sad rusted mag

Info, pictures, advice...
trent
Veteran member
Veteran member

sad rusted mag

Post by trent »

Back in April I was helping chauffer cars at my Aunt's wedding and lost one of my p64 mags in the process. I origionally thought I had dropped it in some distant relative's car >:( but a couple of days ago I found it in the yard, here's the damage

I figure the spring is dead, so I can atleast harvest the finger extention floor plate and follower for spare parts and maybe I can de-rust the mag body and keep it as well
Last edited by trent on June 2nd, 2008, 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
electross

sad rusted mag

Post by electross »

ooooh, looks ugly, but maybe you can put a bore brush with one bore rod and a battery drill for the inside, your right about the spring, its kaput, a wire wheel for the outside of the mag should salvage the magazine. I bet it will always show the corrosion but it should still function. Good Luck.
critter

sad rusted mag

Post by critter »

Hey Trent!
Nice looking mag you have there. I do a lot of trading and come across some sad looking items on a regular basis. Here is a method that will remove all rust and leave the rust spots a flat black color. I cannot figure out how to post a link but here is how to find the article. www.stovebolt.com Under tech tips go to restoration article on rust removal. Pick electrolytic rust removal.
I use a plastic pan that is notched on oposite corners and lay a metal rod across there. Hang the rusted item with wire. The metal for the bottom of the container can be nearly any size but it helps if it is bent so that one end sticks up out of the water. You then clip one wire to that and one to the top rod. The water should just cover the part to be derusted. I use table salt or baking soda for my mixture and it works well. You know it is working if small bubbles start coming off the part almost immediately. This method has worked well for me. After about 45 minutes you should be able brush it off with a nylon brush and clean water. Dry and wipe down with oil.
trent
Veteran member
Veteran member

sad rusted mag

Post by trent »

hey, thanks I think I'll try that
weetabix

sad rusted mag

Post by weetabix »

Critter,

Is the battery charger a car battery charger, or one for AA type batteries?

Could you substitute an old wall charger for cell phones or an adapter like that?

I guess I'm asking about voltage ranges.

Thanks!
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

sad rusted mag

Post by normsutton »

Trent

I think what I would do is take the mag. apart , then get a bottle of navel jelly and soak in that tell all the rust is off , if you have access to a bead blaster , bast it , no blaster,brush with fine steal wire wheel, the heat it up over a torch , then drop it in oil , WOLFF makes mag. springs http://www.gunsprings.com/GenPurp/SemiA ... l#Magazine

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
critter

sad rusted mag

Post by critter »

Weetabix;
It is a car battery charger. It really only needs 2-3 amps. This only eliminates the rust and has not removed any of the bluing on the mags I have done. Larry
trent
Veteran member
Veteran member

sad rusted mag

Post by trent »

hey norm what type should I order? (9mm, 380 ect)
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

sad rusted mag

Post by normsutton »

Trent

I think 380 , most 9x18 mag's are 380 mag's

or you can call Wolff and see witch to use , I know that some time in the future Wolff was supposed to make mag springs for the P-64

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
trent
Veteran member
Veteran member

sad rusted mag

Post by trent »

I'll give them a call tomorrow, thanks
weetabix

sad rusted mag

Post by weetabix »

critter wrote:Weetabix;
It is a car battery charger. It really only needs 2-3 amps. This only eliminates the rust and has not removed any of the bluing on the mags I have done. Larry
This sounds like great fun. I gotta find something rusty!
garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

sad rusted mag

Post by garry »

Remember to use a TIMER and set it for two minutes at a time. You can eat right thru if left in for too long. G

Trent, How did it turn out? G
trent
Veteran member
Veteran member

sad rusted mag

Post by trent »

sorry, been quite busy lately, after Tuesday I should have some time to myself I'll give it a try then.

I called Wolff, they said they will make the p64 mag spring at some point but they are backed up right now and have to get their current stuff finished before they make anything new.

I got it apart and it looks quite salvageable, I believe I have all necessary parts (aside from the baking soda, which is easy to get and I'm sure there's an electrode somewhere around here)

so I'll report back once I get started