Camo Grips

Info, pictures, advice...
space
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Camo Grips

Post by space »

Just took off the grips so they don't burn or melt. Everything else is metal so there shouldn't be a problem.

The cosmoline is suppose to melt at 140-150 degrees so don't get it hotter than that.

I just put a towel on a cookie sheet and placed the gun on that. The towel was to catch the dripping cosmoline once it melts. (probably don't have that much left on it so you won't see anything running off it).

I sprayed the WD40 on it when it was still hot. You want to get the cosmoline off when it's still melted. I have read that some people use brake cleaner but make sure you do it in the open and away from any flames etc.. Don't want to blow nothin up.

Look in the small crevices where the springs are. Mine had little pieces of brown crap (cosmoline) sticking everywhere, inside and around the springs.
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Camo Grips

Post by abwehr »

This is a good way to remove the cosmoline, but if you have someone that has an ultrsonic cleaner, this is the best way to go. When I was in manufacturing, my company had a large ultrasonic cleaner, and I could clean a pistol or rifle of all oil, grease, etc. in just a few minutes. Unfortunatly, I don't have that access anymore!
devlinfaust
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Camo Grips

Post by devlinfaust »

Space and Abwehr,

Thanks for the advice. I hadn't thought about an ultrasonic cleaner, but I live in Knoxville, Tennessee and I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't someone around that has one that might be willing to give me access. In the meantime, I'm gonig to try baking my 1968 pistols.

This has got to be the best message board I've ever used. The discussions are upbeat and the information here is very helpful and also very creative.

Thanks again, and I'll let you know how my "p-64 pie" turns out!
devlinfaust
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Camo Grips

Post by devlinfaust »

I thought that I had posted this reply about a week ago, but maybe I just dreamt it. Anyway, I did, indeed, bake the P-64. I sprayed on a degreaser instead of WD-40. Although I had cleaned this gun when I got it, I was really surprised how much stuff came out. I then "washed" it in warm water. dried it and sprayed in some break free. I wouldn't say it was a dramatic diference, but I would guess that the DA pull was down a few pounds. This was really good advice and I will probably use it on other guns as well.

Naturally, after all this hard work, I had to take it out and get it 'dirty' again, and I shot it with holding it less tight and sure enough, the felt recoil was much better. I think I had developed a bad habit of squeezing the grips at the same time I was squeezing (not pulling) the trigger. So not only has this helped with my P-64, but also with my shooting in general.

Thanks a lot for the advice, it has been very helpful.
pirk56

Camo Grips

Post by pirk56 »

hey guys im lookin for a website that i can get some accessories for my P64, i especially like them grips, where did that guy pick them up, thanks guys Pirk
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Camo Grips

Post by papabear »

pirk56, the grips came from one of our members here, Zeeborg, click on members and go to Zeeborg and he has his email addy listed in his profile. He is a really good guy to deal with and will work with you. I have bought 4 sets of CZ52 grips and 6 sets of P-64 grips from him and all fit and looked great.

PapaBear
POINT SHOOTER
pirk56

Camo Grips

Post by pirk56 »

Thanks Papabear
lindsay

Camo Grips

Post by lindsay »

Just received and installed the Custom CAMO grips from ZEE and thought you guys would like to see them. 8-)

[ftp][/ftp] ???
Hi Folks,
I'm new to the forum. Thanks for all the good information that you have posted. I am trying to find some replacement grips and those
camo grips look great. Where can I get a set of those? I also saw some custom made wood grips but can't remember where I saw them. Can I get some help please?" Thanks.
?
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Camo Grips

Post by normsutton »

LINDSAY

GO TO BUY, SELL. TRADE ON THIS FORUM

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage