Finally got a P64!

Info, pictures, advice...
volfandan

Finally got a P64!

Post by volfandan »

I have enjoyed this wonderful little forum for quite some time now, but have only had a PA-63 as my 9x18.

Well, I've been searching for months on "the right one".....and it finally happened. I was looking on Auction Arms, and won one for $99.13. It is missing the trigger guard, but that's only a $20 part. It did come with the pin, spring, and plunger.....so all I need is just the trigger guard itself.

So TN Guns was the importer, and they are just across the lake from me. It was really frustrating to me that it was going to be almost $12 flat rate shipping on a trigger guard that is only going about 12 miles as the crow flies.

I was talking to the guy about it at my local shop where I have my transfers sent. He laughed and told me that the owner of TN Guns was one of the partners who owned the local gun shop as well. He called him on his cell, and told me that he'd drop one by the shop in a day or so.

The other great thing about it is the year of manufacture. I had no idea when I bid on it, but when it got here.....it's a 1974, which is my birth year. Triangle hammer, serrated trigger, flat grips. She should clean up very well!
gypsydavy

Finally got a P64!

Post by gypsydavy »

Wow! Great score. It pays to watch the auctions. I've also wondered if TN Guns had a retail outlet.
electross

Finally got a P64!

Post by electross »

That is GREAT. I envy you because you get to fix it, clean it up, and be proud of something that didn't cost an arm and a leg and still will shoot great. Have fun. Let everyone know how it shoots after you get it ready with a new trigger guard. What a great buy! :)
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Finally got a P64!

Post by papabear »

volfandan,

Nice find, your going to like that little hunk of steel, they are nice little shooters, when you get her fixed up and polished let us have a look see.

papabear
POINT SHOOTER
garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

Finally got a P64!

Post by garry »

Hey VolFanDan, How is that P-64 coming along? Have you ordered/recieved the trigger guard yet?
Just anxious to see you get it going so we can hear how it runs! Please keep us posted! G

BTW, i noticed the wear on the blueing at the back where the slide is "rubbing", is the slide loose at all? I figure it is just normal wear, but, i am curious.
Does anyone know if there is a way to stop that from wearing away the blue on that area? perhaps "relieving" that area UNDER the inside of the slide? or would that make it worse?
Has anyone here done much work under the slide on the rails and such? If so, what were the results? and was it helpful to "work it over"? I haven't ever messed with the slides other than cleaning them ,so I am not sure if there are "tricks or tips" for hotrodding it, so to speak.
ANYONE?
Thanks in advance for any answers, G
Last edited by garry on May 27th, 2008, 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
volfandan

Finally got a P64!

Post by volfandan »

Garry,

Well, it's not coming at all as of yet. The guy at the local shop called the owner (Ryan) of TN Guns to tell him to drop off the trigger guard at the shop for me. I called today, and the shop employee said that he hadn't come by with the part.....guess b/c of the 3 day weekend. I'll have to check and see if the slide is loose, but I think it's perfectly fine. It felt just like my PA-63 when I racked it and played with it.....so I'm betting it's just wear.

I'm dying for some nice Dennis grips, but I really just need to get the trigger guard first, touch up with cold blue, buff, and change out the springs.

I'm kinda liking the look of the Amboyna Burl wood grips that Dennis makes........ :o
garda77

Finally got a P64!

Post by garda77 »

Has Dennis resolved the cracking issues yet? I think I've read of people having the new and improved versions break after just a few shots, or was that just the old version?
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

Finally got a P64!

Post by blinddog »

You got one heck of a deal there volfandan. I think, just by looking at the pics that the little jewel is in really good shape. Congrats, you are going to have a lot of fun. Man you can do so much with a P-64 that when you get through working with it ya got a diamond instead of a rock. Have fun!!! ;D