9x18 Ammo sources

Info, pictures, advice...
b52stan

9x18 Ammo sources

Post by b52stan »

Bzinggg,
Don't want to spoil your 115 Bear party, but if you review old posts, you'll find that it has been the cause of magazine drop, excessive recoil, P-64 damage, jams because of excessive cartridge length, etc, etc, etc. The round was not meant for this diminuitive pistol, which was designed for 90-95 gr loads. But, whatever lights your fire, or buckles your slide.
Stan
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

9x18 Ammo sources

Post by papabear »

bzinggg,
I am certainly no expert on the P-64 pistol, but I do have to agree with b52stan that the 115gr is to heavy a round for the P-64. Most of us when we got our P-64's also obtained the manual for the Polish P-64, either it came with the P-64 or we printed free copies that are still offered here on this site. In the manual, on page 4, listed under: Technical Data of Pistol and Cartridge, it list bullet weight and type as: 71 grain, FMJ. Right now 9x18 ammo is a little hard to get in anything below 100gr, the 71gr is extremely hard to find I am told, the 95gr out there, but getting harder and harder to find at this time. Before I would risk damaging my P-64, much less rattling the bones in my hand, I would wait till I could find some 90-95gr ammo, but to each is own.

Papabear
POINT SHOOTER
bzinggg
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

9x18 Ammo sources

Post by bzinggg »

;D Gee, thanks to you guys for straightening me out on that!

I guess it was just my imagination that my four P-64s eat it like it's going out of style, with absolutely no negative effects after
several hundred rounds. Maybe my springs are extra strong! :o

Of course, to be fair, I should relay the link to this post:

http://p64.proboards67.com/index.cgi?ac ... 1149632963

which, evidently you hadn't seen yet before you decided to impart your
admittedly superior wisdom upon me... ::) :o ::) ;D ;D
(Maximize and scroll to reply #8, if you please, and thank you.)
Last edited by bzinggg on June 22nd, 2006, 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

9x18 Ammo sources

Post by papabear »

bzinggg,

First of all, I didn't claim to be a expert on the P-64, secondly, I said, "to each his own", and lastly, I was just pointing out what the P-64 Manual said. In no way was I trying to in your words, impart my admittedly superior wisdom upon you. I was merely pointing out what the pistol was designed for, nothing more, nothing less, I am sorry you took what I wrote as a slam on your decision to use 115gr ammo. IMHO, b52stan and myself were just trying to be informative, that is what this board is all about, providing info and imparting suggestions, we are not here to decide who is right or wrong, or straightening someone out. The purpose of this board is to provide information and suggestions to be helpful, not critical. I read nearly all the post here on a daily basis, yes I might forget about some from time to time, but I do read them. and I do appreciate it when someone reminds me of a post that I didn't read or had forgotten about. Lastly, I am not here to impress anyone, I'm a member here so I can learn as much as I can about the P-64 and share my experiences about this wonderful little pistol.

PapaBear
POINT SHOOTER
bzinggg
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

9x18 Ammo sources

Post by bzinggg »

No need to be defensive, YOU MAY WELL BE RIGHT!! ;D

I was just joshing you; a little good humored sparring. You'll notice if you'll read my posts, that I just ordered 500 rounds of Wolf 100gr FMJ for the range. :) Considerably lighter and cooler.

I'll probably still carry the Silver Bear 115gr JHP in my pocket gun, but, considering that other shooters might take that as advice, I'm glad you both posted exactly like you did...
tunnelrat

9x18 Ammo sources

Post by tunnelrat »

I guess it was just my imagination that my four P-64s eat it like it's going out of style, with absolutely no negative effects after
several hundred rounds. Maybe my springs are extra strong!
I don't think it was imagination. Rather just the realization that the P-64 is an excellent firearm. I've shot a half a case of the Silver Bear 115 grain through mine with no particular ill effects (except for a noticeable and unpleasant increase in felt recoil). I didn't even need to adjust my magazines. However, I have learned to pay attention when wiser heads than mine urge caution.

I suspect that the concern may be the deleterious effects of long term usage of heavy bullets. Apparently the designers thought the gun should be fed relatively light bullets. Sort of like the S&W J-frame revolvers that can indeed fire .357 magnum ammunition, but the factory recommends .38 Special for extended shooting. It would seem that the P-64 is well able to shoot the heavy bullets, too, but the factory engineers recommend lighter ammo for regular use.

Thus I've switched to 100 grain ammo for practice, and use the 115 grain ammo only when I carrry the P-64 for self-defense.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

9x18 Ammo sources

Post by normsutton »

NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
amd6547

9x18 Ammo sources

Post by amd6547 »

I use Silver Bear 115's for SD carry in both my CZ82 and P64. I have shot at least 50 rounds through each, with no issues whatsoever. Would I shoot hundreds and hundreds of this round? no. But I have shot enough of it to assure that it functions reliably, and will continue to shoot the occaisional mag when I change out old carry ammo for fresh.
"I was so much older than, I'm younger then that now..."
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

9x18 Ammo sources

Post by dfunk »

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Czec ... istol.html

Just got the email today -- ammo from Poland, even.
alfalfajones

9x18 Ammo sources

Post by alfalfajones »

Thanks dickfunk, I just placed an order.
bzinggg
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

9x18 Ammo sources

Post by bzinggg »

Me too!. I noticed that the bullet is non-magnetic. What this means to me is that not only is it safer at the range, it is a softer lead bullet with a copper coating that will deform more easily upon impact, making it a reasonable personal defense round as well. It's brass cased and berdan primed. Probably reloadable with CCI hard primers! All in all, a heck of a good buy. Should be just right for the P-64!
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

9x18 Ammo sources

Post by normsutton »

A9x18M Mesko 9x18 93grn FMJ

Item#A9x18M
Just Received a new shipment of surplus 9x18 Makarov ammunition. Produced in 1992 by the Mesko brand of Poland. Features a (Copper washed steel case,) 93grn FMJ Bullet, Non-Corrosive, and (Berdan Primer.) Uniquely packaged 50rds to a clear hard plastic box.
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
bzinggg
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

9x18 Ammo sources

Post by bzinggg »

My mistake! :-[ ::) :-[

I had gone to the ammo specs list on Makarov.com technical page and read up on Mesko. Then I confused that info with the product for sale at AIM.

From makarov.com:
Mesko 93-gr FMJ (10 rounds tested)

Manufacturer: Mesko - Skarzysko-Kamienna, Poland
Headstamp: Mesko 9x18 Mak
Cartridge Case: Brass case, berdan primed, non-corrosive
Bullet: 92.9-gr (1 measured), copper-coated bullet with concave exposed-lead base
Magnetic: No

OAL (ins)
Range: 0.970 – 0.980
Avg: 0.974

Velocity: (fps)
Range: 934 - 1026
Avg: 975
ES: 92
SD: 31

The ammo at AIM is evidently of a different issue. I wonder what the bullet is like?
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

9x18 Ammo sources

Post by abwehr »

I read this posting this past weekend and I appreciate you guys letting us know about this ammo. I plan to get some ordered today!

Edit - Well guys, I have the ammo on order! I had to re-submit my FFL with Aim as my old one had expired, but it is soooooo easy now with e-mail or faxing a copy. I doubt it will arrive by Friday of this week, so it will be 8 more weeks until I am home again to try out, but waiting sometime is good. Anyone that shoots the stuff from Aim, please post some results of accuracy and how well it works in the P-64!
Last edited by abwehr on July 3rd, 2006, 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

9x18 Ammo sources

Post by papabear »

dickfunk,

Thanks for the FYI one the Polish Mesko 9x18 ammo, received my order this afternoon, good looking ammo. Inside each plastic box is a round tag that reads: SERIEN 2/92 over DATUM IV 92 over 500 500 over SACK.
According to AIM it is 93gr. Three weeks ago I was down to 60 rds, now I have a stash of a little over 2,000 rds, I can breath easy now.

PapaBear
POINT SHOOTER