Testing a new load

Info, pictures, advice...
tunnelrat

Testing a new load

Post by tunnelrat »

I tested some new ammunition today, using my P-64 as the test gun.

The new rounds consisted of 95 grain Hornady JHPs over 4.0gr alliant bullseye. I am not a reloader, so I am taking my alchemist at his word on this part.

I shot up several magazines of 100 grain Wolf ammo first, in order to have something against which to measure my subjective experience of the new load.

The recoil was noticeable, but not difficult to handle. [I've never considered any 95 grain round I've fired so far to have a lot of recoil in the P-64; it's just that the shock comes straight through the trigger and the trigger guard]. If anything, I thought the recoil of the 95g reloads was a bit more pleasant than that of the 100g Wolf (I would rather have used 95 grain ammo as my control, but I didn't happen to have any on hand).

The muzzle flash was bright and very apparent, even though I was shooting indoors with the lights on. Perhaps the slow burning powder hadn't finished its job by the time the bullet left the short barrel. I don't know that it would be a problem, but it was very much brighter than the control ammo.

The muzzle report was clearly louder than the Wolf ammo I had been firing beforehand. It was like switching to a .45 after shooting 9mm's.

My target was a standard sized 9" paper plate at 7 yards (I use my P-64 as a self-defense, carry weapon, rather than as a target pistol -- thus the short range and the chest-size target). The ammo was very controllable and grouped more tightly than the Wolf ammo.

This stuff has a measured muzzle velocity of 1,000 fps. That is quite a bit snappier than the standard factory Hornady load. Factory 95g Hornadys run about 950 fps.

I'm may want to consider using some of this new load as my carry ammo.
warthog

Testing a new load

Post by warthog »

I need to get some dies and try that. Especially as I am moving to IN and will be able to carry there.
kempin

Testing a new load

Post by kempin »

Tunnelrat,

Thanks for sharing your load data/range report. I am hoping to gather as much loading info as I can for the p-64.

Sounds like a pretty hot load, though. According to the alliant website, 3.6 grains of bullseye is max load and creates a chamber pressure of 21,200. I don't know how much the chamber pressure is increasing with that extra half grain of powder, and as a reloader I generally don't like to explore the unknown. I wouldn't worry about firing the occasional clip of it, but it is definitely on the red line and more than the gun was designed for, as evidenced by the extra loud report and muzzle blast. Just my opinion, I know, but if you really want the increased power, go with a 9m luger that has a locked breech and can handle the extra pressure. I certainly wouldn't go any hotter than that.

As far as using the load for carry, some of you guys might want to jump in. I was advised in my cc class not to carry handloaded ammo because of lawyers. If you do end up using your pistol in defense (God forbid), then a lawyer will make the case that you concocted "special extra lethal ammo" and were looking for a chance to use it. Ridiculous, I know, but also very believable with the courts being what they are today. Do any of you use handloads for carry?

Thanks for the post. God bless and straight shooting,

-Kempin

Btw, what do you think of those Hornady bullets? I have recovered them at the range expanded to the size of a quarter! The guys at Hornady seem to knw their job.
mikethewreck

Testing a new load

Post by mikethewreck »

I've heard the same advice.
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Testing a new load

Post by himmel »

me too--Also heard that it really does make a difference if the firearm you use is "politically correct"--that is, a jury is more sympathetic to someone who shoots a burglar with an H&R Pardner single shot or a Marlin "goose gun" than to someone who shoots a burglar with a Bushmaster.. having some little experience with jurors, I would not be at all surprised...
talon

Testing a new load

Post by talon »

Hello All,

Here read this, toward the bottom. Jim Wilson does some research on the "Handload" issue..

[/url [url]http://www.galleryofguns.com/shootingti ... sp?ID=4837

FWIW

Peace
Tal~ 8-)
warthog

Testing a new load

Post by warthog »

Makes sense kempin. Sounds like good advice to me. :)