DA trigger

Info, pictures, advice...
oldtanker

DA trigger

Post by oldtanker »

:D I have just changed the springs to both my P-64's. One I have had since they first were released by SOG about 2 years ago, other just a few months. Both were unfired new. The DA pull was the worst. I was looking for info on them for a long while, and wouldn't fire the first one after just a few mags. The 16 lb. spring is perfect for DA and the rest in SA are just about as light as my SA Ruger in 45, with the wolff springs. I also like the 18 lb. spring and it is just a little bit harder pull in DA. I don't have a CC here in New Mexico, even though it was passed 2/3 years ago. I carry open mainly in the remote border areas when camping or hiking in the canyons. Most everyone carries open out of the larger cities anyway, even in the more populated desert/ forest areas. There are many areas that are so remote and seems like to only ones moving around are running illegals and drugs. Some of the nicest canyons and remote hiking is very near the border and then you need to have at least one armed person in your group, best to have one with a light carbine/scout and other with a heavy sidearm. The Geronimo surrender site is in some beautiful canyons and is great for birding, the area is so overrun that the Forest service and border patrol discourage the recreational use of entire lower half of the Coronado National Forest. The entire SW part of NM is reverting to the way it was 120 years ago.
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

DA trigger

Post by abwehr »

oldtanker,

WELCOME to the P-64 Forum, please come here often to discuss this fine little pistol!

I am glad to hear the Spring change made a big difference for your pistols. Most of the folks here that shoot the P-64 have changed to either the 16# or 18# Wolf Springs. It certainly make a lot of difference.

I have a friend that lives in NM and he has told the same thing you stated about being armed when in the deset/forest areas. He enjoys hunting and shooting so when he goes anywhere, he has at least a handgun with him and usually a rifle too. I was visiting him several years ago and he showed me areas where illegals cross the river often. Thanks for shring this information about NM!
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

DA trigger

Post by himmel »

Hey, is that legal to carry open like that? I understood that's how it was in AZ--carry anything, as long as it's in the open and otherwise legal...Can't do that here, with a couple of ill-defined exceptions that I don't want to test... ;)
tunnelrat

DA trigger

Post by tunnelrat »

Hey, is that legal to carry open like that? I understood that's how it was in AZ--carry anything, as long as it's in the open and otherwise legal...Can't do that here, with a couple of ill-defined exceptions that I don't want to test... ;)
Ohio has open carry -- as long as you don't try to do it! ;)

The state constitution and the law say one thing, but the local police say another...
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

DA trigger

Post by himmel »

Yeah--that sounds like those "ill-defined exceptions" I referenced...I can see where the law here says that a pistol manufactured before 1899 is not a 'firearm"--but I don't think I would have much luck explaining that to the officer who catches me toting one without a carry permit... :P
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

DA trigger

Post by abwehr »

himmel,

Your reply had me rolling on the floor. I had a vision of you standing in front of an officer, stuttering, explaining why you have a black powder revolver tucked in you pants. That was a great comeback!!!! ROFLMAO!
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

DA trigger

Post by normsutton »

I had a friend in Homestead Fl for year's carried a 36 cal 5 shot cap and ball because of that law
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
herrmannek

DA trigger

Post by herrmannek »

I had a friend in Homestead Fl for year's carried a 36 cal 5 shot cap and ball because of that law
Can you ask him about guns reliability? Here in Poland sources in the know, say that its totally unpractical to carry a cap an ball revolver, mainly because of reliability issues, lost caps, humidity, etc etc etc, it would be cool to hear a report from a guy who carried a cap and ball for some time(in Poland, carrying a C&P revolver is semi legal so probably no one will confess to doing that if any)... I'm curious how often he maintained his gun, how many duds he had when trying to shot it, etc things... Maybe you guys know a link to a forum/document addressing this problem..
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

DA trigger

Post by himmel »

hey Abwehr--Your vision is closer to the truth than you might think--We have a lot of Civil War re-enactors hereabouts, we've seen plenty of those cap-and-ball pieces! A family we know has one of the black-powder muzzleloaders ( a handgun, I mean), casts their own bullets, uses it for target shooting--and my sons keep threatening to get one to carry--which gives me visions somewhat equivalent to yours!!! LOL!
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

DA trigger

Post by normsutton »

HERRMANNEK

He told me just as good as other gun loaded right he would fire it evey week end and or clean it and reload it , I never saw him with a miss fire when we went shooting , he only had to pull it one time and the guy back down ( I put that to nobody whants to be shot by any
thing)

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage