Initial Impressions

Info, pictures, advice...
robhdpdx

Initial Impressions

Post by robhdpdx »

So I just got my P-64 a few weeks ago and I thought I'd share some thoughts and experiences on the subject.
I bought a 1976 unissued with two mags for $189 at the Portland, OR gun show. I had the guy throw in an additional new mag for $20.
I couldn't wait to shoot it, and went straight to the range. BAD idea. The packing grease allows you to fire it, but doesn't really do the job. I had a failure to feed on the second shot (it hung on the feed ramp), but did fine after that. I see this as a testament to this little pistol's reliability. I shot about 75 rounds of Blazer ammo out of it and found it painful to shoot. The webbing on my hand was red and crying out for me to stop shooting. The mags were also extremely difficult to load.
I then took it home and went to work. Washed out all of the packing grease with denatured alcohol and then hit every part on it with Tetralube grease. The functioning suddenly became extremely smooth. I couldn't wait to shoot it again. I practiced cycling the action over and over. I stored it with the hammer cocked and kept ammo in the mags for a couple weeks to stretch things out and loosen things up. I also bought a box of Hornady JHP/XTP ammo just in case.
A week ago, I was traveling to a hiking spot near Mt. St. Helens and had my P-64 with me just in case. I suddenly spied a wonderful plinking spot on the side of the road and had to stop! Unfortunately, all I had with me was the expensive Hornady ammo, but I thought what the heck.
So I stopped and had a little fun.
The recoil was no longer painful. I have to attribute this to having a properly lubricated gun, as this was the only thing I had changed from the last time I shot it that could make this difference. I think I can highly recommend the Tetralube grease based on this experience.
Another thing that I should report on is a strange result I got from the Hornady ammo. I shot it into a log from point-blank range (about 5 feet) just to see what would happen. The bullet mushroomed nicely, but did not penetrate. About half of it was still sticking outside the log! I pried it out with my Swiss Army knife and kept it just for fun.
This led me to think that alternating between FMJ and JHP ammo might be a good idea for self-defense purposes.
Other thoughts:
The fit and finish could be improved upon. Most notably, the front corners of the grip, the corners on the upper end of the backstrap, and the pinky grip on the mag have sharp edges that are less than ideal. I'm strongly considering breaking out the Dremel and grinding some of these edges to make things more ergonomic.
I am of course going to experiment with changing out some of the springs based on the recommendations posted on this site. However, I'm not nearly as daunted by the DA pull after putting that Tetralube grease on things. It's hefty, but a rapid pull to the rear rather than a slow, hesitating one seems to do the job even with the factory spring.
Another thing I feel I should mention is the issue of how to carry this pistol. Many people have said that they leave the safety off because the heavy DA pull should be enough. I think that people should consider that this gun, with the safety off, CAN FIRE if dropped. It does not have an intertial firing pin (I checked). If you drop it with a round chambered and the safety off, and it lands on the hammer, it can and most likely will go off.
I will appreciate an and all comments, recommendations, opinions, etc. regarding this post! Great site!
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Initial Impressions

Post by normsutton »

robhdpdx

welcome
great report

it is essential that these guns be cleaned before shooting ,then properly oiled , to function right,

having said that , when I buy a new gun to me I take it home and clean it before I ever shoot it

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
9x18shooter

Initial Impressions

Post by 9x18shooter »

Rob, You will grow to love this little gun.

If the p-64 is working properly the hammer cannot travel forward to contact the firing pin unless the trigger is in the pulled or rear position much like a newer revolver so it should not go off if dropped.

Wlcome to the board!!!!
donnerwetter58

Initial Impressions

Post by donnerwetter58 »

robhdpdx,
Welcome to the board.
Good report.
As far as inertial firing pins, both of my P-64's, a '71 and '76 rely on inertia for ignition. There have been some reports of varying firing pin lengths. Seems you have a long one.
As 9x18 shooter stated, the hammer is blocked until the trigger is pulled.
Enjoy your P-64 and carry it the way you feel comfortable.