Qualified today with my P64.

Info, pictures, advice...
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

My range partner and I were at the range this morning with eight local police officers from the city's of Portland Oregon and Vancouver Washington who were there to qualify. The range captain had know problem with us shooting at the end of the range during qualification and when they started I shot the course fallowing the range captains instructions. Shooting was done from three to about thirty three feet for Portland officers and out to fifty feet for Vancouver Police. To make a long story short, the P64 not only qualified but it gave the tightest group of all the pistole's. In all fairness the officers were shooting full size Glocks and Berettas and the P64 had a huge recoil advantage with its Wolff springs in place. By the way I was shooting Braunel's Brown Bear ammunition, a very nice product and very accurate also.
G.R..
Last edited by gunneyrabbit on June 26th, 2008, 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
protector

Post by protector »

Its great to hear when a firearm costing 1/3 of its competition can hang right with them,great job gunny doing your part,and the gun doing its part also!! :P
Last edited by protector on June 26th, 2008, 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aim small,hit small...
manicmechanic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by manicmechanic »

Sounds like you'll be all dialed in for the 4th of July shoot GR!
Also good showing them up with the 64!!
Last edited by manicmechanic on June 26th, 2008, 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

G.R.

way to go

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
goldmeister

Post by goldmeister »

Any modifications to the P-64 besides the Wolff springs? I put the 18# hammer spring, a new firing pin spring and a 20# recoil spring in my 1968 and seems to work just fine. Feeds ball and JHP reliably so I haven't throated it or polished the feed ramp. Have pretty much only tested it for function and haven't really zeroed in on tack driving accuracy yet. At 7 yards I can cover the group with my palm and figure for a carry pistol, that's good to go.
I've been lurking around here for a while and would like to thank everyone for all the generously shared great information and camaraderie.
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by anjdrifter »

norm like the new avatar
barnett3006

Post by barnett3006 »

Nice shooting gunney!

Goldmeister, welcome to the forum!
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Goldmeister, welcome to the forum, always good to see new members.
Only mechanical changes were the springs, I did use a little Ghost White on the front sight though and it helped me pick up the front sight a lot faster. I also noticed that the Brown Bear ammunition I was shooting seems a little more accurate for me than the Silver Bear that I have been using. The pistol is shooting a little bit low and to the left, upon inspection I noted that the rear sight needs to go to the right slightly and the Ghost White puddled a bit on the top edge of the sight which is causing the slightly low shots. I will need to correct those two issues before the next range secession, Oh well, just more fun for me doing what I love to do.
G.R. ;D

P.S.
Hay Norm, how did you get the photo's onto the avatar section?
G.R.
Last edited by gunneyrabbit on July 9th, 2008, 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

Goldmeister

WELCOME

AL
thanks

G.R

( If you would like to use your own custom avatar, enter the full http:// URL to it in this box. You can specify your own custom width and height for your avatar. Avatars must be no more than 100x100 pixels.)

NORM
Last edited by normsutton on June 27th, 2008, 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
ourbigbluehouse

Post by ourbigbluehouse »

Let me add my conrats as well on the qualification. I had an opportunity to try a combat course this past spring but they wouldn't let my P 64 or a friends PA 63 on. they too few shots and mag eject was too difficult to manage. We would have to either us one of theirs and buy the 100 rounds needed or forget it. As it was we had to cancel due to bad Ohio weather ( imagine that).

IMHO too many "experts" underestimate the Markarov family of handuns.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

I'll be real honest, there were three fellows of the eight that did not qualify on the first round and one who was down right incompetent/dangerous with his weapon, the range captain was not impressed. Two of the shooters were spot on with their shot placement and the other qualifiers where all over the target within the chest and abdomen parameters, it was a real eye opener for me. Again, in all fairness, I know not all officers cruise the streets in cars or on bikes and horse back, I know that most will never be called on to use deadly force; but I was uncomfortable being on the line with the one fellow on several occasions and would not like to do so again.
G.R.
maddogrecurve

Post by maddogrecurve »

Thats Wild Gunny....... I Just started college courses for a degree in Criminal Justice. I will be on a range like that one day! I can't wait!!!!

Jeff
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Maddogrecurve,
Congratulations, you'll have to keep us all informed on how it goes.
G.R.