Somewhat OT; Polish Holocaust hero dies at age 98

Info, pictures, advice...
bartoszsitarski

Post by bartoszsitarski »

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080512/ap_ ... it_sendler

It's OT because it has nothing to do with the P64, but, if it weren't for folks like her, there would be no P64 to write about. My prayers are with her family. I always get touched by these types of stories because my family is made up of survivors who suffered the horrors of the camps and prisons. Thought that I would share.
"History will be kind to me for I intend to write it."
Sir Winston Churchill (1874 - 1965)
michaelap

Post by michaelap »

Thanks for posting this, we should hope to be as good as she was! Not entirely OT. It does make our struggles (with the 2nd) here in the states seem small potatoes by comparison
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

bartoszsitarski

thank for the post

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

bartoszsitarski,

Thanks for sharing with us the sad passing of this heroic little woman that defied the Nazi's, I remember reading about her some time back and was amazed at the courage and resolve she must have had to do all the things she did without regard for her own life. For me it was really sad to see Al Gore win out over her for the Nobel Peace Prize in 2007, for me that was real a travesty.

papabear
POINT SHOOTER
manicmechanic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by manicmechanic »

Thanks for the post Bartosz, great read, and great woman!
frym

Post by frym »

Yes, a great post. Read about her yesterday in the news. That is one tough woman. Can't afford to forget about people like her.
volfandan

Post by volfandan »

papabear wrote:bartoszsitarski,

For me it was really sad to see Al Gore win out over her for the Nobel Peace Prize in 2007, for me that was real a travesty.

papabear
Come on Papa, after all.....Al DID invent the INTERNET!

Seriously though, that is worth posting and remembering. My wife is Jewish, and I have a special place in my heart for all affected by the holocaust. A lady that my wife used to work with came over for a passover dinner a few years back, and brought her mother.....who was a holocaust survivor.

Let me just say that when she talked.....people shut up and listened. She wasn't bashful about what happened, and told it like it was. She talked about watching two German soldiers take turns shooting her aunt, and then mother....and just laughing. I wondered why she talked so vividly about something that was so horrible. Her reply was simple: People need to know and remember.

She said that there were 5 girls including her, that were close friends. They all agreed that whoever made it out alive would tell about the horrors to everyone for as long as they lived. She was the only survivor.

When she talked about visiting Poland in the late 90's, and going to the memorial and telling her friends that she had kept her promise for over 50 years.....yeah, that'll bring tears to any man's eyes.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Bartoszsitarski,
Thank you for taking the time to post this article, quite an inspiring piece. I'm sorry to say that this is the first that I have heard of Mr's Sendler and her heroic actions during the Nazi tyranny of the second world war. Her bravery is obviously without doubt and she was credit to humanity.
Its sad when unsung hero's finally pass away, it makes the world a less happy place.
G.R.
beasleydano
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by beasleydano »

+1. Thanks for sharing the story.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

volfandan wrote:
papabear wrote:bartoszsitarski,

For me it was really sad to see Al Gore win out over her for the Nobel Peace Prize in 2007, for me that was real a travesty.

papabear
Come on Papa, after all.....Al DID invent the INTERNET!

OOOPS, I forgot Mr. Gore was from TN, oh well..... :'(

papabear
POINT SHOOTER