another P-64 success story!

Info, pictures, advice...
jerry426

Post by jerry426 »

While wandering around at gun show on Sunday, I found a gentleman selling excellent condition P-64s, Hungarian PA-63s, and Walther P-1s for reasonable prices. I couldn't resist the P-64, even though I knew very little about it. I fired up the web browser on my cell phone and was able to research that the $149 selling price was fair enough....so I picked one up.

This evening, a friend and I went to an indoor range after work where I had 3 new pistols to try out. Bersa Thunder 40 and Thunder 9 (both of which worked perfectly and every bit as accurate as my Sig pistols) and the little P-64. I let my friend test drive the P-64 first. Round number one was dead center bullseye at 8 yards. That first 6 round group was maybe 1 inch. All subsequent groups were similar except for the flyers I know I caused. After 60 rounds, I concluded that I should have gone with my gut instinct and purchased several more of these little P-64s.

I was firing Brown Bear ammo which worked well. Zero malfunctions and very accurate. I will definitely add at least 3 more of these to the collection soon.
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by abwehr »

jerry426,

Welcome to the P-64 Forum! Glad to hear you had a good experience with the pistol. I think most folks that try one do like it. Of course, it does have its limitations, as with any firearm, but I think they are fun!

I have a gun show this weekend and will be on the lookout for another one myself. So far, I have two and the third will be gotten as soon as I find the right one. By the way, the price you paid is very good! I now see them in the $160-225 range.
doug68

Post by doug68 »

Yea. The price seems to be creeping up in some gun shops I visit.

I firmly believe even with my limited experience with this little gun, that it is undervalued.

In my opinion if this was a new commercial offering by a reputable manufacturer then it would sell for at least $225-$300 range (considering the DA pull was lighter which is fixable) and probably the reason it sells for what it does now.
onapar

Post by onapar »

The p-64 is one of the best values out there, a simple spring change makes it a real pleasure to shoot.
jerry426

Post by jerry426 »

Yesterday I purchased the Galco "UDC" PPK holster for my P-64. Today, I purchased several types of JHP and FMJ 9x18 ammo. Tomorrow, the P-64 and many other friends from the safe will be out at the range.

I also painstakingly applied orange flourescent paint to the rear sight + yellow flourescent to the rear of the front sight blade. This seems like it will help me a lot with faster sight/target alignment. The end result looks great.

Last, I have carefully trimmed the mainspring down to the point where DA trigger pull is tolerable. I don't expect to have any light primer strikes.

The way my wife is eyeballing the P-64, I think I'll need another very soon.
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by abwehr »

jerry426,

Since your wife is "eyeballing' the P-64 already, don't wait for her to say she wants one, go ahead and buy a couple more anyway, LOL, LOL!

I don't know why I got so interested in the P-64, but the first one I touched, I had to have it and it just infected me! I have always thought Polish firearms were great, but the little P-64 is great.