Should I give my son my PA-63?

Info, pictures, advice...
weetabix

Post by weetabix »

I've been trying to make shooting a family sport for some time, and it seems to be working.

My daughter shot in a recent postal match with me and whipped me. She wanted to sign up as a member here so she could shoot this one. My son wanted to as well, so I let them both.

I gave my daughter my CZ-82 last Christmas because she outshoots me with it. I shoot better with my P-64s or a Mak. My son has attached himself to my PA-63.

He surprised the heck out of me by outshooting me and the daughter in the Fourth of July Shoot
http://p64.proboards67.com/index.cgi?bo ... hread=1987

I was going to give him the PA-63 for Christmas this year, but he did so well, the question is should I give it to him now as a reward for his great performance, or do I wait until Christmas?
michaelap

Post by michaelap »

If he's a good boy and makes you proud it's a no-brainer! Christmas is a long time away if it makes you happy now.
bobtx

Post by bobtx »

Give it to him now to enjoy this summer.

Give him a nice hunting rifle for Christmas!?!

Bob
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

Post by carguy »

I say treat him just like you did your daughter and give it to him for Christmas. Don't chance upsetting her by doing for him what you didn't for her (made her wait so make him wait).

Either way you can't lose as you are gettitng your children involved and making this sport and family event 8-)

Good for you!
fritzhund

Post by fritzhund »

Teach him well and let him remember that for the rest of his days.

It is now not only a PA-63, but a family heirloom to be passed down.

Even if 9x18 Makarov is a dead caliber in the future, that gun will always be a part of your family.

I voted YES.

Fritzhund

;)
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"
Hunter S. Thompson: Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
dolang1
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by dolang1 »

Now, I gave my son a PA-63 for his birthday last year and he has thanked me several times as recently as a week ago. Hurry up, give it to him now. Later Don
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by blinddog »

Oh yeah!! Let the guy have it. It will be fun for the both of you. Safe shooting. :) :)
weetabix

Post by weetabix »

I gave it to him. He was thrilled. He's 14, so I haven't seen his face light up like that in quite some time.

Carguy- I gave the CZ-82 to my daughter for Christmas directly after some excellent shooting. She didn't really have to wait, and it was in addition to the "regular" Christmas presents. She did say that she wants the next gun I give away, though, because now he has a handgun and a .22 and she only has a handgun. ;D
brink

Post by brink »

I wish my sons were old enough for me to hand down one of my guns to each of them. Soon, though. Why wait til you're dead for them to inherit something of your when you can do it now and enjoy it?
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

Post by carguy »

I think that it is awesome that your children are involved in shooting with you. Go for it and maybe make it up to her at Christmas with a long gun as well... ;D

Good job for teaching your children this huge responsibility early and enjoy!
electross

Post by electross »

I say go ahead and give it to him. I don't know how old he is but if need be, make him aware of the responsibility that comes with gun ownership. I'm sure he already does as it seems like you enjoy doing things together with your children. If you are still undecided, you can give it to me. I'll take care of it, clean it, change its springs when needed. Give it to him now and that opens doors for Christmas presents, there's ammo, new handgrips, a holster. Or just give the thing to me. ;D
weetabix

Post by weetabix »

brink wrote:Why wait til you're dead for them to inherit something of your when you can do it now and enjoy it?
My thought exactly. That's what I'm working on. When I die, I want them to find a few guns to decide how to parcel out, but they will already have received a pistol, a .22, a shotgun, and a long gun from me.

electross wrote:I say go ahead and give it to him. I don't know how old he is but if need be, make him aware of the responsibility that comes with gun ownership. I'm sure he already does as it seems like you enjoy doing things together with your children.
He's 14. The first thing he did when I gave it to him was dump the mag and check the chamber. Made me proud.

electross wrote:If you are still undecided, you can give it to me. I'll take care of it, clean it, change its springs when needed. Give it to him now and that opens doors for Christmas presents, there's ammo, new handgrips, a holster. Or just give the thing to me. ;D
I'm sorry. I'd already given it to him before I read your request. I'll put your name in for the next one. :D
Last edited by weetabix on July 10th, 2008, 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
electross

Post by electross »

weetabix,
Thats awful nice of ya, but I won't hold my breath. Sounds like a great kid. Hope you guys have a lot of fun. 8-)