Another FNG

Info, pictures, advice...
thatguy91k

Another FNG

Post by thatguy91k »

Hey guys, just thought I would say hello. I recently purchased a P-64 from the local fun shop and ran across the site while looking for info about it.

Here lately I've had a hankerin' for buying small frame auto's and when I saw this in the display, I knew it would be coming home with me. :D Well without further ado, here she is right after I got her home.

I've already ordered the Wolff hammer spring kit and a set of grips from Dennis. Now I just need to order a trigger return spring from Norm and I should be set, so stand by for future pics and range report!
michaelap

Another FNG

Post by michaelap »

Very nice and welcome, before you change her up give it a try as is. I like mine the way it came from the factory. In my opinion for what it may be worth shoot it as it was made before you alter it, but either way have a lot of fun!! Thanks and keep us posted>
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Another FNG

Post by gunneyrabbit »

thatguy91k, welcome aboard and congratulations on the purchase, your going to love the pistol no matter how you choose to shoot it. Very accurate and tame with the recoil spring traded out. I'll leave it up to you regarding the hammer strut spring replacement, I prefer for the lighter double action pull, but you may decide that it makes the single action pull too light, many do. Good luck with your project, I predict your new pistol is going to become one of your favorite shooters.
Gunney Rabbit. :)
grayfox
Veteran member
Veteran member

Another FNG

Post by grayfox »

Welcome to the best "lil" family on the net. No question is too dumb to ask & Norm can help you out with any problems. He is our 'smith. :)
garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

Another FNG

Post by garry »

Welcome ! Nice looking Pistol !!! I knew right away when I saw mine that I would like it,too. As soon as the gunguy handed it to me, i HAD to buy it. It just felt Right ! Still does ! I also like mine the way it is factory stock. I would also suggest shooting about 300 shots before changing the innards. Just to make sure that it is getting broke in and so you can get used to the feel so you can notice what the changes do it. It makes sense to work it smooth first. Methinks. Good Luck ! G
electross

Another FNG

Post by electross »

As everyone has said, you don't have to be in a hurry to change out the hammer spring and recoil spring. My first P64 was a little rough when I first got it, but changed out the springs and polished a few things and its much better. My second one which is a 1973 and two years older than my first ,shot great without any mods. Go figure. :) Just be careful of one major drawback of the P64. THE PISTOL IS AN ADDICTION. The reasonable price makes you want to buy one every time you find one in a gun shop. It's a "love-hate" thing. I love'em, my wife hates'em ;)
electross

Another FNG

Post by electross »

One more thing. Don't look on this web site. mcsfirearms.com
under used handguns. Don't do it! ::)
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

Another FNG

Post by carguy »

I'm a little slow...must be us "northerners" but I couldn't figure out why the picture was of a P-64 and the title of the thread referenced an FNG... :'(...I was looking for an FNG...WHAT THE HELL IS AN FNG ???

I read this thread 3 times.

OHHHHHHHHHHHHH!! A F_____G New Gun!! I got it!!! No calls, no letters it's okay

::)
volfandan

Another FNG

Post by volfandan »

carguy,

used to be a boat at the marina down the road named "JAFETICA".......Just Another F____g Expensive Toy I Can't Afford.
Last edited by volfandan on April 22nd, 2008, 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

Another FNG

Post by blinddog »

For just coming home that looks great!! I haven't found one in this area yet, but when I doooo :) :) Seriously, that is one great looking gun and is really making my trigger finger itch, I haven't shot in a while and I really want to. Good luck!!
thatguy91k

Another FNG

Post by thatguy91k »

Thanks guys for the welcome, I took everybody's advice and took her out shooting today with a buddy of mine before doing any changes. Here's a quick AAR.

The good: I was pleasantly surprised at how manageable the recoil was. I picked up a PA-63 from the same fun store (he's gonna put me in a world of hurt ;D) and it was a lot worse for felt recoil then the P-64. I shot a mix of Hornady, wolf, and some German manufacture ammo and it ate it all with out any problems. I still haven't put enough rounds through it to determine if it's reliable enough to carry, but we were pressed for time. The accuracy was great for such a small barrel and I was getting decent center mass groupings at under 20 meters. Definitely good enough for a defensive weapon.

The bad: The trigger in double action was crappy, but it wasn't that big of a shock as I have read that here. Next week I am planning on changing out the hammer spring and go from there. I wasn't overly impressed with the factory sights but they did their job well enough overall. It just seemed to take a smidge longer to align. The slide did bite me once (thank goodness for gloves), but it was the last mag of the day and I was shooting it in double action, so I'm sure that my thumb changed position.

Over all I am really impressed with this weapon as it seems to be a fun little shooter. Once I get enough ammo down range then I can't wait to start carrying it. Now to start getting the accessories! :)

Carguy: FNG is an old Army term that means "Fricken New Guy". It's usually uttered when a new troop does something dumb, which I'm sure I will, lol!

electross: The MCS website has already been added to my favorites, so hopefully the bank won't be to mad at me. ;D
garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

Another FNG

Post by garry »

AAAh , i thought it meant Fancy New Gun! lol
Thatguy91k, There is enough different spring change comparison/performance data now, in the"STICKY BOOK" and the "Fixes and Mods" section, to make a well educated decision on choice of springs to use. I believe that every spring combination has been tried now in each different weight/rate, and most have agreed on 2 or 3 different combinations for comfort, performance, and reliability. Some cover all three just fine. I hope you will read thru as many threads as possible , so that you will understand what each different change has done to the other member's guns. They have all spent time changing , and reporting on the effect of EACH different spring changes, and how it affects the stability and the over-all "shootability" of the P-64 Pistol. A lot of research has been done on the subject by the well-experienced members here, and I hope it can help educate you further! Thats why it is here. Good Luck and I am glad you enjoy Your new "Polish pounder" ! Please ask all the questions you have about the CZAK, and post range results and experiences often ! Welcome Again, G
Last edited by garry on April 26th, 2008, 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.