Poll: Should I trade a P-64 for a CZ-52?

Info, pictures, advice...
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Weetabix,
I love my CZ-52, converted to 9mm and it is very accurate. Kept the factory barrel to shoot when I can find some decently priced ammo. The thing that I really like about the 52 is that I can see the front/back sights and the target at the same time with my old man eyes.
By the way, Wolf Gold is very accurate in the factory barrel and is non-corrosive. 1400+ fps. is a lot of fun to shoot!
Go for the trade, you'll be pleased.
G.R.
Last edited by gunneyrabbit on May 31st, 2008, 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jakub66

Post by jakub66 »

If you like different firearms, go for for a trade with a "boot". CZ-52 is not a CZAK, but it is an unique gun. I keep mine as a companion to SHE-52 (try to find reliable 7.62X45 ammo for this one!), and testament to great Czech arms industry. I think it handles 7.62X25 bit nicer than TT-33. Fun to shoot.
Personally, I never pass a chance to add something different to my collection. I stopped at the gun show at Great Town of Amarillo, Texas (one can hear upper case when locals say it) last weekend, and came home with Mle 1935A French pistol. Now I'm having fun just trying to find some info about it. Again - go for the trade, just don't get below two P-64 in the house.
pshootr

Post by pshootr »

Typically, CZ-52s are sold by importers with 2 mags, an original issue holster, cleaning rod and lanyard. Finish is either gray phosphate (original) or blued. Conditions I've seen ranged from like new with minor handling wear to ratty. Considering that you have 3 P-64s I'd say go ahead and trade even if it's in very good or better condition. I have one and they're cool guns. They are also pretty clumsy and tend to shoot low as a self-defense handgun. During the cold war collectors were willing to pay $1000 - $2000 for the very few that found their way into this country. That was before the Czech govt began dumping their surplus.
weetabix

Post by weetabix »

PshootR wrote:They are also pretty clumsy and tend to shoot low as a self-defense handgun.
I'd think they'd be great self defense weapons if you could just get 7 or 8 bad guys to line up. We wouldn't want to kill people in the next county! :o

During the cold war collectors were willing to pay $1000 - $2000 for the very few that found their way into this country. That was before the Czech govt began dumping their surplus.
I think I'd be an upset collector if I'd bought one then.
primarchbentley

Post by primarchbentley »

Of course, this becomes an interesting question in light of the news about more surplus P-64s and P-83s hitting the market. If you want to do this, perhaps the sooner, the better.

My CZ-52 was actually the very first pistol I purchased for myself. Yes, there's a pretty good chance you'll draw eyes on the range, due to the 'sound and fury.' Also, if you decide to reload, be ready to do a lot of brass hunting, as the CZ-52 has one HELL of an ejection. At the indoor range I go to most of the time, I've had casings bounce between walls, up, and over into someone else's lane. Add that to the fact that, the very first day the range was open, I put a ding in the bullet-proof window between range and shop with a CZ-52 case ejection... the range puts serious thought into my lane assignment when I take my CZ-52. :D

While I think I have some of my best precision with the P-64, I can usually only stand firing a box of 50 at most. With new grips (a Hogue HandAll works fine for me), I have no problems going through 150 or more rounds in the CZ-52.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

I'm kinda riding the fence here because I've had 5 P-64's and 4 CZ52's. Today I have 2 P-64's and 2 CZ52's, they are two totally different guns however, they both were military and police handguns in their day, but trying to compare the two is difficult at best. For me, I really like the P-64 for what it is and I really like the the CZ52 for what it is. I still carry one of my P-64's as my primary CCW pistols, but when it comes to some fun shooting/plinking the CZ52 is by far my favorite of the two.

I voted Yes, if he has some boot. However, I have accumulated a lot of milsurp handguns and rifles in my time, I trade and sell all the time, and wish I still had all that I got rid of and in some cases I have gotten back a few that I sold or traded.

My philosophy is its better to have bought and lost than not to have had at all. In your case, if he is recoil sensitive he probably won't want the P-64 after he shoots it, but stranger things have happened. If your main concern is getting a equal trade for your P-64 then you probably shouldn't make the trade, so go and buy a CZ52 outright somewhere and have the fun of shooting the CZ52, its a blast to shoot, if anyone is around when you are shooting it they will most likely come over and have to see what the heck you are shooting, but mainly the CZ52 is a hoot to shoot, and I don't regret having two of them and as a matter of fact, I'm thinking of getting a third one in the near future, I almost got one of the hard chromed ones from Classic Arms for $199, but by the time I made up my mind they were all gone. The two I have now I had custom grips made for me by a friend.

1953 w/ Ash grips, he called them "PigAsh"coined by his farmer neighbor, thats the story I got?

1954 w/ Hard Rock Feathered Maple grips

papabear
POINT SHOOTER
electross

Post by electross »

I really like the looks of your CZ 52 papabear. I've got a set of grips coming from makarov.com if the order went through(as we all know they may have a sale pending). If those don't show up I'll check out Marschal's. Had any luck with surplus ammo? :)
weetabix

Post by weetabix »

The CZ-52 was the first pistol I thought about getting. They're sounding more interesting.

Does anyone know a source for firing pins now that Makarov.com is leaving us?
electross

Post by electross »

buymilsurp.com has them for 16.00, there should be some others, I bought an extra when makarov.com first listed that they were going to close doors. I've never really looked much further than those guys because I knew they had them.
pshootr

Post by pshootr »

Here's one source: http://www.hoosiergunworks.com/catalog/mil_pistols.html
Described as "new" and $15.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

weetabix

I have one of these firing pins

http://www.floridaammotraders.com/

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
nicksterdemus

Post by nicksterdemus »

Swap straight across the board for a nice grey phosphate.

Luv the 52 flamethower...
Last edited by nicksterdemus on June 7th, 2008, 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by himmel »

Celebrate diversity! get the 52, since you already have the 64s to spare. I voted "with boot" just because of the price differential, but then, when it comes down to it, a gun is ultimately worth whatever someone is willing to pay (or trade) for it.