OT - Other Pistols

Info, pictures, advice...
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

OT - Other Pistols

Post by abwehr »

himmel,

OK, here is another good one. I have a stainless steel Taurus in .44 Special that is in my nightstand and it has the sweetest trigger pull I have ever felt, and with the large grips, it is an absolute pleasure to shoot. I have never had a Colt or S&W with this great of a trigger pull.
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

OT - Other Pistols

Post by himmel »

LOL! I'll have to bring my dad in on this one--he just bought a Rossi .38--put it on layaway, actually, but I've been singing the praises of the Brazilian makes to him--and sure enough, my brother just got his Taurus PT99 out of layaway, and my dad, Mr "Revolvers are the only truly reliable handguns", aka Mr "What good is 9mm compared to .45 Colt", has been pestering bro to sell the Taurus to him ever since he shot it last Sunday!! LOL!
simonovkitty

OT - Other Pistols

Post by simonovkitty »

I mostly collect whatever I can get my hands on. ;)
Sig 228s are my current favorite in the autopistols, and I'm rather fond of the older snubbie S&W model 10 that I picked up in January. My P64 is the first military handgun I've bought.

One of my friends has a fair number of unusual pistols--most of which I cannot spell the name to. One of the more interesting pistols he's got is a "Frommer."
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

OT - Other Pistols

Post by himmel »

So tell us about the Frommer! as I understand it, "Frommer" is the name of the man who designed pistols for FEG in the first half of the last century...
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

OT - Other Pistols

Post by abwehr »

The Frommer pistols are very well made firearms. Some of the earlier ones are a bit on the "antique" side now, but the later designs are EXCELLENT and well made pistols!

OK "himmel", another good one for you. Two Christmases ago, my son said he wanted a pistol for the nightstand. Since he is not a "gun nut" like me, but wanted a low price handgun that would stop someone in the house if needed. I told him he needed a revolver, stainless steel and .44 Special caliber. I found him a used Rossi, 4" barrel in SS. I know Rossi is classed in the lower realm of revolvers, but this is another Brazilian masterpiece. The finish on the Rossi is great, the lockup is perfect, and the trigger pull is again as good as my Taurus! We went shooting shortly after Christmas and he loved it. I got him a box of low price lead cartridges for casual shooting, and some hot hollow points for house use in an emergency. This is almost comical about us liking these pistols!

Hopefully to day, I can get the time to post a stroy about a WWII Frommer pistol. This is a great history on the pistol.......back ASAP
simonovkitty

OT - Other Pistols

Post by simonovkitty »

So tell us about the Frommer! as I understand it, "Frommer" is the name of the man who designed pistols for FEG in the first half of the last century...
I think that sounds about right, especially given my friend's love for Hungarian weapons.

Well, it's a rather odd looking pistol that can be cocked by pulling a part that resembles more of a cocking piece instead of a hammer. The top two results in google for "frommer pistol" have some pictures.

It's rather pleasant to shoot, low recoil, etc. According to Cartridges of the World the 7.65 Roth-Sauer ammo has been obsolete since 1930, but I believe I heard my friend's father mention something about modifying .30 Carbine brass with some luck (occasional hang-up and that's about it).
Last edited by simonovkitty on March 14th, 2006, 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

OT - Other Pistols

Post by himmel »

Can't wait Abwehr! and Simonov--thanks for the info, I'll have a look in my gun books...
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

OT - Other Pistols

Post by himmel »

Can't go to the frommer sites now--i'm on a "politically correct" PC, the firearms sites are all filtered out--except the occasional one, like this, that the filters miss... :D !
warthog

OT - Other Pistols

Post by warthog »

BTW Warthog--I noticed our favorite gunshop here has a whole bunch of boxes of 9mm Largo on the shelf--and not a gun in town that's chambered for it, that I know of... LOL! do you collect those Eibar-manufactured guns??? The ones that copied everything in sight between the turn of the century and the Spanish Civil War???
I collect all the Spaniards. Even, maybe especially, those copied from other guns. While the Spanish portion of my collection is small, it is the one dear to me. I have a crapload of handguns, maybe 100 or so. Only about 10 are Spanish though.
warthog

OT - Other Pistols

Post by warthog »

clickable thumb. Sorry its a crappy picture but it is the coolest pistol I have.

This is an old Calvalry pistol form the days of the horse.
The bar that hangs down from the front is a charging handle. This way you can chamber and cock the pistol with one hand.
That was inportant when you were riding. It also has one of the first ever tip up barrels.
You could therefore ready the pistol to fire two ways, either tipping the barrel and inserting a round or by squeezing the charging handle(which swings up and out of the way for firing.)
8 round magazne. 9 mm Largo caliber.
I like the finger grooved bakelite grips myself. :)
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

OT - Other Pistols

Post by papabear »

Hey warthog, that is "SWEET" :) what caliber is it?
POINT SHOOTER
warthog

OT - Other Pistols

Post by warthog »

8 round magazne. 9 mm Largo caliber.
Thanks. I have wanted one of these for a long, long time. :)
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

OT - Other Pistols

Post by papabear »

I don't know much about the Spanish pistols, only had one, a Astra 1921 (Model 400 ?) 9x23 Largo I think, I sold it at a show in Florida early last year. Is the 9x23 the same round as the 9mm Largo, they are interesting pistols.

POINT SHOOTER
warthog

OT - Other Pistols

Post by warthog »

Actually, the 9x23 Largo/Bergman(sp?) are different than the 9x23 winchester and you should not confuse them.
Ask for Largo and you will get what you are wanting. Thwe Winchester will blow these old guns to bits.

Too bad you sold it already, I love those. That is the look for me. Dunno why...
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

OT - Other Pistols

Post by papabear »

Thanks for the info on the 9x23, I will keep that in mind. Actually I bought the Astra 1921 from a friend that need the money and about a year later I asked him if he wanted it back; but he said no. The only reason I sold it, (same ole story) I was wanting to buy something else. Yeah I wish now I had kept it, now many times have I said that, but at the time it seemed the right thing to do. I understand about the "look"!!!
POINT SHOOTER