HAND LOADING 9x18 MAK ROUND

Info, pictures, advice...
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

I just got a lee mold yesterday its a (mold dc 365-95-1R) and a Lyman size die (363) and top punch (311) this is a round nose bullet the bullet wt. after sizing and lub. wighted 101.8 gr. not 95 gr. lead was wheel wight's and dental xray film backs , starting load was 3.5 gr. of 231 Winchester . Test gun was a Pa.63 that I pick up yesterday. fired 5 rounds at 11' in garage this morning all feed just fine , recoil wasn't bad ether no bad pressure marks on brass so I'm going to bump the load to 4.0 gr. of 231. I have some pictures of 2 slug's I pull out of phone book ( page #524) and 1 cast bullet.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g198/ ... MAK101.jpg

(PLEASE DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME )

I have a bullet stop and sound proofing

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

4.0 gr. of 231 is the mak's I will go with this bullet I don't think it need's any more power
recoil was maybe a little stroger but not much
pressure on brass none on primers no more than flocchi 95gr
about 175 t0 180 more pages of phone book
2 more slugs pulled phone book
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g198/ ... K101-2.jpg

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
kempin

Post by kempin »

Thanks for the data! I don't cast my own--at least not yet--but I am always interested in the info.

Have you tried these loads in the p-64?

Kempin
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

kempin

No I didn't I wanted to use the PA-63 because of it's longer barrel and lightness and to what people say about its feeding problems . save one of the bullets that feed fine in your gun and set bullet seating die to that hight I used a WINCHESTER 9x18 FULL METAL JACKET to get the bullet seat depth . it should work just fine in all 9x18 pistol's . lead bullets are the cheapest way to shot as long as you don't have to buy lead .

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
tunnelrat

Post by tunnelrat »

kempin

No I didn't I wanted to use the PA-63 because of it's longer barrel and lightness and to what people say about its feeding problems .
With regard to the PA-63's feeding problems, mine had a very rough feed ramp. I took a dremel tool and buffed it a bit -- not to remove any metal, but to polish the surface. Before the polishing, I averaged about one failure to feed out of ten rounds. Since I did the polishing, I've put over 150 rounds through it with no problems whatever.

Unfortunately, the magazine itself serves as a limitation on what ammo the PA-63 can take. It holds the 100 grain Wolf just fine, but 115 grain Silver Bear won't even fit inside the magazine. The difficulty lies in the OAL and in the shape of the ogive. The wide mouth on the Silver Bear JHP binds against the sides of the magazine.

The PA-63 is indeed a fine little gun; it is very attractive with its two tone finish. The aluminum frame makes it rather light to carry, yet it is heavy enough that 100 grain Wolf ammo doesn't offer an unpleasant recoil.

Even so, I think I much prefer either my Mak or my P-64 over the '63. I trust my Mak and I trust my '64; I do not yet have the confidence in the '63 to use it for self-defense.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

T- RAT

Just miked the SILVER BEARS 115GR HP'S ( .364.5 )
FLOCCHI 95GR BALL (.363)
WINCCHESTER 95GR BALL (.363)
HORNADY 95GR HP/XTP (.364)

I'm beginng to think SILVER BEAR amo may not safe to shoot
know wonder there is so many complants about the recoil

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

Some one was asking about loads for the 95gr HORNADY HP/XTP acording to Speer manual # 12 .Image

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

MORE LOADING DATA FOR 9x18

http://www.hodgdon.com/data/pistol/918mmmak.php

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
bret

Post by bret »

I stopped shooting my reloads in my P64 because it was ruining the cases. It leaves those smiley faces just above the extractor groove like some Glocks do to 40S&W cases.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

That maybe caused by to hot a load , thats from the case hitting the slide, what was the load you were useing powder and weight of bullet

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

Found this artical on lead casting

http://www.gunsandbullets.com/articles/casting.asp

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
kempin

Post by kempin »

Norm,

Thanks for the article.

-Kempin
918collector

Post by 918collector »

Is there any chance that this 115 gr. Silver Bear is submachine gun ammo. I have a couple of 7.62x25's. One is a Chinese tokarev and the other is a CZ52. I seem to remember warnings in the magazines that the Chinese throwaway 7.62x25 available at the time was for submachine guns and therefore too hot for pistols.

I have also heard that you have to be really careful with european 9mmP from surplus sources as it is subgun ammo and can wreck a pistol in short order.
nbender
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by nbender »

No chance. Silver Bear 115-grain was made for the American market, and was produced from roughly 2001 - 2005, give or take a year either way.
918collector

Post by 918collector »

Be interesting to pick some up & run it through my mak. I'm satisfied with the stuff I'm using already in the P64.

RE: Casting bullet costs & buying lead - Try a tire place. See if you can buy their broken wheel weights. They might even give them away to get rid of them. In my home state, it even used to be illegal to re-use old wheelweights so there was always plenty around.