Camo Grips

Info, pictures, advice...
dtoolman

Camo Grips

Post by dtoolman »

Just received and installed the Custom CAMO grips from ZEE and thought you guys would like to see them. 8-)

Last edited by dtoolman on March 29th, 2006, 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tunnelrat

Camo Grips

Post by tunnelrat »

Just received and installed the Custom CAMO grips from ZEE and thought you guys would like to see them. 8-)

I dunno, it's camoflauged... I can hardly see it... ;)
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Camo Grips

Post by abwehr »

Now those are NICE LOOKING grips. I like the camo best of all!
herrmannek

Camo Grips

Post by herrmannek »

It also looks alittle like current polish camo :)
dtoolman

Camo Grips

Post by dtoolman »

It also looks alittle like current polish camo :)
Can you get current polish camo grips ???... would be nice to have original also. 8-)
herrmannek

Camo Grips

Post by herrmannek »

I can't because oryginaly pistols had only black ones, but if zee would use the proper colors and same technique as in those you posted he can make them look like polish uniforms camo pattern...
you can see uniforms on that page:
http://www2.ttcn.ne.jp/~camouflage/unif ... russia.htm
devlinfaust
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Camo Grips

Post by devlinfaust »

Howdy,

I am new to the forum. I read about the P-64 first in Gun Tests and even though they gave it a "don't buy" rating, I was interested, because they said that the reasons were almost impossible trigger pull and bad recoil. However, they also noted that their gun functioned perfectly and was accurate. Sounded good to me. I bought two, when the store owner let me try out the DA pull first (and I didn't need a whole hand to pull the trigger).

However, I haven't found any way to deaden the recoil, other than wearing gloves. I was wondering if these excellent looking grips were made of rubber or polymer or what not and if they help with the recoil of this otherwise excellent weapon?

Thanks
ozarker

Camo Grips

Post by ozarker »

Welcome to our forum.Most disregard the P64 due to its DA. Search the forum and you will find a easy answer to that. Have not heard much on how to tame the recoil. I bought mine for CCW and it is about the smallest weapon with the biggest caliber. Most however don't spend the day at the range with this one. Maybe a Ruger, B92, etc. not the P64. This forum will think you have bought a quality weapon for a small price. Again Welcome.
space
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Camo Grips

Post by space »

I take mine to the range weekly.

almost through my first 1000 rounds of Wolf ammo. I am VERY happy with it.

Almost never use it in DA mode. Cock it with the thumb and fire.

When I first got it, it was nearly impossible to fire it in DA mode. I stuck it in the oven (150 degrees F, take the grips off) to melt all the cosmoline and flushed it out with WD40 while it was still warm. DA mode got a LOT better.
Last edited by space on April 3rd, 2006, 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tunnelrat

Camo Grips

Post by tunnelrat »

However, I haven't found any way to deaden the recoil, other than wearing gloves. I was wondering if these excellent looking grips were made of rubber or polymer or what not and if they help with the recoil of this otherwise excellent weapon?
The terrible, box stock, DA pull can be dealt with quickly and easily. There are several threads that discuss that fix. Further, many of us avoid the DA pull altogether, doing most of our shooting SA by thumb-cocking the hammer first.

Unfortunately the recoil doesn't want to go away. The difficulty really isn't so much a massive recoil -- it's not all that heavy. Rather the problem is that the recoil seems to get channelled down through the trigger guard directly to the fingers. Gloves do indeed offer some measure of help. The fancy grips add a lot to the appearance of the firearm, but do not do much in terms of eliminating recoil (the grips are a kind of hard plastic, rather than a soft rubber).

Also I have learned not to hold the pistol quite so tightly with the off-hand. We are often taught to use a two hand hold, whether Weaver or Isosceles, and to take a death grip on the pistol. Unfortunately, that tends to exacerbate the felt recoil with the P-64. Try to relax your off-hand a bit, and hold a bit away from the trigger guard. You may find that helps tame the sting.

Over time I have become quite used to the feel of my P-64. I even shoot 115 grain Silver Bear from time to time without much discomfort . However, I don't recommend using heavy bullets on a regular basis -- there's no point in beating up the gun (or yourself...) more than necessary. You may find that felt recoil is reduced substantially by using bullets of 95 grains or less.
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Camo Grips

Post by abwehr »

tunnelrat,

Great post! This is good information on taming the recoil.

I don't have large hands, so the P-64 fits me like a "glove". I do hold the grip with a firm hold to prevent "limpwristing", but not a deathgrip. This is a small pistol with a fairly heavy cartridge for its size so it will have recoil and there is nothing much to be done about that. The only other thing I can suggest is putting a piece of inner tube around the grip to provide a little more cushion to the hand. A

Again, great post!
herrmannek

Camo Grips

Post by herrmannek »

Yup tunnelrat, I don't have a Warsaw Pact specification of the 9mm mak, but afaik standard bullet weight was around said 95 grains, so anything heavier or hotter may inflict unplesant sensations or shorter service life of the weapon. This gun was designed with carry comfort and/or minimal size in mind* and quite before the era of dirty harry so it has virtualny no margins current guns have...

*Miliatary or Milice(commie era police) Oficers of the era, rarely if ever used their sidearms anyway...
devlinfaust
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Camo Grips

Post by devlinfaust »

Folks,

Thanks to all of you so much for your advice in this area. I agree that the recoil power seems to 'channel' down to the hand. Most peculiar. I've had some friends shoot both of my P64's, and we all agree it the guns are accurate, reliable and hurts the hand.

My intent was to use the P-64 as a carry gun, and if you are defending yourself, a sting to your hand is a minor inconvenience. I have tried using a hoague slip on. I got an over-sized one and added some crumpled pieces of rubber in the backstrap area, and it helped the recoil a little.

I may still go with these grips, just because they look so great if nothing else. I would say that my DA pull is in the 20 pound range, which is not terribly bad (won't go off accidentally, and a child can't pull it).

My guns were both made in 1968 and I couldn't find any wear on either one whatsoever. Where else can you get a 'brand new' 1968 gun that is concealable, reliable and accurate for about $150 out the door?
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Camo Grips

Post by himmel »

wow--a "don't buy" rating!!! sheesh...Oh well, maybe it will help keep the price down... ;) I had similar experience to space --I just really cleaned the springs well, and felt immediate improvement in the trigger pull. I seem to have a pretty relaxed grip anyway, so the recoil wasn't too bad to me the only time I shot mine--and the DA improved even more with some dry-firing. Odd, I did notice that the trigger seemed to pound my finger, during the dry-fire...
Last edited by himmel on April 4th, 2006, 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
devlinfaust
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Camo Grips

Post by devlinfaust »

Space,

I was wondering, before baking the P-64, do you go any further with dissassembly than taking off the grips, or is that enough? Also, about how long do you leave the P-64 in the oven? Do you let the pistol cool any before applying the WD-40 or do you put it on just after it comes out of the oven? I'll ask one more question, which is do you think that a regular degreaser would work as well or better than the WD-40 in knocking out the cosmaline?

I have cleaned my gun, but got to thinking that your method might get get all the little crud that still may reside in the springs and action that you just sometimes can't get to by a regular cleaning. Your method sounds like a really good idea, not 'half-baked' at all.

Sorry, I couldn't resist the pun.