Hornaday bullets

Info, pictures, advice...
darrell

Hornaday bullets

Post by darrell »

My P-64 doesn't like Hornaday hollow points and I noticed on the few that I tried to chamber that the bullet actually moved back farther into the brass. I was wondering if this was happening to anyone else. I use silver bear and they chamber pretty well. A few times I don't rack the slide hard enough to chamber the first one but once it is chambered they cycle during shooting. I think the bullet seating farther back is probably hard on the gun if you shoot it later. I also used some military surplus at the range and it had probably 3 times as much recoil as the Fiocchi.
barnett3006

Hornaday bullets

Post by barnett3006 »

Mine doesn't eat Hornady XTPs without jamming either, some here have reported that theirs will feed hornady with no problems at all and others have said the same thing you have. The P64s were designed to shoot ball ammo so some HP ammo will feed and some wont.

Mine seems to exclusively hate Hornady XTP ammo, but every other kind of hollow point I have ever tried has feed just as well as the ball ammo.

Bullet set back can cause excessive pressures when firing.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Hornaday bullets

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Darrel, don't be put off by the failure to feed Hornady XTP ammo, it is questionable whether the bullet would expand upon impact and would more than likely act like ball ammo. Find a good hot ball ammunition that your pistol shoots well and stick with it. There is a good reason why the Soviet block country's used these hand guns and the reason is that they work with the ammunition they were designed for.
G.R.
Last edited by gunneyrabbit on July 1st, 2008, 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
grayfox
Veteran member
Veteran member

Hornaday bullets

Post by grayfox »

Pow-r-ball works great. Shaped like a fmj but has a big hp. ;)
kempin

Hornaday bullets

Post by kempin »

darrell,

Silly question, but . . . is the pistol broken in?

My p-64 (x2) works great with hornady bullets, both out of the box and with handloads, but for the first few hundred rounds it was a bit finicky. You might want to wait before you make any hasty judgements. I think the hornady is great stuff.

God bless and happy fourth,

-Kempin
darrell

Hornaday bullets

Post by darrell »

I have put a few hundred rounds through it. At first it would jam on the first round on each magazine unless I really racked the slide hard. It now feeds flawlessly on FMJ. It will feed Silver Bear ammo pretty well, the more I feed it the better it likes it. It won't even chamber a Hornaday, no matter how many times I try. If had the feed ramp polished or something like that it might. I just don't see any compelling reason to do it. I don't really see the Hornaday as any better than the Silver Bear. If you hit the right spot FMJ is plenty good enough.
kempin

Hornaday bullets

Post by kempin »

Hmmmm. I could see if the pistol didn't feed well or tended to jam, but if you can't get the ammo chambered, then there must be something else wrong.

OK, this might be a little crazy, but did you check the head stamp? If you somehow got 9x19 ammo that was mislabeled, it would not chamber. I cannot see how factory 9x18 ammo would not chamber unless there was something wrong with it. If there is a flaw or a bulge in the ammo, I would contact Hornady. (That stuff is expensive)

And of course, if it turns out to be 9x19 ammo, and you do succeed in chambering it, DO NOT FIRE.

For what it is worth.

And I would like to know if you get if figured out. I have never had a problem with Hornady, but that doesn't mean it is impossible.

God bless and straight shooting,

-Kempin
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Hornaday bullets

Post by normsutton »

I believe that when Hornady started making bullets for the 9 x 18 the dia. of the bullets was .365 witch is to big for the P-64 , PA-63, CZ-82 but shoot fin in the MAK. you might what to call them and find out

.363 bullets work best in P-64 , PA-63, CZ-82

https://www.hornady.com/contact_us.php

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

Hornaday bullets

Post by blinddog »

Norm, I have fired several hundred Hornady hollow points through my p-64's and one of them just loves them and the other two are so, so. Its just the gun I suppose. Maybe this will help a little.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Hornaday bullets

Post by normsutton »

blinddog

yes and I have loaded a 100 rounds of Hornaday bullets and they all feed in all my guns but the dia is not .365, some ware they change the dia. of the bullets to the right size but there are still some out there that are not

these are some I loaded

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
bobtx

Hornaday bullets

Post by bobtx »

+1 with Norm. I load the Hornady's for my Mak and use the Gold Dots (.364) for the P-64 and PA-63.

Bob
kempin

Hornaday bullets

Post by kempin »

Sounds reasonable. I must have never encountered the oversize bullets, because I have never had a problem. Still, it seems odd unless he had old ammo.

Norm, did those .365 bullets refuse to chamber at all? It just seems strange to me.

-Kempin
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Hornaday bullets

Post by normsutton »

kempin

I know they hang up in the mag's of the P-64 and all FEG 9x18 guns and won't hang up in a MAK's mag, some will shoot out of the P-64 because not all barrels on the P-64 are of the same dia. and there are a lot off MAK's out that have a larger dia. barrels in them.

look at the dia on these bullets
http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/BrowseP ... tring=9315***652***19785***9015***

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
darrell

Hornaday bullets

Post by darrell »

When I say won't chamber. I mean the slide won't totally close. I have never got the slide to go all the way to battery with the hornaday. I did buy these a couple of years ago so they are probably the large bullets or my gun may just not like hollowpoints very well. I may need to shoot some more rounds to polish the feed ram. I have put couple hundred rounds through it and it cycles much better than initially. I don't believe it had been use much if any prior to me.
shep27

Hornaday bullets

Post by shep27 »

Hi! Im a first time poster, but have been reading for a few months, since I picked up my p-64. Today I tried to feed my p-64 some Hornady 9x18 95gr xtp's and had the exact same type of feed problems Darrell is talking about. I was only able to get 3 rds to chamber. I first thought that it was a fluke because it has shot 550 rounds of blazer and wolf fmj's with out a hiccup. Are there any manufactures of jhp that y'all have had good results with? Just curious because I want to use my p-64 as a ccw option. The pow-r-ball that Gray Fox mentioned is Cor bon right? Thanks.