Your first P-64, when?

Info, pictures, advice...
jbailey

Your first P-64, when?

Post by jbailey »

When I could not remember (a common problem at my age) how I worked over my P-64, (in order to answer some of your questions), I went back to my log to see when I first got it. July 24, 2004. Saw it, bought it! How about the rest of you 'old-timers'? When did you first see one? Buy the first one? Just curious.... - John
autom8r

Your first P-64, when?

Post by autom8r »

John,

I got my first couple of them about a year after you did. I had been seeing them in flyers for several months before that. I was wondering when they first started rolling over here. Sold my last one a few weeks ago and plan to get a couple more tomorrow.

Dave
jbailey

Your first P-64, when?

Post by jbailey »

Dave - I can't believe it's been a year and a half plus, where does the time go? Sounds like you're a 'frequent user'? I can't let myself get two of anything, unless it's the 'same' gun in a different caliber (CZ -52s, AMT Backups, little Sterlings, etc), the safe won't close now!

Used to do "Nashburg" several times/yr, when my wife was in the CM biz (wrote for Cedarwood) and really enjoyed the town. Alas, she's no longer writing and all too many of her friends/contacts there have moved on, some to permanent "day jobs" and some to the hereafter.

Nice car! Used to hang with a buddy who had similar (in the FIFTIES!)
autom8r

Your first P-64, when?

Post by autom8r »

John,

I'm a small-time FFL on the side and whenever I see something cool I get a couple of them. Usually if I dig it, someone else I know will want one too. It's nice to have a bunch of well armed friends.

Nashville is hoppin' more than ever, but I'm a '43 model and kinda burned out on the beer joints. I'm sure you understand after being close to the "biz" for a while.

The ride is the 1938 Pontiac that brought me home from the hospital when I was born, Dad bought it in '41. Nice little rod project that goes on forever with a built L-82 'Vette powerplant. I'll probably die with it or in it. I still think it is the sharpest classic Poncho GM ever built. I got my DL in it in '59. My addiction to rods equals or surpasses the gun addiction.

I think the little P-64 Radoms will soon get the respect they deserve, fine European quality at a bargain price, just like the first East German Maks that hit in the late 80s. The CZ 50 and CZ 70s are equally cool in .32 acp.

Dave
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Your first P-64, when?

Post by abwehr »

I have had my first P-64 since Oct-Nov 2005, so I am a "newbie" with the pistol, LOL. I had seen them advertised for some time as a "Polish Makarov" and said I did not need anymore Makarovs, so I never looked into them. One afternoon, I stopped by my local gun shop and they had one in the counter. I handled if for a few minutes, it felt goooooood in my hand and I bought it. I have never regretted buying this pistol!

After I got home with it, I started looking ofr info on the internet. I found a lot of threads on Gunboards Makarov Forum and some of the stuff I read almost made me take it back to the gun shop. I sure am glad I believed the moderate Makarov guys on the Forum and kept it. Shortly thereafter, "dickfunk" started this great Forum! At least here we can discuss the pistol and obtain good information!
Last edited by abwehr on February 22nd, 2006, 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jbailey

Your first P-64, when?

Post by jbailey »

Abwehr - Yeah, when I first saw one and asked what it was (I own a Mak), gunshow tablemaster said "It's a Makarov" Spent a few minutes making sure they knew it wasn't a Mak, which was probably overkill, since I took it away from them on the spot. Same people have had more of same at shows since then.
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Your first P-64, when?

Post by abwehr »

Yea, I am like the Makarov guys, the P-64 is NOT a Makarov, but I acknowledge that it shoots the same round and some confusion can exist. This still does not excuse the "bashing" the P-64 took from the Mak lovers. We are all gun folks, and should not "bash" another firearm unless it is totaly junk. But even junk firearms like the German RG has a small following. We need to stay united, but have our opinions.
warthog

Your first P-64, when?

Post by warthog »

I got my first pair in the first shipment from AIM.
The third one was bought through a private sale.
I need the "oldest" version to complete my set of three though.
That means at least one more. :)
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Your first P-64, when?

Post by papabear »

Hey guys, I got my first P-64 at a gun show in FL. Nov 2004 (1969) Everyone was calling it a Makarov then, and I guess they still are. Got my second one (1976) at my local dealer here in Ky Oct 2005 and as of today, got my third (1968) from a guy on Gunboards, where some of the Mak guys were bashing the P-64. Only reason I can remember the dates is I wrote down the dates in my inventory. With the price starting to go up on them I thought I better get another one, hey for $150 shipped I couldn't say no. Hey Autom8r, we not to far apart, if you are in Springfield, you are only about a hour and a half away. I am out of Madisonville, Ky, about 38 miles north of Hopkinsville. So "hey" neighbor! I have some friends that live in Goodlettsville and Hendersonville.
POINT SHOOTER
fjblackesq

Your first P-64, when?

Post by fjblackesq »

Got my first CZAK about two (2) years ago. I had been in Radom Poland several times over the years and became aware of the factoryand a little about it's history. . Then when I saw an ad in Shotgun News , I ordered three (3) of them. One for my self and one each for my two sons. I am also into MAKAROKVs and I took the slurs and BS from the MAKROVNIKS, which made me even more a confirmed CZAKnik!!! This forum came along and has been a joy and rewarding experience.
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Your first P-64, when?

Post by abwehr »

You know, I just cannot understand why the Mak guys want to "bash" the P-64! Yes, it has a couple of things that even we don't like, but they can be fixed quickly with a new spring. I find it very "ungentlemanly" to constantly "bash" other weapons. If I don't like it, thats fine, and I can post why I don't like it, but I am NOT going to tell everyone that it is junk because I don't like it. We all have our different tastes, and one of mine is I LIKE the P-64!!!
onapar

Your first P-64, when?

Post by onapar »

I bought my Makarov first did all the mods I could and really like the gun a lot.
I then bought my P-64 and have done all the springs it is really a fine accurate and totally dependable gun.
My last 9x18 is the PA-63 I have done the springs on this one and really like it also. I have a total of 12 hand guns and work at the range here in Tucson as a line safety officer. When ever I go to the range my p-64 goes along. :D
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Your first P-64, when?

Post by himmel »

You know, I just cannot understand why the Mak guys want to "bash" the P-64! Yes, it has a couple of things that even we don't like, but they can be fixed quickly with a new spring. I find it very "ungentlemanly" to constantly "bash" other weapons. If I don't like it, thats fine, and I can post why I don't like it, but I am NOT going to tell everyone that it is junk because I don't like it. We all have our different tastes, and one of mine is I LIKE the P-64!!!
Hey, ALL the Mak guys don't bash the CZAKS!! I love my Mak, but I'm glad i got a CZAK too--can't wait to try it out, if it is reliable I'll have a devil of a time deciding what to do --I like my Zastava too!
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Your first P-64, when?

Post by abwehr »

himmer,

You are right, there are a lot of the Mak guys that don't "bash" the P-64, I guess the few that really "bash" it seem to stand out more to me! Thanks for pointing that fact out.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Your first P-64, when?

Post by papabear »

I second abwehr statement, I have been on gunboards for nearly three years, that is how I found out about this P-64 site. Most of the folks there honest informative and in my case very helpfull. It seems it's always a few bad apples that make the rest look bad. I still enjoy Gunboards and go there often, ie., just bought another P-64 off there this week, and I have bought and sold many military surplus item's and never had a problem. The short time I have been a member here I really appreciate the information, advice, helpful assistance, and last but not least, the attitude of ease and humor that the members express their thoughts. At almost 62, I have finally become a little milder and a little wiser, and just try to live and let live. I'm no different than many on this board and the gunboards, I fought for this country and still believe that a person as a right to say what they feel, I just don't have to like it, so I just agree to disagree and go on. I do hope that the moderators here won't allow such bad taste and keep this site as it was intended, a good place to come for information, help and friendship.

Take Care,

PapaBear
POINT SHOOTER