OT - Other Pistols

Info, pictures, advice...
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

OT - Other Pistols

Post by abwehr »

Hey Guys,

This is a little off topic from the P-64, but what are other pistols that you REALLY like to shoot or collect?

Back several years ago, I was big into collecting Lugers and P.38 pistols. Do any of you guys have these pistols? Man, the price of these have really shot up in the past couple of years and the ones I need for my collection are almost out of reach price wise. I was thinking how many P-64 pistols I could buy for one Luger purchase, LOL!
dtoolman

OT - Other Pistols

Post by dtoolman »

I don't want to make you :'( but I do have a one of a kind Luger. It is a 1900 .30 cal 100% matching DWM in 98%+ condition. It was obtained in Cuba back in 1902 when turned in to the Provo Marshal, Captain J. C. Breckenridge and then given to Robert E. Lee's Nephew a few years later.
All of this and more I have documented all the way to me. I even have his signed holster. ;D
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

OT - Other Pistols

Post by abwehr »

dtoolman,

Thanks for the information on your Luger! WOW, when you have history on a rare piece like that, it is for sure a keepsake. You are now making me salivate, LOL!
amd6547

OT - Other Pistols

Post by amd6547 »

I recently bought one of the surplus P1's that are around to satisfy a lifelong desire for a P38. Can't wait to get it to the range.
"I was so much older than, I'm younger then that now..."
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

OT - Other Pistols

Post by himmel »

can't match toolman's experience--but I did have my hands on a 1918 Artillery-model Luger once--Had a 1916 black holster, wooden shoulder stock, mag pouches, cleaning rod, and a couple of extra ( modern) mags--the mag in the well had the old wooden button even. The holster was on a shoulder strap. Got it at the local gun shop here for about $950, but I was buying it for my father-in-law--he reimbursed me the cost, but he said if i wanted to keep it just send the check back to him... I didn't, unfortunately, and he auctioned it off.... :( !
dtoolman

OT - Other Pistols

Post by dtoolman »

I have one other piece of history. I have done a lot of work for a retired WWII General who's Division landed in Nagasaki a few days after " The Nuclear Weapon" (his words) was dropped. His mission was to disarm the Japanese (not hard at all as he tells it). He had meetings with the Chief of Police who turned over his side arm and holster to him. He kept it in the holster until he discovered that I collect guns and he sold it to me. The gun is a Type 14 Nambu. He even gave me a shoe box (more than half full) of unopened and loose 8mm ammo. I shot a few rounds before I discovered how much the ammo was worth. :'(l I still have a couple of boxes left but sold the others. Another nice piece of history with documentation.
warthog

OT - Other Pistols

Post by warthog »

I collect Spanish Pistols myself. Rarest one I have is a Jo Lo Ar.
k98k792

OT - Other Pistols

Post by k98k792 »

I got to see Wartys Jo Lar Ar. A very unique piece! I don't collect any specific pistols. I have a few Maks,I like those very much. my favorite hand gun is my Smith N frame in 357.
Last edited by k98k792 on March 13th, 2006, 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
nimble1

OT - Other Pistols

Post by nimble1 »

Pistols..Wow!! I have a few, maybe 15 or so . A shooter luger,cyq P38, Rossi 357,various 22's. I do have a very nice Astra M600 in absolutley pristine condition...picked it up over 30 years ago from guy who was importing them...think I paid $30.00 for it with 2 clips & holster!
Those were the days..
This is my favorite 9 m/m. Kinda unusal. A non-import marked Benelli B-76, Fixed barrel and strange locking system Barrel and internal parts are hard chromed. A real tack driver.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

OT - Other Pistols

Post by papabear »

I have to many favorites,

Favorite truck handgun: S&W M13-3 3" bbl .357
Favorite car handgun: S&W M64-7 3" bbl .38+P
Favorite home handgun:
bed side: P64 (1976)
office: Colt 70 series .45
Favorite CCW handgun: P64 (1969)
Favorite collection handguns:
(1) 1943 Remington Rand
(2) 1942 S&W Victory Model
(3) Webley MKVI .455

The list goes on and on ;D
POINT SHOOTER
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

OT - Other Pistols

Post by abwehr »

I knew all you guys had some other really "NEAT" handguns. Glad to see what you guys have.

Edit - Had to cut this one short and come back from an interuption for business, LOL. Yea, handguns were my primary collecting until I got involved with long guns again. I guess I just love all firearms and the P-64 just hit s soft spot with me!!!
Last edited by abwehr on March 13th, 2006, 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

OT - Other Pistols

Post by himmel »

ya'll know what I really like to shoot?? Don't laugh--it's my brother's Heritage Arms Rough Rider Colt SAA repro, .22 cal--also .22mag. I put the shots just where I want to with that thing, better than anything I've ever shot...
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

OT - Other Pistols

Post by abwehr »

himmel,

I may be able to you one better..... I have a Marlin Glenfield my dad bought in the Early 1970s at K-Mart and paid $49.95 for the rifle with the scope. This is one of the most fun and Accurate rifles I have ever shot. It is a tackdriver! I replaced the 4x scope with a Bushnell .22 variable power scope and it just makes shooting a joy! Some of these lower end firearms were great at one time. Now, you pay 2-3 times that much for a reasonably close firearm and the finish is bad, action rough, does not shoot well, but we all put up with the lowering of quality standards.

The Winchester Mod 70 was not a bad rifle as far as quality was concerned, but now they are out of business with this great rifle.
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

OT - Other Pistols

Post by himmel »

Well I got a better one than that I guess--I bought a Savage single-shot .22 at a yard sale, $50, the kind that you have to pull the cocking knob back after you work the bolt..I gave it to my other son (the one that doesn't make grips--yet! LOL! ) and have been trying to get it back from him ever sice--I love that little gun! but out of my handguns, I guess I like shooting my Mak the best--it's the easist to operate, the safest, and the most powerful that I have--but for reasons 1 and 2, it stays in the truck where my wife can use it if she needs to, while i carry my Zastava 70...
Last edited by himmel on March 13th, 2006, 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

OT - Other Pistols

Post by himmel »

BTW Warthog--I noticed our favorite gunshop here has a whole bunch of boxes of 9mm Largo on the shelf--and not a gun in town that's chambered for it, that I know of... LOL! do you collect those Eibar-manufactured guns??? The ones that copied everything in sight between the turn of the century and the Spanish Civil War???