disassembly problems...

Info, pictures, advice...
mightymilhouse

disassembly problems...

Post by mightymilhouse »

I recently purchased two P64's from SOG. One of them breaks down as advertised and with no problems. The second pistol on the other hand, was virtually impossible to break down. I tried for over an hour to get the slide off. Finally a friend got it off after about 15 minutes of trying himself. We were both perplexed as to why it was so difficult. Then when we tried to re-asseemble the pistol, it just doesn't fit and won't go back together. It feels like the rails just won't line up or something is blocking them.

Does anyone have any ideas? I am planning on doing an exchange with SOG, but wanted to see if anyone had any quick fixes.
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

disassembly problems...

Post by abwehr »

One of my P-64s is a little tough to remove the slide too, but not as bad as yours. When I pull the slide back to remove, I have to pull back hard, and then raise the rear as soon as it is fully back. Re-installing the slide is the same way, pull the slide back as far as possible and hold TIGHT when I get ready to drop the rear of the slide onto the frame.

If yours is that difficult, the slot area in your pistol may be on the high end of the tolerance and just enough to make removal difficult, and installation almost inmpossible.

Good posting, and I hope we get some good answers........it could happen on another pistol???
dtoolman

disassembly problems...

Post by dtoolman »

Lets see if I can explain the slide removal correctly. Make sure gun is unloaded. Remove Magazine.
Place safety in fire position. Lower trigger guard and push to left side of frame to hold guard open.
Hold pistol in right hand (as in shooting) pointing straight away from you (not crossways of the body) and place right index finger against trigger grard up by the frame to keep the trigger guard from slipping back into frame. Grab slide with left hand. Now push forward with your right hand while pulling backward and upward on the slide. This method applys more force with less effort than trying to push with both hands across the body..ie: right hand pushing left while left hand pushing right. Try this method and even the most stubborn slide will remove easely.
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

disassembly problems...

Post by dfunk »

Make sure all the grooves and rails line up perfect - especially under the barrel.
Last edited by dfunk on March 10th, 2006, 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.