Big Gun-buying trend in Big Easy

Info, pictures, advice...
daysleeper

Post by daysleeper »

Just watched a local news special regarding the purchase of guns down here in the affected parishes in the wake of Katrina. They did a poll and found that 43% of respondents purchased a gun since the hurricane, and another 18% said they intended to get one. And you have to believe that a portion of the non-buyers allready have one, so the number of gun owners down here is pretty impressive.

They interviewed a local gun club owner and he said he couldn't keep anything in stock and that he ended up selling his collection. The good news is that the majority of purchasers are also taking the ccw course, which apparently is bad news to the police chief because he said he would rather not have people carrying guns on the street. He also said that the ability to carry concealed with a license is a matter of interpretation, which surprised me a little. The crimestoppers lady was just the opposite, "if you feel the need for a gun go get one and please get training." She also mentioned that over 600 guns were looted from stores and she was surprised that not a single one has turned up at a crime scene.

I can fully understand the gun rush down here because I bought my first gun (my p-64) as a direct result of the conditions after the storm, with reduced police visibility and massive numbers of migrant workers in town and even on my block, but I was still a little surprised at the numbers.
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by himmel »

Odd thing, the three gun shops I frequent here have been doing land-office business lately too--and another odd thing, I bought my second "carry gun" because of the aftermath of Katrina too--so the wife would have one available to her when she's off visiting her folks...
daysleeper

Post by daysleeper »

You're not alone. That shop owner said that a lot of couples were buying and training together. I guess it beats going to the movies.
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by himmel »

Well, I'd probably agree with you there... :)
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

Same thing here in W. KY, my local gun store according to the owner is having record sales in both hand guns and shotguns and according to the two folks that do the local CCW classes, their classes are double now from 6 months ago.

Hey, my wife didn't use to care to much for guns, she thought I was crazy for having a gun collection and going so often to the indoor and outdoor range's to shoot and going to all the gun shows. Now, she is interested in learning to shoot and even wants a gun of her own. I've been a good boy, so I'm pretty sure it's for the bad boys out there, before you ask!!! We be tight, for the first time ever a couple years ago she went with me and helped me with my tables at a show, actually stayed the whole two days, set up and take down, and she told me later that she understood now why I collected and enjoyed the shows so much; buying, selling and trading and getting to talk to all those people, "saw the twinkle in my eyes", she said. Long story short, she be happy I'm happy, and let me tell you, if the wife ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!!!
POINT SHOOTER
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by abwehr »

My wife does not dislike guns, but she says she does not understand the collecting part. I told her I like them, like to shoot, and they don't lose value if you make decent buys. She is great with my addiction, and said as long as I have the money, buy ALL I want. Can't get much better, Huh?
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by himmel »

I wonder if all these new gun-buyers know something we don't???
steve98664

Post by steve98664 »

I believe the circumstances you mention are EXACTLY why the right to bear arms is a constitutional right. I have been training myself, then my girlfriend on firearm usage. Safety and funtionality come 1st.

We live in an organized, safe world most of the time here in the US. The police or other help are minutes away most of the time. There are times when it all breaks down and it is just you.... Better to be prepared.
royke

Post by royke »

"Most of the time, " being the operative term........I didn't buy any guns because of the disaster but I already owned well over my body weight in firearms and I am neither small nor skinny......
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by himmel »

Even in this small town, where a traffic stop will draw two or three police cars, we have our share of those stories where the guy calls the police about a prowler, waits (im)patiently for 20 minutes or so, then calls back and says "Never mind, I got my gun and took care of it myself"...whereupon the cops arrive almost immediately... even my wife, who does NOT like guns, is starting to ask about one for herself...
mongo

Post by mongo »

People have finally woke up and realized with NOLA and the recent Supreme Court decisions affirming that LE has no "individual" responsibility to protect you that you are on your own when SHTF be it hurricane, terrorism, tornado or other.