Hornaday bullets

Info, pictures, advice...
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Hornaday bullets

Post by normsutton »

shep27

In my opinion in the a 9 X 18 gun, JHP's is a waist of money, FMJ are better for penetration, I use hard cast lead bullets for my carry that I reload myself

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Hornaday bullets

Post by anjdrifter »

I have found that the jhp are not reliable in military pistols IMO they were not designed for them and a side note they were considered illegal as matter of fact.Our favorite Mentor pointed it out to me a long time ago. now I will use the hp when I get a super price and then use as range ammo but have too many cases of feed problems. I have slightly polished the feed and chamber and that just about gets rid of feed error and also had times I have carried a jhp as the third or fourth round down when I am in ccw mode because I dont want any problem my or some elses life might depend on it. like Norm I like the penetration of the
the hard ball ammo. jmo al
electross

Hornaday bullets

Post by electross »

gunneyrabbit wrote:Darrel, don't be put off by the failure to feed Hornady XTP ammo, it is questionable whether the bullet would expand upon impact and would more than likely act like ball ammo. Find a good hot ball ammunition that your pistol shoots well and stick with it. There is a good reason why the Soviet block country's used these hand guns and the reason is that they work with the ammunition they were designed for.
G.R.
Hey Gunny, I have heard that JHP's won't expand, is that because of the actual velocity of the bullet? New question, on a CZ 82 where the barrel is polygonal, will the JHP expand because of a possible higher velocity? Don't want to hi-jack this post, but has anyone compared a CZ 82 against a P64, bullet for bullet and figured out if the polygonal barrel really help that much or will it just last longer because of less resistance.
Last edited by electross on July 15th, 2008, 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
donnerwetter58

Hornaday bullets

Post by donnerwetter58 »

I have yet to try Hornady HP's although I have some here (bullets only). I'll have to measure and try some.
I have loaded many Meister cast bullets with a diameter of .365 and they worked well in both of my P-64's and my PA-63. I then got the Lee 9x18 mold and cast bullets which were sized to .366" ( my P-64 barrels both slugged at .366 and I thought .367 might be too large). The .366 cast bullets worked in all three of the above guns.
So far as jacketed, both varieties of Silver Bear (94 gr. JHP & FMJ) have worked without fail. When I carry the P-64, there is a JHP in the tube, a FMJ at the top of the mag with the remainder alternating from JHP to FMJ. I feel this gives me the best of both options.

Electross,
Lets go shooting. I'll bring the chronograph. Maybe we can answer some of your questions.
electross

Hornaday bullets

Post by electross »

That would be neat, I've read that the CZ 82 has the polygonal barrel for longer life and supposedly a faster velocity due to its design. Be kinda fun. Time and place? We are thinking of going to Brookville this weekend. If we don't connect there, any time next week during the evening is free or next weekend. What do you think?
shep27

Hornaday bullets

Post by shep27 »

Thanks Norm. Good point on the penetration factor with fmj. Also, It does make sense that it would feed properly using fmj. Considering that the p64 was made for firing fmj's!
eaglepath

Hornaday bullets

Post by eaglepath »

I was having problems not going fully to battery when I was using hollow points (forget what label)., but switched to American Eagle by Federal, 95gr. FMJ and have'nt had the problem since.
nbender
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Hornaday bullets

Post by nbender »

I did some chronograph work comparing the Makarov, P-64, and CZ-83. As I remember (that data set is 10,000 miles from where I am now) the CZ-83 shot about 20 - 40 fps faster than the P-64. I attributed that to the 83's slightly longer barrel. I never thought about the difference the polygonal rifleling might make. Anway, the difference in velociites between the pistols is noticeable but too small to be really significant.