Good Range Day

Info, pictures, advice...
steve98664

Good Range Day

Post by steve98664 »

I had a great range day with my P-64! I feel like using the right ammo and the right lube made things go smooth. I am staying away from Wolf for now. I ran through many rounds of RAM FMJ (barnaul silver coat) and S&B FMJ. S&B is my favorite, since it is not too hot, but I can really hit the mark with it. RAM FMJ never jams but is a bit hotter. Dry lube seems to be the best with PTFE. I'm no sales guy....but there are a lot of brands out there with this stuff that are dry.

Anybody have a good HP round they are using that is widely available and not too pricey? I have some Spear JHP 90 grain on order that I'm hoping will feed well. Kinda pricey..... I know P-64s are made for FMJ.

Anybody know why S&B has the gold coating on the bullet portion of the rounds? I noticed that gold (brass?) particulate build up in the receiver area and on my followers. It looks very superficial, but any metallic particulate that sheds doesn't seem optimal. I still think S&B is the best I've tried so far.
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Good Range Day

Post by abwehr »

Glad to hear everything turned out well at the range! All my 9mm Mak ammo is Wolf and so far, I have not had any problems with it. I also like most S&B ammo as it is reasonably priced, good quality, and they have a good selection of calibers. Most shooting I am doing with S&B is the .223 in my AR15.

In some previous postings, the Hornady 9mm Mak with a hollow point that was available, has been discontinued and is a "catch as catch can" at gun shops. I have never purchased any hollow point in the 9mm Mak and can't help with what is available. Feeding hollow points from a military pistol is 50-50; some will, some won't, but it appears the P-64 is one that feeds them reasonably well. I have never understood why one pistol will accept hollow points, and another identical pistol will not feed them at all??????
Last edited by abwehr on February 21st, 2006, 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
jbailey

Good Range Day

Post by jbailey »

Take the slide off your P-64 or your Mak, put a loaded mag in, and notice how the top round is just a little below "co-axial" with the chamber. Compare this with a few others and you'll notice that the top round is further down and the feed ramp is much steeper. My Mak will usually chamber an empty case loaded a few rounds down. Never tried it with the P-64, but I'm guessing that it will.
steve98664

Good Range Day

Post by steve98664 »

Thanks for the info! Wolf is so easy to get, I'm really hoping after things break in that I can use it. Are you using 100 grain Wolf? I figured that might be my issue. I have heard that 90-95grain is optimal for P-64's. I'm going to try some HP 90 and 95 grain as mentioned if I can get it.