OFF TOPIC QUESTION Llama 9mm?

Info, pictures, advice...
butch50

Post by butch50 »

I have an opptortunity to purchase a llama 9mm for $175 - and I know nothing about these pistols. It is in Fair to Good Condition - It seems to be built very much like a US Army 45 - It even has the grip safety.

Does anyone know these pistols? Is that an average, or good or great price?

Are these good pistols?

Thanks for any input.

Butch
Last edited by butch50 on April 15th, 2006, 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

Hey butch, I had a Llama 9mm years ago, looked very similar to the 1911 w/grip safety, w/5"bbl decent pistol, I had some problems with it but once I got the feed ramp polished and found the right magazines it was pretty much flawless, only reason I got rid of it (1990) was back then, IMHO, the only good ammo for the 9mm was the 124gr black Teflon round and only the law and the military could legally get it, but the Llama was a good shooting pistol, and now there are some really good defensive ammo in 9mm. Price sound pretty good too.
POINT SHOOTER
butch50

Post by butch50 »

Thanks! I am thinking that I will get it - $175 is low enough to gamble on it being a decent shooter.

There is a dearth of information on the llama on the internet.
amd6547

Post by amd6547 »

You may find some Llama info on 9mmlargo.com. There is a forum there for the llamas. It is kind of a strange site, though--you have to contact a moderator to register (if you want to post), and the posts are not organized by date. Some good info, though.
"I was so much older than, I'm younger then that now..."
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by abwehr »

I had a Llama .45 many years ago because I could not afford a new Colt. The Llama felt like the Colt, shot like the Colt, stripped like the Colt and I liked it. It was always reliable and if my memory serves me correct, I don't think I ever got a jam.

There were a LOT of Spanish firearms that were junkie, but the Llama and Star pistols were well made! I currently have two Star BMs in 9mmP that I bought a couple of years ago. They were former Spanish Police pistols that SOG was selling. They are well made, accurate, and were priced very good.

I think you will like the Llama if you get it!
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by himmel »

I'll chime in--My understanding is that the Llamas are good pistols, but the revolvers aren't that great--at least the Comanche, Gun Test gave it a "don't buy"--But then, they did that to the CZAK too, didn't they?? ;) ! I think just about anything you can get for under $200 that is reliable and functional is a good buy
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by himmel »

PS--Ask me in about two or three weeks, i may know where you can get some replacement grips for it! LOL!
butch50

Post by butch50 »

OK, I am convinced. I am going tomorrow and if it is still there I am going to get it. Average selling price on gunbroker seems to be about $100 more than that.

Thanks Again!

Butch