistols.) Plus it gives the false impression that it is not a comfortable gun to shoot.

Handloaders out there give this a try. I would be curious to hear your take. I know I could beef it up some more and still be comfortable, but I thought this was a fun load. Personally, I think the p-64 is even more versatile than given credit for. Not only is it a good carry pistol and capable of shooting a pretty hot round, but it is also a hoot as a target pistol, provided you use an appropriate load. Especially now that it is getting broken in, I am really growing to love it as a shooter. (Whd've thought?)

God bless and straight shooting,

-Kempin
p64

p-64 target load

Post by p64 »

Yeah, not a bad little gun :)
It is my daily carry for "safe locations".
That speaks pretty well for it's accuracy and reliability.
The sights aren't great but I've been practicing COM Point Shooting, it'll get me out of most bad situations.

Let me put it this way: I'm recommending one to my son for CCW.

BTW- I like the Fiocchi for target loads.
Last edited by p64 on April 18th, 2006, 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.