The many looks of my P64s

Info, pictures, advice...
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by himmel »

Hey warthog--Is the chrome more durable in the sense that it is more scratch/wear resistant than the blued steel? If that's the case, maybe I'll have the slide on my Mak chromed--There's a guy around here somewhere that does it, saw his advert at a vintage-car place...The Mak started out fairly pristine, but just a few weeks in the glove box of the pickup seem to have left their marks on it... :(
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by abwehr »

himmel,

Chrome will be a very durable surface treatment IF it is applied correctly. Chrome is also very hard which gives a good scratch/wear resistance surface. If the base metal is not cleaned properly prior to application, you will see the chrome begin to "chip" off in a few years. Most folks that do this as a business, like the vintage car guy, will give you a good job. Auto Chrome bumpers must be polished to get the high "shine" on the bumper. If you want a "matt" finish, he should be able to accomodate you. If you like chrome, it is a good finish.

As to the process for bumpers and the high shine they get, they polish the metal good, but there are still small imperfections in the steel surface. To make the usrface smooth, they apply a nickle plate and the nickle "fills" in these imperfections and then they plate the chrome to get the high shine final finish. A firearm can be anywhere from matt to high shine.
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by himmel »

Thanks, Abwehr! I just thought, they line the barrels of shotguns with chrome these days so they can use steel shot for waterfowl without scratching up the barrel--so it WOULD be a harder surface than the barrel steel I reckon...Come to think of it--aren't the CZAK barrels chrome lined? Or is it the maks... hmmmm.....Anyway, I may consider having the slide on the Mak chromed at some point--I might get to like that two-toned look...and #2 son is making some walnut grips for the Mak.... :)
space
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by space »

P64 barrels are chromed already...